LORs from foreigners

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

easb

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems like all 3 people who can write LORs for me came to the US from other countries. All of them prooved their degrees here, but their English is not 100% perfect, so I assume that they will not be able to write grammatically perfect LORs. Do you think it's ok? Did anyone have any similar experience with his/her LORs???

Members don't see this ad.

It seems like all 3 people who can write LORs for me came to the US from other countries. All of them prooved their degrees here, but their English is not 100% perfect, so I assume that they will not be able to write grammatically perfect LORs. Do you think it's ok? Did anyone have any similar experience with his/her LORs???

That breaks one of the major rules of LORs

1) Don't get letters from people who have not been around you professionally or academically.

2) Don't get letters from people who don't care or will only write generic things

3) Don't get letters from people who can't write professional letters or tell you to write your own and they'll sign it

It's always best to get an LOR from someone who can speak/write English like a native. If you have a choice, then get LORs from native speakers. If you don't, then take your chance. For all you know, they write really well, especially the professor.

Kevin