LORs from MD and DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GlobalDoctora

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have browsed through other threads and I have not seen this question answered....I have looked at the websites of DO schools that I am applying to (Western, AZCOM, OUHCOM,NSUCOM) and they state quite explicitly that they would like 1 letter from a science professor and 1 letter from a MD or DO (but DO is strongly preferred).

Now my question is this: I have 5 letters in total (2 science profs, 1 humanities, 1 MD and 1 DO) so are their letter requirements set in stone? My DO letter I believe is not as strong as the MD letter, only because I've worked with the MD doc for about 2.5 years. He knows me a lot more and I feel is better able to express why I would make a good physician. Should I call the different adcom offices? Does anyone know of other people who have sent both?

Please help. Thanks. :)

Members don't see this ad.

So I have browsed through other threads and I have not seen this question answered....I have looked at the websites of DO schools that I am applying to (Western, AZCOM, OUHCOM,NSUCOM) and they state quite explicitly that they would like 1 letter from a science professor and 1 letter from a MD or DO (but DO is strongly preferred).

Now my question is this: I have 5 letters in total (2 science profs, 1 humanities, 1 MD and 1 DO) so are their letter requirements set in stone? My DO letter I believe is not as strong as the MD letter, only because I've worked with the MD doc for about 2.5 years. He knows me a lot more and I feel is better able to express why I would make a good physician. Should I call the different adcom offices? Does anyone know of other people who have sent both?

Please help. Thanks. :)

I have gotten osteopathic letters from a FM and one who does exclusively OMM. I know I will only be sending the latter one to DO schools.
If the osteopathic physician you have shadowed is practicing..in the "traditional" sense.
I see why not.

Or you can just save it(Do letter) and send it to DO schools ONLY just to meet your criteria. And you want ones that make you as strong candidate as possible.

Sending letters from allo physicians to osteopathic institutions should not be something to worry abt.
What I really mean to say is: does your letter apply to the school you are trying to get in?

Last edited:
The DO is an alum for one of the schools that I am applying to. The MD obviously not a graduate of any of the schools :p Still I believe because of how long I've interacted with the MD it is my strongest letter of the two. I really would like to send both. Would it be preferable to send the MD letter after the secondary sort of as a way to 'poke' schools and remind them I'm still interested? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why not send them both?

I have an MD letter from a guy I shadowed for around 100 hours. Good letter.

I will have a letter from a DO that specializes in OMM that I shadowed for two days (16 hours). I asked him last month to write a letter, and he agreed. I will gently remind him this week to see if it is done yet with a firm deadline of the end of this month to get it to interfolio.

Guess which letter writer "knows me better?" It does not matter. The DO schools that I am applying to will get both, unless they strictly say that they ONLY want a certain number of letters and NO MORE!

dsoz

Send them all. Can't hurt.

Why not send them both?

I have an MD letter from a guy I shadowed for around 100 hours. Good letter.

I will have a letter from a DO that specializes in OMM that I shadowed for two days (16 hours). I asked him last month to write a letter, and he agreed. I will gently remind him this week to see if it is done yet with a firm deadline of the end of this month to get it to interfolio.

Guess which letter writer "knows me better?" It does not matter. The DO schools that I am applying to will get both, unless they strictly say that they ONLY want a certain number of letters and NO MORE!

dsoz

Send them all. Can't hurt.

:thumbup:

I sent both and was fine. In fact, I'm now contemplating sending a second DO letter to NSU in an attempt to get off their waitlist.

In your case, I agree with the above posters, it couldn't hurt.

:thumbup:

I sent both and was fine. In fact, I'm now contemplating sending a second DO letter to NSU in an attempt to get off their waitlist.

In your case, I agree with the above posters, it couldn't hurt.

Thanks guys! :)

I'll have six letters and will be sending them all since none of the schools I applied to have letter limits stated on their websites...