Losing your pre-med advisor is tough...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

southpawcannon

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As you may can guess from my title, I attend the university where the shooting took place on Friday. We lost three professors while three other individuals survived. Of those we lost, one was my pre-med advisor. I was begininning to get to know this guy, who was pretty tough and honest, but a great person who always wanted his students to succeed, and more importantly, wanted to know about your life, what makes you involved in the activities and work you do. I remember early on, he told me 'I don't admit people to medical school.' He also said it's not his job to tell me I can't get into medical school. Basicall,y a way of him saying, 'I will guide you and you have to do the work.' My first encounter, I thought it would be a brief one...you know, walk in for 20 minutes, and get going....Well, I wanted to make a good first impression, so I never said I have to leave(although I needed to after some time). I was in there for almost two hours with him, realizing it was time to go. But, it was a great first meeting with him. He would pay close attention to my words, observed my body language, saying to treat each time I come in like an interview. Like a medical school interview. As I visited him more, the meetings with him became less interview-like and more relaxed...discussing my past experiences with sports medicine, working with high school kids, sub teaching, to which he said 'Now, tell me about that. What was that like?' We would get off on tangents, talk about basketball, especially local high school basketball, being the high school I take care of is rivals with another in the city, and we are always in the running for state playoffs each year....The last time I went in, a few weeks ago, we had a great conversation. I told him in detail my options of how I was planning to take classes, cut back on work, hopefully earn a scholarship for next year to pay for school, etc. On a few occasions, he would provide a comparison of two applicants, one who took 8 hrs and worked full-time and the one who took maybe 16 hrs and worked much less if at all. And would ask 'now, which one of those you think will get accepted?' I knew where he was heading...and he replied, agreeing with the latter student, saying 'because you can't use work as an excuse in medical school, because you won't work.' I told him about my interest in pursuing a rigorous MS in Nutrition, and wanted to take his Nutritional Physiology course next year. After my pre-med advising last weekend, I was looking forward to going back to him to tell him what I found out, and that I'm feeling better than ever about what I want to do with myself and how confident I feel that sooner or later, I will get there. I emailed him Friday afternoon, inquiring about an on-campus service organization, and wanted to know how I could do more and be a part of it. This, as I learned, I sent to him at the time of which he just went to the meeting, where he didn't return from.

Many of my classmates know this guy very well, from his classes, leading the Alpha Epsilon Delta pre-med society at the university, being their advisors over their whole academic career. Many hurt even more, not only because of his loss, but the loss and injuries to others, as they were professors, advisors, and friends as well. Some who knew everyone well. Some who even knew the shooter from having a class with her. For myself, and others, to have to start all over with a new advisor, who not only will evaluate you academically, but get to know you personally and care deeply about you, how you are and what you are going to do with your life, is gonna be just damn difficult. I was hoping that this guy could be one who could write my letter of recommendation for medical school next year. I was hoping that I could come back to this guy one day to say with a smile 'I DID IT' and 'THANK YOU!'

Anyhow, I just wanted to share with you these thoughts. Everyone here have been great throughout the time I have been on student doctor. I might be seeking more advice from you guys for some time about my goal of becoming a physician. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
What an enormous loss for your school, community, and his friends & family. He sounds like the kind of person we all aspire to be. Tough, honest, supportive, and generous with his time.

My deepest condolences. When you do make it into med school you should write a letter to his family. I know it would mean the world to them to see that his life still bears fruit in the lives he touched.

Keep us posted with your progress. All the best.

I'm sorry to hear about yours and the school's loss :( He sounded like a pretty stand up guy. Any questions you have I'll try to help help answer.

This sucks.
Sorry for your loss.
I feel like we need to do something about gun violence. I know there are many law abiding gun owners, but I can't help but feel that we need to do something differently to make ourselves more safe. Maybe we should make anyone who wants to buy a gun submit to psychological testing periodically, like every few years, just to make sure they aren't really paranoid and don't have delusional thinking, psychosis, etc. and don't have a record of arrest or involvement in previous gun violence episodes. I am wondering how this lady got a gun if she was involved w/shooting her brother years ago. This is all sad for all those involved...I'll bet she had depression with psychosis, or some other mental disorder.

This sucks.
Sorry for your loss.
I feel like we need to do something about gun violence. I know there are many law abiding gun owners, but I can't help but feel that we need to do something differently to make ourselves more safe. Maybe we should make anyone who wants to buy a gun submit to psychological testing periodically, like every few years, just to make sure they aren't really paranoid and don't have delusional thinking, psychosis, etc. and don't have a record of arrest or involvement in previous gun violence episodes. I am wondering how this lady got a gun if she was involved w/shooting her brother years ago. This is all sad for all those involved...I'll bet she had depression with psychosis, or some other mental disorder.
People are already required to go through a background check when they buy a gun and/or apply for a concealed weapon permit. Unfortunately, a background check of any kind would not have prevented this tragedy, because this woman apparently didn't own the gun she used. One of the articles mentioned that the police don't know where it came from. There is no way to subject people who steal guns or buy them on the street to background checks.

Regardless, this discussion of gun law policy is getting off-topic. SPC, is there any kind of memorial fund being set up in honor of the victims? If you find out about one, we can make an announcement on SDN in case people want to donate.

Thank you all. Still seems a bit surreal, as we all here continue to say. Today seems like a normal day, yet, we know it's not. Their absence will be greater felt once classes resume next week, as everyone will re-enter that building and go back to the classes where these professors once stood and taught. Yet, we will work to not have our university defined locally and nationally by tragedy. Rather, we will 'Charge On' to ensure our university is recognized as a safe, friendly environment for higher learning.

Q, thanks for asking about a memorial fund. One fund has been set up at a local bank to directly assist the families. I'll have to get a clarification on how one might want to donate to this fund via online. There has been a memorial scholarship created, called UAH Department of Biological Sciences Memorial Scholarship. It is stated that this scholarship will go only to Biology majors. Per a student's post on Facebook, donations are to be mailed to:

UAH Office of University Advancement, Huntsville,AL 35899

Write out the check to: Foundation for Excellence at UAHuntsville
In the memo line, write: UAH Department of Biological Sciences Memorial Scholarship

I'm certain many SDN'ers have had a Podila, Davis or Johnson at some point during their academic career or life. Please add the following links into your announcement on SDN, so that everyone will understand who these professors were, their achievements, their impact on lives in academia and in the community.

http://blog.al.com/breaking/2010/02/dr_gopi_podila_believed_biotec.html

http://blog.al.com/breaking/2010/02/dr_maria_ragland_davis_had_ton.html

http://blog.al.com/breaking/2010/02/biology_professor_adriel_johns.html

On behalf of everyone, thank you all,

SPC