LORs?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

necta

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! Just wondering what people think the best sources of LORs are? Should I be so bold as to ask some of the physicians I work with? Should I approach some paramedic collegues? Any and all suggestions are highly welcome! Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Looking back, I got two seperate types of LORs.

First is the 3 required by my preprofessional committee...I got the professors that I knew were ultra friendly and I did well in their classes. I made sure at least one of them was by professor that knew me well.

Second, I shadowed a LOT of physicians the year before I applied. Both MD and DO. Out of these I was offered two LOR and they wrote me some awesome ones. I felt it was my mannerism and the fact we had lots of fun shadowing that led to those letters. I felt this was a strong part of my application as every DO school I interviewed at I was admitted to.

Thats my take on LORs...make sure they sing for you.

IMO, I think the best resources of LORs are from the people who know you best. If you worked with a physician, I think you should ask her/him if they would feel comfortable writing a good LOR on your behalf. As for the writers, I think that most places ask for a science professor and a physician. Some schools, such as OSU-COM, VCOM, and LECOM (I can't remember the rest) require a DO LOR and will not make any substitutions. PCOM i know offhand wants a committee LOR also or the Dean of your university. The number of letters varies from school to school. MSUCOM requires 2 LORs from people who know you extremely well and do not necessarily have to be science profs and physicians.

I know of a couple of people who did not know any DO's, so they found some through various methods of cold calling and asked for an interview so that the DO could get to know the applicant and all the relevant material on the CV so that an LOR could be written. With HIPAA, it may be difficult to find a physician to shadow, so you may want to meet with one a couple of times to ask questions, etc.

I worked with physicians and asked for an LOR. I got both an MD and a DO LOR and a couple of science profs from a LONG time ago. My interviewers told me that my LORs were phenomenal and that they just "loved" me. So, I guess you can say that I had some GREAT LORS!

GOOD LUCK!