LOR's

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UBCGIRL14

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just heard back from a professor regarding an LOR. He says he is more than happy to write me an LOR that states he doesnt know me very well on a personal basis but that he feels I performed well in his classes which suggests my competence for post-grad school. Is it okay if the letter is not on a personal level?

Members don't see this ad.

yeah. it's more of an "academic reference" as opposed to a "reference letter" per se. however, i did that as well and it was fine; just make sure you do get some "better" ones to boost yourself. try to get one from a prof who does know you on a personal level.

UBCGIRL14 said:
I just heard back from a professor regarding an LOR. He says he is more than happy to write me an LOR that states he doesnt know me very well on a personal basis but that he feels I performed well in his classes which suggests my competence for post-grad school. Is it okay if the letter is not on a personal level?

UBCGIRL14 said:

use this only as last resort.
try to get more personable references or more references than requested.

Members don't see this ad :)
dang...I thought this was a thread on the Lord of The Rings...my bad

I asked a prof at the start of the semister this year, and it was the same deal he would base the letter soley on grade performance. I also asked a TA whom I knew pretty well to write a letter as well. Some schools will accept TA letters, aslong as its signed off on by the teaching prof, which most profs are more than happy to do.

do you think any professor will be evil enough to say ...'sure ill write you a LOR,' then in turn they say bad things about you. that would be a nightmare.

3eb4me said:
do you think any professor will be evil enough to say ...'sure ill write you a LOR,' then in turn they say bad things about you. that would be a nightmare.

i'm sure the majority of them don't/won't, but i personally know a prof (he told me) that did that. evil, yes indeed.

jcaco said:
i'm sure the majority of them don't/won't, but i personally know a prof (he told me) that did that. evil, yes indeed.

Over the summer, I was responsible for shredding old old applications. I didn't find anything BAD (though I wasn't really looking), but I did see one or two where the professor was like, "This person asked me to to write them a recommendation. I don't really know them, but their grades are okay."

I'm thinking, if you don't know them, why would you agree to write the rec?

Anyhoo, if you can find a professor who really knows you or at least has an idea of your work ethic, go with that.

I did have one LOR from an OD that I hadn't really been working with for very long. I felt he would write me a good recommendation, but he probably didn't know me as well as someone writing recommendations should. I tried to make up for it by putting together a packet of information about me...transcript, resume, etc. That might be overkill, but I thought it was best to play it safe. :)