LORS when multiple application services are involved?

• Thread starter Deleted member 1077394
  • Start date
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

Deleted member 1077394

I'm studying for the MCAT right now. The MCAT will determine if I apply only DO or if I add some MD programs.

However, ideally, I'd like to co-apply MD and DO which means two different application services: AMCAS and AACOMAS.

What should I do for letters of rec? Some questions:

1.) I can't afford Interfolio right now. Is there any way around having them send to both AMCAS and AACOMAS? I don't want to impose on my letter writers more than I need to.

2.) I assume I can't see my own LORs to have them hand the letters straight to me for me to turn in. Is that correct?

3.) As it stands, I am planning to apply in summer 2021. If the MCAT goes terribly/I need to retake or I don't have the money to apply, I will delay until summer 2022. Can I have them send the letters now and have the letters sit in AMCAS/AACOMAS until I am ready to apply, whenever that may be?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm studying for the MCAT right now. The MCAT will determine if I apply only DO or if I add some MD programs.

However, ideally, I'd like to co-apply MD and DO which means two different application services: AMCAS and AACOMAS.

What should I do for letters of rec? Some questions:

1.) I can't afford Interfolio right now. Is there any way around having them send to both AMCAS and AACOMAS? I don't want to impose on my letter writers more than I need to.

2.) I assume I can't see my own LORs to have them hand the letters straight to me for me to turn in. Is that correct?

3.) As it stands, I am planning to apply in summer 2021. If the MCAT goes terribly/I need to retake or I don't have the money to apply, I will delay until summer 2022. Can I have them send the letters now and have the letters sit in AMCAS/AACOMAS until I am ready to apply, whenever that may be?

Thanks!
Great questions, but you are kind of worrying about nothing.

Interfolio only costs around $50/yr, and you don't have to pay until you need to send (i.e., setting up an account to receive LORs is free!). If you could do what you are asking about, there would be no need for Interfolio! In other words, although, like you, I have not yet applied, I am pretty sure AMCAS/AACOMAS will have nothing to match your letters to until you start an application, you can't start an application years in advance, and applications don't carry over from year to year.

So, no, you can't have letters sit in AMCAS/AACOMAS. That's precisely why companies like Interfolio provide the service!! Also, they are totally separate, so yes, if you are applying to both, you'll need to send letters to both. Finally, yes, letters have to come right from the writers, not through you. Again, this is precisely why services like Interfolio exist, unless you want to wait and have your writers send directly to AAMC/AACOMAS when the time comes.

Just set up Interfolio now to receive the letters, and accept that you will be paying $48 (or whatever they charge when the time comes) when you need them. It's nothing compared to what a cycle is going to cost you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Great questions, but you are kind of worrying about nothing.

Interfolio only costs around $50/yr, and you don't have to pay until you need to send (i.e., setting up an account to receive LORs is free!). If you could do what you are asking about, there would be no need for Interfolio! In other words, although, like you, I have not yet applied, I am pretty sure AMCAS/AACOMAS will have nothing to match your letters to until you start an application, you can't start an application years in advance, and applications don't carry over from year to year.

So, no, you can't have letters sit in AMCAS/AACOMAS. That's precisely why companies like Interfolio provide the service!! Also, they are totally separate, so yes, if you are applying to both, you'll need to send letters to both. Finally, yes, letters have to come right from the writers, not through you. Again, this is precisely why services like Interfolio exist, unless you want to wait and have your writers send directly to AAMC/AACOMAS when the time comes.

Just set up Interfolio now to receive the letters, and accept that you will be paying $48 (or whatever they charge when the time comes) when you need them. It's nothing compared to what a cycle is going to cost you.

Thank you so much!!!

Reactions: 1 user