LORs are ruining my life

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

BlackbirdFly

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
First of all I am having an existential crisis in that I am not really a true non-trad, I graduated in 2013 which is not that long ago, but I am also not a college senior who has access to all of my universities resources. I don't fit in anywhere ahhh!

I need two more LOR's from professors, at least one being a science professor. I cannot think of any sort of reality in which one of my professors from undergrad would write me a letter, let alone remember my name. And I don't live near my college so I can't knock on their door. I have two great letters from my employers, who both happen to be science professors because I work in a lab, but they were never MY professors, so apparently this doesn't count.

I can't believe this is the only thing holding my application back. I have everything else done on my end. I don't want to ask a random professor who taught me one course four years ago to write me a ****ty letter in which they just rephrase my resume because they don't know anything else about me and don't remember me at all. Actually who am I kidding? They wouldn't write it even if I asked! Some girl who took my class four years ago wants me to write her a letter? Nopeeeeeeeee.

This turned into a rant. But I guess what would you do in my situation? Or what did you do? Do you hate this process as much as I do sometimes? Thanks! Hope your day is going better than mine!
 
Can you call the schools and see if the letters would be accepted since you worked in the lab? I would still try to reach out to the professor and see if they would do the letter
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Call the professors and make an appointment to see them.

Do the work. Don't give up before you try.

I had to track down a humanities professor who taught me nine years prior.
 
Don't turn this into a bigger deal than it really is. You took presumably 40+ classes during college; surely out of the people who taught those 40 classes, there are two profs you can ask for letters. If you really don't know who to ask, pick a couple of profs who taught you in your major and/or during your senior year. Email them or call them and set up an appointment. If they're willing to write you a LOR, give them a copy of your CV and PS, and done. Unless you royally pissed them off somehow, most won't care or will be fine with talking to you. It's part of the job of being a prof. And the letters don't have to be absolutely amazing; they just have to be good. You follow me?
 
Don't turn this into a bigger deal than it really is. You took presumably 40+ classes during college; surely out of the people who taught those 40 classes, there are two profs you can ask for letters. If you really don't know who to ask, pick a couple of profs who taught you in your major and/or during your senior year. Email them or call them and set up an appointment. If they're willing to write you a LOR, give them a copy of your CV and PS, and done. Unless you royally pissed them off somehow, most won't care or will be fine with talking to you. It's part of the job of being a prof. And the letters don't have to be absolutely amazing; they just have to be good. You follow me?

Hahaha yes I absolutely follow. Thanks a bunch, seriously, dude, I think I was overreacting...
 
Update and overview because I feel this is necessary:

Monday I found out that some of my top choice schools require me to get two more letters from my undergraduate teachers. I freaked out.

Tuesday I took a deep breath, sucked it up, and emailed a few professors. Two science that I had literally never spoken to but got an A- in both of their classes, and a non-science professor that I was somewhat close with.

It's Wednesday, I have confirmation that the non-science prof will write me a letter, and one of the science profs has already written and submitted my letter. I took his class in 2010! What a nice guy.

Thanks everyone!