Where do LOS ANGELES based residents live?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nonphysiologic

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

If you do a residency in Los Angeles where do residents live? Housing seems totally unaffordable for one person on a residents salary. I'm going to be doing a second fellowship in LA near Marina Del Rey area and I can't find anything but seemingly out dated and small studios for 1.2K

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

If you do a residency in Los Angeles where do residents live? Housing seems totally unaffordable for one person on a residents salary. I'm going to be doing a second fellowship in LA near Marina Del Rey area and I can't find anything but seemingly out dated and small studios for 1.2K

Cardboard boxes.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys,

I'm more familiar with the SF market than LA, but $1.2k sounds good to me, especially if it's near the hospital. I'd go for that, or get something bigger with a roomate, but a studio is plenty of space if you're single and haven't accumulated too much stuff. Stay as close to your primary hospital as possible--there are different schools of thought, but in my opinion it makes life so much better/easier as long as it's an OK neighborhood.

Reactions: 1 user
Agree that $1200/mo is not unreasonable for a studio in LA. Hem, it's exactly what I paid for an outdated (but clean and close to RWJ) studio during my fellowship in NJ 10 years ago.

OP things just cost more in certain places and $1200 is not unreasonable for a single person on a fellows salary. But you can get a roommate if you need to.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Many LA residents room with somebody else.

If you're out towards MDR, you might wanna check out playa vista or el segundo....there are some OK places in the 1300-1500 range.

I have an 1BR apartment with a $1400 rent on a fellow's salary. You have plenty to make do with what you have unless you are spending extraneously every week.