LoRs for residency - proofread by school dean's office?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ferroportin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I was applying for med school, my undergrad advising office read through all our letters of recommendation. Although, as with the ERAS application, we checked off the box that waives our right to see the letters, the advising office (which received and stored the letters) would let us know if they thought a particular letter would be disadvantageous for us to use. Is this also the case with med school and the residency application? Or is your dean's office not permitted to notify you in the unusual situation of an LoR likely having a negative effect on your application?

Members don't see this ad.

I think your dean's office could inform you if there was a bad letter, because waiving your right to view the letter doesn't mean someone can't discuss the contents of your letter with you (wait until you go on interviews, your interviewers will often discuss the contents of your letter directly with you). Whether or not your dean's office does this is varies amongst schools. I have definitely heard stories of people having bad letters and not knowing until someone mentioned it to them on an interview. If you choose people that know you well, you shouldn't have any problem with a bad letter!

I think there was a discussion not too long ago about waiving your right to view your letter, and would it be okay to see your letter if someone offered to show you. I think it was in the ERAS and NRMP forum if you are interested in reading more about it.

Edit: Here's the thread I mentioned: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=954685. Start with post #4.

Last edited: