LOR writers: should they get thank you notes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IlianaSedai

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's the standard appropriate response to a clinical faculty member writing a letter of recommendation for your residency applications? Is a simple verbal "thank you" enough, or is a thank you note required?

Members don't see this ad.

I think it would be tacky if you did NOT give a thank you card. You are asking a person who really does not know you that well, who is likely overworked, and who may have several letters to write, to take the time to write you a letter which you are hoping (even expecting) to be an incredibly complimentary testament to your character. This is definately worth the little time and money that it takes to give a personalized thank you note.

Just my opinion. But I also get annoyed if someone doesn't send me a thank you note for a wedding gift I gave them.

scholes said:
I think it would be tacky if you did NOT give a thank you card. You are asking a person who really does not know you that well, who is likely overworked, and who may have several letters to write, to take the time to write you a letter which you are hoping (even expecting) to be an incredibly complimentary testament to your character. This is definately worth the little time and money that it takes to give a personalized thank you note.

Just my opinion. But I also get annoyed if someone doesn't send me a thank you note for a wedding gift I gave them.

I don't nec. agree with this, where as I do feel it is a nice thing to do, most of my letter writers I was on fairly good terms with, so I would speak with them about the application process throughout interviews, etc. When I matched, however, I made it a point to send each of them an email as to where I ended up and thank them for all of their help. If you want to send a thank you note, I would send an email, then keep in contact with them throughout the application process. IMHO.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I still see the letter writer almost every day and I just thanked him in person yesterday, so I wondered whether another note would seem silly and redundant. Certainly when I match, I'm going to be very thankful and I'd write a note telling him where I matched... but that is more than a year from now. Do y'all feel that a note is still wise, or would it be kinda dumb?

I don't think it's warranted, I think if you thank him in person, and keep in contact with him (what I did) that is fine. If you would feel more comfortable writing a thank you note, then do it if it puts your mind at ease.

I didn't see any of the attendings who wrote me letters after I applied for residency, so I sent them thank you cards. I think it is a nice gesture, even if you do see them throughout your interview process.

You should write thank you notes, even if you see your letter writer's every day. You have to be EXTRA polite and nice through the entire application process.

IlianaSedai said:
What's the standard appropriate response to a clinical faculty member writing a letter of recommendation for your residency applications? Is a simple verbal "thank you" enough, or is a thank you note required?
Why not take the extra few moments and write a thank you card? It's the professional thing to do.

What would you write in thank you note

"Dear Dr. X,

I just wanted to write you to tell you thank you for writing me a letter of recommendation for my application. I appreciated it very much. I felt like I learned a lot on my (surgical, pediatric, internal medicine, etc.) rotation with you and I am excited to make a career out of treating (surgical, pediatric, internal medicine, etc) patients. Thank you again for all your help.

Sincerely,
You"

If you know the person really well, you can make it more personal, but it's probably not necessary.

Reactions: 1 users
So I went about it a little differently. I asked all my letter writers in person. Followed up an email about a month into ERAS opening with a thank you already inside. Then when I matched, I sent an email to all my letter writers except for one where I matched to. The one I did not write a letter to was a program director of a residency I applied and interviewed at and then did not rank very highly at all, despite rotating there multiple time through med school. It would have just been a slap in the face. But I saw him on the interview, and obviously adequately thanked him again for all his assistance. It was kinda awkward because his letter as a residency director no doubt left a big impact on my application. :oops:

I would write a very short email of a few sentences saying how thankful you are and that you know he or she is busy. Once again, just a short thank you email.