jbernar1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2004
Visit site
Status
For those living in LA, does the benefits of being in LA (weather, activities, entertainment, weather, etc.) outweigh the cost of living?

bof

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2004
Status
Non-Student
any angelino will tell you yes, or else they wouldn't be living there. ;)

jbernar1 said:
For those living in LA, does the benefits of being in LA (weather, activities, entertainment, weather, etc.) outweigh the cost of living?

Siggy

10+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2004
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
But why would anyone want to live in LA? Orange County is such a nicer place to live. (and the show, "The OC," is crap).

OP
J

jbernar1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2004
Visit site
Status
bof said:
any angelino will tell you yes, or else they wouldn't be living there. ;)
Actually, I have a couple of friends who ended up there through the match who would say no which is why I am asking around trying to get a general consensus.

Vince

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2001
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
I might match into a residency in the LA area.....but don't really think I'll want to stay in the area to practice.....2 main reasons:

1. Cost of living
2. Traffic. :mad:

BigTree

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2005
Status
No, its not worth it. The cost of living is not actually that bad, but the quality of life out here is just not that great. The air is yellow and you spend a lot of your free time in the car. Not much as far as parks and beautiful public space (unless you live at the beach)

And by the way....Orange County is worse. Orange county is seriously a cultural wasteland. Its scary there. (grew up there).

After living in LA for 9 yrs I'm gladly checking out and heading to the northeast.

Reactions: Crayola227

surg4me

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2004
Status
I have lived in LA county for >10 years...and it depends on what you value more...

LA is a great city to live in or be close to...everything is there...restaurants, theaters, night life, major sports centers, and the weather (if you don't count the summer smog) etc.

then there is cost...my SO just found a studio near Westwood (UCLA area, or 15 min west of downtown LA<--don't live there...for $1200/mo which includes private enclosed parking and laundry rooms, but doesn't include any utility or property maintenance bills)...this is a middle of the road apt...not too shabby but nothing to brag about either.

she doesn't need to drive much for work and stuff, but if you plan to drive a lot, it's a nightmare, esp the 405 and 10.

I have seen LA traffic turn from moderate to severe and simply horrible within the last few years and honestly, I we're not plan on living in LA county for much longer (we're planning on moving within the next year or so)...just not worth it for us...the smog (I now get headaches occassionally) and sitting on the freeway for 10 minutes to move 100 ft is horrible...it's just too bad LA has one of the worst public transportation sys of any large city...and it's pretty much too late to implement a good system now.

backontop

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2005
Status
wow,

i'm surprised of people's opinions on LA. I've been in the NY area for 5yrs, and am leaving with my first choice to go to being southern california i'm gonna say that NY also has traffic and smog and high rents, but at least souther california weather is awesome (and the beach!). Southern california weather is probably the best in the nation right? ( at least way better than new york). Someone wrote a thread about moving to the northeast; what do you think makes that area better than souther california?? the weather here is intolerable for at least 6 months of the year ( 4-5 months of winter and 1-2 months of ridiculous humidity). the fact that you can stand outside on 95% of the days without shivering is an awesome thing. I'm not sure about LA traffic; I know it's bad, but i have spent 2hrs to go 20 miles here (not sure if that compares or not//). also, i don't know orange county, but newark ond camden NJ have to be worse.

let me know what you think...... maybe i'm way off base and will end up changing my mind

sohsie

15+ Year Member
Mar 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
backontop said:
wow,

i'm surprised of people's opinions on LA. I've been in the NY area for 5yrs, and am leaving with my first choice to go to being southern california i'm gonna say that NY also has traffic and smog and high rents, but at least souther california weather is awesome (and the beach!). Southern california weather is probably the best in the nation right? ( at least way better than new york). Someone wrote a thread about moving to the northeast; what do you think makes that area better than souther california?? the weather here is intolerable for at least 6 months of the year ( 4-5 months of winter and 1-2 months of ridiculous humidity). the fact that you can stand outside on 95% of the days without shivering is an awesome thing. I'm not sure about LA traffic; I know it's bad, but i have spent 2hrs to go 20 miles here (not sure if that compares or not//). also, i don't know orange county, but newark ond camden NJ have to be worse.

let me know what you think...... maybe i'm way off base and will end up changing my mind
Nope, you're absolutely right. I lived in the northeast for ~15 years. The day I stepped off the plane in SoCal, I knew I would someday come back, never to return. SoCal is awesome. Great weather, great beaches, Las Vegas within driving distance, skiing within reasonable driving distance, Disneyland, Wallyworld (acutally, its called Magic Mountain :) and best of all, football starts at 10AM on Sundays with no local team! Yeah, its expensive and traffic sucks, but it isn't any worse than NY. Besides, who wants to shovel snow and scrape ice off your car?

redhotchiligochu

D3
2+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2016
USA
Status
Dental Student
I've been living in LA. My answer? Hell no. IMHO, nice weather does not justify $3 million <2000 sq ft home with no garage. Factor in 9% sales tax with 10-13% self-employment tax, and property tax and all kinds of other Californian taxes, even a 6-figure income will make you feel miserly.

redhotchiligochu

D3
2+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2016
USA
Status
Dental Student
I've been living in LA. My answer? Hell no. IMHO, nice weather does not justify $3 million <2000 sq ft home with no garage. Factor in 9% sales tax with 10-13% self-employment tax, and property tax and all kinds of other Californian taxes, even a 6-figure income will make you feel miserly.
Not to mention that whereas the Northeast people are generally educated, Angelenos are "follow the bandwagon" type and hey, if Kim Kardashian says so or does so, she must be correct, right?

Siggy

10+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2004
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Not to mention that whereas the Northeast people are generally educated, Angelenos are "follow the bandwagon" type and hey, if Kim Kardashian says so or does so, she must be correct, right?
...and that's why you really want to live in Orange County and not LA.

Orange County is class, LA is trash.

Doctor4Life1769

**tr0llin, ridin dirty**
10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2008
Where the grass is always greener
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Necrobump ftw

Siggy

10+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2004
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
In my defense, I just made an account today, and I thought I read year 15 instead of 05, my bad, feel free to shred me apart while I die of embarassment lol
The problem is that it's simply not fair to pick on someone living in LA... you poor things on the other side of the Orange Curtain just can't help it.

Raryn

Infernal Internist / Enigmatic Endocrinologist
10+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2008
Status
Attending Physician

Giovanotto

5+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Garbage city, all of it. Want to go somewhere? You're going to have to drive, er, no, I mean, you're going to have to sit in traffic in first gear while your kneecap is contemplating exploding itself from the "car," which thanks to SoCal weather is now a box of heat and best of all, its going to take you nearly infinity to do all the "fun" things the beautiful LA landscape "provides". What a joke.

Don't get me started on hitting the bars. You're looking at taking out a mortgage for a corona, no lime, mind you, what is this luxury you speak of.

Yeah...

Last edited:

coninuteremedia

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 28, 2011
Status
Medical Student
I would much rather live in San Diego.
I lived in SD for a while and let me tell you, it's going to **** as well. Over population is a real problem there now. It's becoming LA fast with traffic. Also, the water situation isn't the greatest. While it's beautiful, the overflow from LA is ruining it.

Reactions: Giovanotto