LORs...oops!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDee

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Trying to be on top of things, I requested to have my LOR's sent (to schools who give secondaries to all applicants) while I was waiting to be verified in order to expedite my secondaries' processing. However, the erudite scholar I am (big sarcasm here), noticed on Vermont's and Tulane's secondaries once I received them, that there is a limit (Vermont says 4 LORs/Tulane discourages more than 3 LORs). My school has a Composite letter that it sends out, and mine is comprised of 5 different LORs. Do you think this will hurt my application that I have more than they asked for?

Members don't see this ad.

Trying to be on top of things, I requested to have my LOR's sent (to schools who give secondaries to all applicants) while I was waiting to be verified in order to expedite my secondaries' processing. However, the erudite scholar I am (big sarcasm here), noticed on Vermont's and Tulane's secondaries once I received them, that there is a limit (Vermont says 4 LORs/Tulane discourages more than 3 LORs). My school has a Composite letter that it sends out, and mine is comprised of 5 different LORs. Do you think this will hurt my application that I have more than they asked for?

No, you'll be fine. Schools understand that you might need to need to send more than is required based on the mode of transmission and requirements of other schools.

No, probably not. I think most schools disregard the extra ones anyway, as they realize it's easier for individuals to just have their undergrads release everything. A while back, someone had a similar inquiry regarding Tulane and asked them about it. Their response was that it was no big deal if they're all part of one packet. Sounds to me like they deem three LOR's sufficient and don't want to piece together five separate LOR's for one application.

Members don't see this ad :)
No, probably not. I think most schools disregard the extra ones anyway, as they realize it's easier for individuals to just have their undergrads release everything. A while back, someone had a similar inquiry regarding Tulane and asked them about it. Their response was that it was no big deal if they're all part of one packet. Sounds to me like they deem three LOR's sufficient and don't want to piece together five separate LOR's for one application.

Right, they don't want your bombarding them with superfluous LORs that aren't part of a packet.

who are the best people to get LOR from??

Most schools ask for your premed committee to write one for you. If you don't have that, most require two LOR's from science professors and one from a humanities department. It's best to ask people who know you well, too.

A lot of schools consider the committee letter and the letters that make it up to be one LOR.

A lot of schools consider the committee letter and the letters that make it up to be one LOR.

Well, it's technically one letter, but a committee letter will supercede most school's individual letter requirements.