Lost CII script

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EML9255

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Apparently someone dropped off a vyvanse script at my store last night around 6 (i left work at 4 yesterday and off today, just got this from my tech texting me), came to pick it up, its in ready status but it is completely MIA

My wags takes pictures to verify the rx's and theres a pic with the correct bottle w the correct leaflet but apparently no one can find the actual prescription in any of the bins or anywhere in the pharmacy. She said they looked everywhere like 5x

where the hell is it? its still in ready status and there are no other rx's picked up with the same last name any time recently, the rx number isnt on any of the ID logs. If it was given to the wrong pt i would assume it would be on the logs or in sold status.

We've had floaters last few days so I know this is going to become my problem when I go to work tomorrow. We should get more vyvanse in to be able to fill it again tomorrow but i dont even know if i feel comfortable doign that until the missing ones are found, but its not the pts fault it has gone MIA so cant really deny them the med

edit: I am referring to the actual rx bag with the pt leaflet and bottle inside. The paper prescription is correctly filed and accounted for

any thoughts on how to handle this? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Apparently someone dropped off a vyvanse script at my store last night around 6 (i left work at 4 yesterday and off today, just got this from my tech texting me), came to pick it up, its in ready status but it is completely MIA

My wags takes pictures to verify the rx's and theres a pic with the correct bottle w the correct leaflet but apparently no one can find the actual prescription in any of the bins or anywhere in the pharmacy. She said they looked everywhere like 5x

where the hell is it? its still in ready status and there are no other rx's picked up with the same last name any time recently, the rx number isnt on any of the ID logs. If it was given to the wrong pt i would assume it would be on the logs or in sold status.

We've had floaters last few days so I know this is going to become my problem when I go to work tomorrow. We should get more vyvanse in to be able to fill it again tomorrow but i dont even know if i feel comfortable doign that until the missing ones are found, but its not the pts fault it has gone MIA so cant really deny them the med

any thoughts on how to handle this? thanks

@EML9255
The video camera is your best friend. I would talk to the store manager and watch the video from the moment that script was dropped off until the time that people started to look for it frantically. Here are some things you can do:
1. Check the PMP to see if that script has been filled elsewhere between yesterday and today. This might help you find out if a staff member took the script to another pharmacy to get it filled.
2. Check every trash bin.
3. See if it was perhaps misfiled with the non-controlled prescriptions.
4. If after doing all of the above you still can't find it. I would notify the doctor of the mishap as well as your supervisor. I would also let the other major retailers in your area know that they may be getting a script with the Name X,Y and to not fill it. I would also fax them the script.

The video recording should help you trace where the script is. It will be time consuming and you should get that started ASAP.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Apotheker2015

They have the hard copy prescription that was filed correctly.

The actual bag with the pt leaflet and pill bottle are what are missing

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
They have the hard copy prescription that was filed correctly.

The actual bag with the pt leaflet and pill bottle are what are missing

This happens a lot at my wags, unfortunately. First thing we usually check is to make sure the counts are straight and it wasn't put back or something without being stored on the profile. If not, then we will do a bin rec and see if there are other discrepancies. Maybe the tech rung out the correct rx for another patient, but handed them the wrong bag. We sometimes go through all of the ready bags to make sure it didn't accidentally end up in another bag. One time, we had to cold call everyone who picked up an rx the day it went missing and ask to verify they had their medications and not someone else's.

Really hope you find it!

bin rec is a good idea, ill have them do one tomorrow if they havent found it by then

Yes I told them to have the store manager pull the video this morning when I got the text

Dk if they've done it yet will do it tomorrow if they did not

In the mean time, you have to get Vyvanse for the the patient that was supposed to get it.

Our C2 order comes tomorrow and we should get some in

Thank you for your input!

I would do a waiting bin inventory and make sure it wasn't put in the wrong bin. I am, however, just an intern with CVS.

So where are the scripts put after it's been bagged? Thrown on the conveyor belt? Is it stuck there? Did it fly behind the conveyor belt and is lodged between the wall? Did they load the scripts up into a shopping basket and then accidentally put another basket on top of it? Did it fall into a DPI bin (has happened to me before...walked by and was like wtf?)? Did it get lodged behind the bins and scripts sometimes do?

I've seen scripts get sandwiched between other scrips and unknowingly given out and not rang out (sometimes the patient will bring the prescription back.....but who knows if they always do?) If this happened.....you will only know if the person brings it back. Or maybe its sandwiched in between another script now, and isn't viewable wtihout pulling out all the prescriptions and shaking them.

Of course, its always possible that someone in the pharmacy stole it. But yeah, video sounds like the best bet, follow what happened to it from the time it was filled, hopefully that will give a clue.

update, we found it.

i asked my tech that was working that night if she remembered anything about it at all and she told me that it was a waiter and they were paged and she had their rx in her hand and someone else walked up to the counter so she laid the bag to the side.

after that i told my store manager hey i know yuo looked at the video a little yesterday but can we please look around this time at the front counter area now that we know for sure where it was at one point. so he did and what do you know she rang someone up, put their rx and other items in a bag, when the receipt printed she picked up the vyvanse rx she had placed to the side, stapled the receipt to it and put it in the bag

store manager was able to find that transaction w the rx number sold, we called the pt and asked if there was an extra script in her bag (which she hadnt even touched since she left the store) and there it was so she brought it back

Reactions: 1 user
At least this outcome saved you the trouble of filling out c2 loss forms... now just an incident report and hipaa violation.

Tech will probably complain that she got a STARS and have to do a retraining on selling scripts lol.

update, we found it.

i asked my tech that was working that night if she remembered anything about it at all and she told me that it was a waiter and they were paged and she had their rx in her hand and someone else walked up to the counter so she laid the bag to the side.

after that i told my store manager hey i know yuo looked at the video a little yesterday but can we please look around this time at the front counter area now that we know for sure where it was at one point. so he did and what do you know she rang someone up, put their rx and other items in a bag, when the receipt printed she picked up the vyvanse rx she had placed to the side, stapled the receipt to it and put it in the bag

store manager was able to find that transaction w the rx number sold, we called the pt and asked if there was an extra script in her bag (which she hadnt even touched since she left the store) and there it was so she brought it back

@EML9255
Look at that... you watched the video!