Lost motivation???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MIZMARLEY

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone else lost all motivation to study since getting into vet school? It doesn't help that it is gorgeous outside. Boo for Cell Biology and Physiology exams!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm so glad that I'm done with classes. I'm already getting less motivated at work! I can't imagine how I'd be if I had any classes left to take. Good luck to all of you who got in and still have finals and such to complete!! :luck:

I have the motivation, it's just having a battle with my desire to enjoy the last few weeks in a place that I love and with people I will miss. A draft of my thesis is due to the committee this week, and I'm going insane trying to finish it... I enjoy my project and want to have a finished product that I can be proud of, but right now it has been hard to focus.

Members don't see this ad :)
i haven't even been accepted to vet school (only invited for an interview) and i've already lost motivation to study! im addicted to grey's anatomy... it doesnt help that there is a site with all the seasons uploaded...

My god, yes. It doesn't help that my schedule is extremely light and the courses require only a little work here or there. It sounds like a dream, but the freedom just makes me less inclined to do the work when I have it.

Yah. I'm thinking of not even doing Summer school. I just have no desire to study this crap any more, just want to start on the good stuff.

nitheninny, your avatar almost made me pee myself.

nitheninny, your avatar almost made me pee myself.

Hahaha, yeah, it used to be the background of my phone. That's how I feel about 99% of the time.

Push on through! You can do it!

Naw, seriously though, now that I'm in, I'm lazy as ****. I've spent the past weekend goofing around on my laptop and procrastinating on everything. Thank you notes? Later. Studying? Meh. Homework? Bleh.

I have the motivation, it's just having a battle with my desire to enjoy the last few weeks in a place that I love and with people I will miss. A draft of my thesis is due to the committee this week, and I'm going insane trying to finish it... I enjoy my project and want to have a finished product that I can be proud of, but right now it has been hard to focus.

I am in the exact situation word for word. I'm about to be separated from my boyfriend of four years when I move. :( At least my other classes require little relative brain power, its mostly just busywork. I can't wait to finish my thesis project!

Yah. I'm thinking of not even doing Summer school. I just have no desire to study this crap any more, just want to start on the good stuff.

Yeah...I was going to do the summer anatomy class, but then I decided that I will likely be studying anatomy for the next year or so non-stop anyway, so why ruin my life early? I'm traveling across the country for a month and presenting research in Toronto instead. :D

LOL! I wouldn't do the summer school if you don't need to, but I would love to hear about the good stuff a year from now! ;)

LOL! I wouldn't do the summer school if you don't need to, but I would love to hear about the good stuff a year from now! ;)

While I'm aware it'll be hectic, it'll still be much better than my current classes.

I'm working full time and just taking a couple bs classes that A&M requires. I have to write an essay for one of them and I can't make myself finish it! I don't care anymore! Plus, I thought the class would help me improve my writing, but the professor hasn't graded hard yet and she offered little constructive criticism on the papers I got back. Basically, both classes are a waste of my time and money. Oh well!

Members don't see this ad :)
Physics 2. :rolleyes:

Do I really need to say more?

O-Chem 2nd semester. Really, this is the part I need to complete (long story involving UCD when they only require 2 quarters of OChem instead of 3), but danged if I could care a flip now that I've gotten in! I'm almost at the point of "Eh, all I need is a C".

Like right now I'm procrastinating against reading chapter 16 and completing a take home quiz...

I am in the exact situation word for word. I'm about to be separated from my boyfriend of four years when I move. :( At least my other classes require little relative brain power, its mostly just busywork. I can't wait to finish my thesis project!

Yeah, that certainly sounds familiar. As soon as I hand my draft in on Thursday, I'm going to forget about my other coursework for the rest of the day and kidnap my boyfriend for a picnic or something. In the meantime though, it's remarkable how a huge deadline like that can make time move so quickly and so slowly at the same time :rolleyes:

I'm working full time and just taking a couple bs classes that A&M requires. I have to write an essay for one of them and I can't make myself finish it! I don't care anymore! Plus, I thought the class would help me improve my writing, but the professor hasn't graded hard yet and she offered little constructive criticism on the papers I got back. Basically, both classes are a waste of my time and money. Oh well!

Oh christ. Is that at A&M? That BIMS 481 class or whatever, Biomedical Writing? God that class was awful. I just brought other **** to study during that class. So very, very boring.

Oh christ. Is that at A&M? That BIMS 481 class or whatever, Biomedical Writing? God that class was awful. I just brought other **** to study during that class. So very, very boring.

No, I'm taking it at UTD, but I have a feeling it is just as boring. It only meets once a week too so it's three horribly long hours. I never thought a professor could actually lecture about 'technical writing', especially for three hours, but this prof does it oh so well. I still haven't figured out how listening to a prof speak about technical writing actually improves your writing.

Has anyone else lost all motivation to study since getting into vet school? It doesn't help that it is gorgeous outside. Boo for Cell Biology and Physiology exams!!!

YES!!!!! It doesn't help that all my classes involve writing assignments, which are about as exciting as dirt. Why can't I have some muscles to memorize? That, and if I want to finish my Master's I have to take class over the summer. Ugh...

Hm, this thread made me feel better. Thanks!

ANSC 107 Introduction to Animal Science :yawn: I looked for an emoticon that was crying and I couldn't find one but this one works almost as well.

I don't really have words for how annoying this class is...I really don't. I need to finish it soon so I can get the transcript in time but, I am still having problems with motivation :(. Le sigh. The poultry chapter makes me want to le nap. :sleep:

I have an excellent quote that sums up my motivation for the last 3 weeks of my undergrad:
"My get up and go...got up and went" :laugh:

<--- definition of senioritis

I have a test in quantification of the obvious ecology in an hour for which I've studied, well, not much at all (although I used a similar strategy for the first test and got a 97). As I'm reading over notes, I'm still here on SDN.

It didn't help that a friend said to me, "don't you just have to PASS all your classes now that they accepted you?" I love her dearly and she was trying to cheer me up when I had my post-euphoria crash, but I think it's starting to backfire. :laugh:

Pouches Rock, I hear you. I can't stand going back and doing freshman level classes (like the comm class I started taking for Iowa and feel like I might as well finish now) because they are too simple and slow for me to keep my interest. I think I went to about 30% of the lectures for Animal Science 101 and still got an A+. Le nap, indeed.

Last edited:
Had to bump this thread. I have 2 weeks left and my motivation factor is dropping through the floor.

I blew off a physics lab yesterday because... well, do i really need a reason.

I have quizzes every week in A and P and can't bring myself to study for them even though I like the material. I have one tonite and just keep on starting at my screen and hitting refresh on SDN looking for a distraction. I just want it all to be done.

I feel for those of you slaving over thesis/dissertation work (GeeBee, Nyanko, etc). Hope you can finish up sooner rather than later.

I was just realizing how incredibly crazy the last 12 months have been. It's a lot to process and still have a million things to take care of before the hard stuff starts. I could use a 6 month vacation!

I guess I should go back to staring down my computer. Cheers.

SOV

I have 1 month at my job left in Boston, and since my lease on my apt ended at the end of May, I just moved in with my brother in NH. My commute yesterday was 5 hrs long combined... so to make it better I left at 5:30 am this morning but that only shaved off 30 min off my total commute. Talk about a motivation tanker.

I REALLY REALLY want to quit now and be done with it, but my boss would cry and that would result in a mouse massacre... so I shall keep truckin

My commute yesterday was 5 hrs long combined... so to make it better I left at 5:30 am this morning but that only shaved off 30 min off my total commute.
Ouch. I thought my 3 hours every class day was bad. Luckily living with the parents ensures that I get my butt out of bed and actually go to class. Tomorrow is the last day of lectures and finals are next week, and motivation level is :thumbdown:.
Can't I just have a birthday and graduate already?

I blew off a physics lab yesterday because... well, do i really need a reason.

I had completely lost my motivation for physics (my final was last Monday before Memorial Day). Instead of studying, I spent the entire weekend doing everything else - work, dance class, and a wedding reception till 11pm Saturday; dance class, racquetball, and swimming on Sunday. I was so exhausted I only studied 1 hour (7:30-8:30) before I had to go to work (9-1), then take my test (at 2). I pulled off an A. Hopefully you'll do as well as I did. :)

Does Penn want your transcripts to see the grades? Edinburgh doesn't want mine, which made it even harder to put the effort in. An "F" or "W" wouldn't have affected me in the least since they wouldn't have seen it.

My commute yesterday was 5 hrs long combined...

:( I'm sorry, that sucks. I'm extremely impressed with your dedication though. :)

Does Penn want your transcripts to see the grades? Edinburgh doesn't want mine, which made it even harder to put the effort in. An "F" or "W" wouldn't have affected me in the least since they wouldn't have seen it.

:)
Penn wants the transcript but only care about getting a C in pre-reqs. I would have to stop breathing to get below a C. Basically I realize I don't need to study much and I don't, but I still feel guilty about it.

Worse yet, I couldn't get any internet access during class tonight. No SDN for almost 4 hours. The horror. The horror.

I have 3 weeks left working and i am frantically trying to get my paper done. I just finished the full draft of the paper now! woo!! But i know there is still a long way til the end product and unfortunately i doubt i'll get it all finished because my PI doesn't have time to proof everything until after I leave. Oh well, the hardest part is over.

We are packing our apt up because we are moving all of our stuff in 12 days! AHH!! But I am so excited for the new environment!!

oh PS- i got my fafsa approval last week. Hmm maybe i should update that in a fafsa thread??

oh PS- i got my fafsa approval last week. Hmm maybe i should update that in a fafsa thread??

Kind of ironic to attend the school founded by Ben Franklin and be forced to become deep in debt. "Neither a borrower or lender be" indeed.
I noticed that they didn't inscribe that one on the stones of locust walk!

Haha so true.

So I swear I will start writing after I check SDN...and eat lunch...but god...I just. want. to. be. done. I need a lab gnome to finish up experiments and write my dissertation for me.

The way I'm seeing it I need to have my dissertation finished (as in final draft, ship it off to my committee), by the end of this month so they have 3 weeks to read it and I can schedule my dissertation defense for late july. Then I'll have 2 weeks to make corrections, move to Philly, and finish up any extra work in the lab etc etc...and then...right into vet school.

I'm actually doing pretty well with the writing. The intro is (almost) done, as are most of the data chapters. Though I still have to do figure legends which are just a pain.

I'm up to 148 pages so far so...just gotta keep going. right after lunch. and right after I check SDN and facebook, one. more. time. damn.

:smuggrin: this is my cracked out mad scientist face

Haha so true.

So I swear I will start writing after I check SDN...and eat lunch...but god...I just. want. to. be. done. I need a lab gnome to finish up experiments and write my dissertation for me.

The way I'm seeing it I need to have my dissertation finished (as in final draft, ship it off to my committee), by the end of this month so they have 3 weeks to read it and I can schedule my dissertation defense for late july. Then I'll have 2 weeks to make corrections, move to Philly, and finish up any extra work in the lab etc etc...and then...right into vet school.

I'm actually doing pretty well with the writing. The intro is (almost) done, as are most of the data chapters. Though I still have to do figure legends which are just a pain.

I'm up to 148 pages so far so...just gotta keep going. right after lunch. and right after I check SDN and facebook, one. more. time. damn.

I was going to write an encouraging response but then realized I would just be contributing to your procrastination.... so no encouraging response. Sorry.

I will add a time wasting comment. A couple weeks ago there was a research festival here and I went early to read the important posters coughgetfreestuffcough. I got this one shirt and there is a hand drawn pic on the back of a craZy scientist!!! with a curly mustache!! its awesome :D GeeBee (guess this is your new nick name?) I will show you this summer :)

B-33

I'm just glad I'm done with classwork. I swear I pulled that "A" out of my butt. I now am *TRYING* to focus on work but its hard some days to put forth the effort!! Students need to be taught, cases need to be managed, chaos needs to be controlled. But hot dang if sometime I don't just want to throw my hands up and say "You guys deal with it!"

For what it's worth, I was the queen of lost motivation in my last undergrad classes just a few weeks ago. But now that I have started graduate classes for my DVM/MPH, my motivation is back. Homework is still a pain, but it's not at ALL the same feeling of not giving a damn...

Just wanted to give you all some hope! :D

I have a little bit longer than you GB and not quite as much to write (MS thesis!) but dealing with trying to get some of our colony cats adopted and taking care of the others with some nasty URIs and such and trying to finish the data collection for another manuscript I'm trying to get out this summer in addition to the thesis writing is making my head want to explode. :oops:

I literally took one day off yesterday, the third day (counting weekends - I'm here on weekends) in which I did not come to campus since a vacation I took in December, and got about 3 "urgent" phone calls and 10 emails that really needed my immediate attention please.

Please share your lab gnome if you get one. Thanks.

I literally took one day off yesterday, the third day (counting weekends - I'm here on weekends) in which I did not come to campus since a vacation I took in December, and got about 3 "urgent" phone calls and 10 emails that really needed my immediate attention please.

You gotta start weening people off of you Nyanko. When I left my job earlier this year I got multiple calls per day with urgent problems. It took a while for them to finally realize I wasn't there to baby sit anymore. I'm down to one every couple of weeks now. You don't want to be taking those calls once classes start for real.

Take more days off and let them figure out life post-Nyanko.