LOST, one or two

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Salma123

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who took step 1 and did well. Since we only have one month to study for USMLE step 1, would u advise buying one two question banks?

In case you did buy two, how in the world do you have time to study and do two question banks???

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

For those who took step 1 and did well. Since we only have one month to study for USMLE step 1, would u advise buying one two question banks?

In case you did buy two, how in the world do you have time to study and do two question banks???

Thanks

oh, I thought you were talking about LOST (the tv show) and I was going to recommend season 1 over season 2.

I studied for 3 weeks and got through 50% of USMLE world. I would do 1-2 blocks of 50 questions most days. I can't imagine doing more than that for the period of time that I had. If I did 2 blocks, that meant 4 hours of the morning were taken up with doing the question and then reading the explanations (about 1 hour of reading explanations for each block of questions). I'd say buy one Qbank to start with, and if you really blaze through you can always buy another. But it's not like you get some sort of prize for completing more Qbanks -- doing questions is definitely good practice and a great learning tool, but reviewing in other ways is important too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Buy UW, kaplan qbank is a waste of time. There are too many obscure facts and badly written questions that are not representative of the questions on the exam by any stretch. Spend any extra time reading first aid and review books.

Buy UW, kaplan qbank is a waste of time. There are too many obscure facts and badly written questions that are not representative of the questions on the exam by any stretch. Spend any extra time reading first aid and review books.

Which Kaplan qbank? 2007 or 2008?

do UW first, if u have xtra time then find another qbank to do, i wouldnt worry about the which 2nd qbank for now. just focus on UW first

oh, I thought you were talking about LOST (the tv show) and I was going to recommend season 1 over season 2.

Yep. Season 1 was definitely better.

I also think you'll be better off just trying to finish one Qbank. If you do finish one, then see if it's worth it to get another.

Around how many questions are there for Qbank and UW? If i were to do 50q blocks per day, how many days would it take to complete them?

I purchased a 3 month subscription of Qbank about 3 months before my test date. Been trying to do a handful of questions here and there to review stuff from my first two years.

When I actually sit down to study for step 1 (w/o worrying about 2nd year exams), I'll get UW.

UW is just a tad bit over 2000qs

i avged about 150s/day and it took me about 4 weeks to finish all of UW

I haven't taken the thing yet, but I'll throw in my 2cents.

I have exactly 10 weeks until my exam :scared: and I'm still in class for another month or so. I've been doing pretty well in class (busted by a$$ MSI and MSII) so as of now I'm going to dedicate more time to start my review for my weak areas (mostly the first year cr@p, like the vomitive anatomy, the oh so fun biochem, etc, you get my point...).

I already got Kaplan Qbank and have been doing 50-100q's a day (I skip some days if I'm behind in class) in random tutor mode (just because I want to track my progress). Soon I'll move into timed mode. So far I like KQbank.

I digged some old threads and I'm considering getting usmlerx for 2mo. It kind of makes sense, and even though the questions are easy I feel that I learn more by doing questions and then going over the explanations (not to mention that it may help in the memorization of FA!). And in the grand scheme of things, what's another 90$? Seriously...

For the last month of review I'll be getting UW. And of course the NBME's.

I guess it takes a lot of discipline and stamina to get through all this crap, plus reviewing :sleep: I think it's doable if you have the time, a schedule and of course discipline. Then I can relax for 2 weeks (hopefully at the beach!) before starting rotations :D

I may be nuts for wanting to try to do all this, but I rather be on the safe side of things even if the specialties I'm interested in right now don't need a super high score. But you never know! So basically, I don't want to close any doors in case I change my mind ;)

I just really hope this pays off...

Sorry for the rant. :luck: