losing all hope in maryland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

julie56

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
as the days go by i am losing all hope in getting an interview at maryland, anyone else feel the same?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm right there with you! And, I think it's pretty much over for us now... :(

I could take a rejection post-interview, but damn they won't even interview me! I always taught that I would - at least - get an interview from my alma mater...

Sucks not to even get an interview at your top choice! :mad:

i'm in the same boat as both of you. maryland's my top choice and i haven't heard a peep from them. then again, i haven't heard a peep from most of the schools i applied to, and i was complete at most in august. 6 months! argh! as anyone heard anything about how full maryland's class is, how frequently their adcom meets, etc?

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe Maryland had an adcom meeting yesterday. Best of Luck to you all :luck: :luck: :luck:

I'm not sure when the meetings are, but I think they have them every two weeks. Also, there is this person who posts on the other UMD thread (for accepted people) and s/he knows the exact dates. I think s/he is an MSII at UMD... Cytoskeleton? or something like that...? :confused:

Has anyone tried calling the admissions office recently? I sent an update/interest letter to Dr. Foxwell about 2-3 weeks ago, but I have heard nothing since then. I don't even know if he is allowed to "communicate" with current applicants. Someone told me he couldn't. So, I'm starting to think that I wasted my time and should have sent my letter to the adcoms instead... :(

Yea, I agree with you guys, I think it's over. This rejection letter gonna hurt a lot.

nervouspremed said:
Yea, I agree with you guys, I think it's over. This rejection letter gonna hurt a lot.

Has anyone actually heard from a reliable source that they are finished giving out invitations, or is everyone just assuming they are since it's getting so late in the process?

Emily

I think everyone is "assuming" it's over, cuz everyone is too scared to call, ask the question straight, and get the death sentence... Denial, I guess. :rolleyes:

I know I'm in denial! As nervous said, this rejection is gonna hurt. I don't wanna get it yet... :scared:

So I called them today and some b1tch answered the phone. She didn't even let me ask my f*ckin' question, cut me off, and told to check the status page. I tried to explain that 1) it didn't say anything except "complete" and that 2) that was NOT my damn question (since I was gonna ask if they were done sending out invites). In vain... She cut me off again and told me that she couldn't tell me anything more that what was on the status page. So, I ended up cutting her short to tell her: May I please ask my question before you attempt to answer it???? After that, she actually listened to the question and said: "we'll be interviewing until the end of March." Notice that this is NOT the answer to the question I asked, but I just gave up at that point.

Jesus Christ! I paid the damn application fee and I expect that someone will - at least - listen to my question before telling me that they can't answer it!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

a) The ppl who answer the phone there are ALWAYS rude. b) I have been complete for 3 months and I haven't even received a letter or email saying what the status of my application is (hold??) c) They didn't acknowledge any of my update/interest letters. Didn't say if they received them. Nothing. d) I can't even ask if they received them, since I can't ask any questions!!!!!!

This school is really going from the very top of my list to the very bottom each day that goes by. Maybe it's actually a good thing. I don't really care anymore and it won't hurt that much when I finally get the rejection!

Sorry for venting. Just had to. +pissed+

People who answers phone at Maryland are bunch of jerks. After my experience, I would only go there if I didn't get accepted anywhere else.

Seriously, guys. You clearly talked with a 'bad apple' in the admissions office, but they are not all that way. When I called back in December, I talked to a really friendly, nice woman. I know that doesn't necessarily change your feelings, since there's no excuse for rudeness, but one person doesn't reflect an entire institution. In any case, it sounds like this lady should be shown the door.

I'm sorry to hear that you guys had some difficulties with the phone staff. I have had only very positive experiences at Maryland. At one point I called their regular contact number and ended up getting Dean Wilson on the phone- who then took the time to review my file with me on the spot to answer my questions. Try not to let one staffer influence your decisions.

Hey guys!

It appears as though I am in a similiar situation as most people on this "thread." I too have UMB ranked as my top choice with no word yet (complete since August). I agree with the all of you... there is one not so nice lady that answers the phone - I have gone through the "check your status online" thing with her 3X. But the other day (last week I believe), to my surprise, I did speak with a very pleasant woman who kindly informed me that they are interviewing through March but will take another look in April. I am not sure how this is going to work with interviews being over and all. Perhaps this was just her kind way of telling me to hold off on my post rejection cursing and ranting.

Well I just wanted to let you all know that you are not alone and I have not given up - maybe overly optimistic or just so fed up with the system that I have become numb to it all.

Best of luck to everyone!!!

Hey starfruit,

I know you are right. All the secretaries can't be bad. Maybe it's just the one I talked to. And, maybe I just happen to talk to the same nasty person each time. My luck! :oops: I probably over-reacted, but God knows she pushed me. I can easily get sad or frustrated or impatient, but I very very rarely get angry.

Actually, I don't even think that it's the nasty secretary who pissed me off. I'm just drained by this process. It just really hurts that UMD won't even interview me. I mean, I'm a good applicant... Not a "top" applicant but, hey, Maryland is a good school - not a "top" school. And, I went to UMD and for four years, each semester, Dr. Foxwell came to campus and talked about the SOM. I went to his talk each time (yes, I listened to the same speech 8 times, semester after semester!) And, each time, I patiently waited until the end of the speech to get a chance to talk to him. Each time, I told him how much I liked the school and asked what I should do to become a better candidate. I listened to everything he said and did my best to follow his advice... UMD has just been my dream since I was a freshman... Yet, despite everything I did, they won't even give me a chance to interview...

But, anyway. Enough +pity+

KiKat37 said:
Hey starfruit,

I know you are right. All the secretaries can't be bad. Maybe it's just the one I talked to. And, maybe I just happen to talk to the same nasty person each time. My luck! :oops: I probably over-reacted, but God knows she pushed me. I can easily get sad or frustrated or impatient, but I very very rarely get angry.

Actually, I don't even think that it's the nasty secretary who pissed me off. I'm just drained by this process. It just really hurts that UMD won't even interview me. I mean, I'm a good applicant... Not a "top" applicant but, hey, Maryland is a good school - not a "top" school. And, I went to UMD and for four years, each semester, Dr. Foxwell came to campus and talked about the SOM. I went to his talk each time (yes, I listened to the same speech 8 times, semester after semester!) And, each time, I patiently waited until the end of the speech to get a chance to talk to him. Each time, I told him how much I liked the school and asked what I should do to become a better candidate. I listened to everything he said and did my best to follow his advice... UMD has just been my dream since I was a freshman... Yet, despite everything I did, they won't even give me a chance to interview...

But, anyway. Enough +pity+

Kikat, I know exactly how you feel. Not to be bitter or anything, but from all my experiences of calling schools, UMD has been the rudest one. When I called other schools, I am hoping that they will tell me something different than you're still under review and please call back in couple weeks, but when I called UMD, I am hoping that they will not b1tch at me for calling and actually take the time to answer my questions. One time, the lady snapped at me and said you realized that we have over 2000 applicants, and implying that I am insensitive to be calling her and asking about my status. But do they realize that this process is mentally draining, and we need some info on our file after waiting patiently for 6 months, and plus all other school are taking their time to answer our question and check our status, what make them so special that they have to b1tch at us when we call. I will love to attend UMD, but they definitely need to change those ppl that answer the phone for UMD. That's just my thos, good luck all, and hope we all get into somewhere that we love to attend.

I will say that every time I called, I must have reached the b!tch lady. Maryland has been the worst school to correspond with for me during this whole process.

KiKat37 said:
I went to UMD and for four years, each semester, Dr. Foxwell came to campus and talked about the SOM. I went to his talk each time (yes, I listened to the same speech 8 times, semester after semester!) And, each time, I patiently waited until the end of the speech to get a chance to talk to him. Each time, I told him how much I liked the school and asked what I should do to become a better candidate. I listened to everything he said and did my best to follow his advice... UMD has just been my dream since I was a freshman...

Have you laid it out like this in a letter to Dr. Foxwell? Sometimes being blunt and heartfelt, and making it personal, can change minds in the Admissions Office. I know I was moved by your story. Just a thought. :idea:
In any case, I'm happy to see you've had some interest from other schools! :luck:

I have found their admissions office to be extremely rude, unknowledgeable, and inefficient and this is a poor reflection on the Dean and the school at large. Many may agree of disagree but this is a fact. Thus, they did me a favor by not interviewing me. They also need to fix their online application website as it misbehaves far too often.

I too feel that the University of Maryland is entirely too arbitrary in the way they admit people. I know of several out-of-state applicants with very, very mediocre credentials who got in because they were "interesting." Initially, I would have loved to have gone there myself and I was surprised that I did not even get an interview. After a while, I actually forgot that I had applied there and UMD was originally my top choice!

That said, many people on these boards seem to have lost sight of the fact that winning an interview is in fact a privilege - not a mandate. We are asking medical schools to honor our request for admission and we must accept their final response – whatever that is- and move on. If the school believes I am not right for their curriculum then I do not want to be at that school because we are not a reciprocal match. Who here wants to be in a relationship that is one-sided? There will be much greater challenges in medical school and residency than merely gaining admission. Keeping this in perspective has really helped me.…..just my two cents worth.

Friendly said:
I too feel that the University of Maryland is entirely too arbitrary in the way they admit people. I know of several out-of-state applicants with very, very mediocre credentials who got in because they were "interesting." Initially, I would have loved to have gone there myself and I was surprised that I did not even get an interview. After a while, I actually forgot that I had applied there and UMD was originally my top choice!

That said, many people on these boards seem to have lost sight of the fact that winning an interview is in fact a privilege - not a mandate. We are asking medical schools to honor our request for admission and we must accept their final response – whatever that is- and move on. If the school believes I am not right for their curriculum then I do not want to be at that school because we are not a reciprocal match. Who here wants to be in a relationship that is one-sided? There will be much greater challenges in medical school and residency than merely gaining admission. Keeping this in perspective has really helped me.…..just my two cents worth.

I don't agree with your inference that acceptance of "interesting" candidates is necessarilly a bad thing. Schools try and put together a diverse class of people who they think will make good doctors, and high numbers are one of, but not the only, indicator of this. But I do like your last paragraph.

starfruit said:
Have you laid it out like this in a letter to Dr. Foxwell? Sometimes being blunt and heartfelt, and making it personal, can change minds in the Admissions Office. I know I was moved by your story. Just a thought. :idea:
In any case, I'm happy to see you've had some interest from other schools! :luck:

Hey Starfruit,

Thanks for the advice. I did send a letter to Dr. Foxwell, telling him that Maryland was my first choice. I also explained why I liked the school so much and tried to show that I would be a good fit for their program. But, no, I didn't give him my story the way I put it out there on this thread. It think it's way too cheesy for a med school. :oops:

As Law2doc wrote, I want a school to offer me an interview because they think I'm a good match for their program - not because they feel sorry for me. My frustration with Maryland arises from the fact that I know many people who got accepted there (some of my classmates at UMCP) and who should never have gotten into med school IMHO. Not because they didn't have the numbers - they did have the numbers... But, because they were going into it for the wrong reasons. And , for all those people, UMD was a back-up. I just have trouble understanding why they would rather interview people going into medicine for the wrong reasons and who didn't really wanna attend UMD... instead of people truly interested in medicine and UMD... ??

But, maybe I'm just bitter. Again, as low2doc said, we have to accept decisions and move on. I'll probably get my rejection soon anyway. I do believe that things happen for a reason. So, if UMD doesn't interview me, maybe it's for the best. Maybe I'll be happier at another school.