Lost, or Wilderness Medicine On A Deserted Island

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sessamoid

1K Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who else here watches the show? The last episode was interesting from a medical standpoint. Methinks Dr. Jack has forgotten a lot since internship...

His instructions on how to deliver Claire's baby are that when the kid crowns, she should push as hard as she can. IIRC (those of you on Ob rotations can correct me if I've forgotten already), once the head is out, she doesn't need to push anymore. Unless the shoulder gets stuck, the kid will pretty much just fall out by itself. If the shoulder gets stuck, trying to force it by just pushing isn't going to help matters though it may give the kid a brachial plexus injury.

The bit about having to know everybody's blood type was interesting. IIRC, he could have just gotten a small sample from everybody and tested compatibility with Boone's blood without ever having to know which type it was.

And ugh, did you see his technique with that tube thoracostomy? Damned lucky he didn't puncture the left ventricle!

Members don't see this ad.

Sessamoid said:
Who else here watches the show? The last episode was interesting from a medical standpoint. Methinks Dr. Jack has forgotten a lot since internship...

His instructions on how to deliver Claire's baby are that when the kid crowns, she should push as hard as she can. IIRC (those of you on Ob rotations can correct me if I've forgotten already), once the head is out, she doesn't need to push anymore. Unless the shoulder gets stuck, the kid will pretty much just fall out by itself. If the shoulder gets stuck, trying to force it by just pushing isn't going to help matters though it may give the kid a brachial plexus injury.

The bit about having to know everybody's blood type was interesting. IIRC, he could have just gotten a small sample from everybody and tested compatibility with Boone's blood without ever having to know which type it was.

And ugh, did you see his technique with that tube thoracostomy? Damned lucky he didn't puncture the left ventricle!

You need a beer.

mike

Members don't see this ad :)
I love that show, and Alias. If you want a show that really takes the practice of medicine "seriously" you should watch Grey's Anatomy. That show drives me nuts.

And why was Jack going to just cut off Boone's leg? Maybe a couple of fasciotomies first? Maybe it's just wishful thinking.

But FWIW crowning is just when the head presents on the perineum, it isn't delivered yet, so that is when you should push.

Seaglass said:
And why was Jack going to just cut off Boone's leg? Maybe a couple of fasciotomies first? Maybe it's just wishful thinking.
Oops, forgot to mention the premature amputation.

Nerd!

(Actually, I thought of all the above, too.)

I'm not sure who is the bigger nerd, sessemoid for wathing it or me for having no clue what show y'all are talking about. My kids managed to loose their TV privileges and, sadly, that meant mine, too.

So...what the hell are y'all talking about?

Take care,
Jeff

I havent ever watched the show, none of that lectricity allowed here in the compound (rifles and canned goods only).

However. Does anyone else own/like the big green Auerbach "wilderness medicine" text? Entertaining stuff, even if Ill probably never have to worry about "how to survive at sea". Sounds like they could use the book on the show, though.

kungfufishing said:
I havent ever watched the show, none of that lectricity allowed here in the compound (rifles and canned goods only).

However. Does anyone else own/like the big green Auerbach "wilderness medicine" text? Entertaining stuff, even if Ill probably never have to worry about "how to survive at sea". Sounds like they could use the book on the show, though.
Dude, you're missing out. Some of the hottest chicks on TV there. Evangeline Lilly is some serious eye-candy.

Oh yeah man "Kate" is a little hottie. Might have to do some google image searches for her. She might even top my all time top babe: Kate Beckinsale.

Did you see Jack's heroic CPR technique maneuver... where the lifeguard didn't do a head tilt/chin lift and wasn't resuscitating that big black lady? Then Jack walks up, tilts her back a bit, and BOOM she starts coughing. Man that guy's good.

Q

QuinnNSU said:
Oh yeah man "Kate" is a little hottie. Might have to do some google image searches for her. She might even top my all time top babe: Kate Beckinsale.
I'm totally with you on this one. I'm completely in favor of human cloning as long as we start with Beckinsale or Lilly (x 100,000).

kungfufishing said:
Entertaining stuff, even if Ill probably never have to worry about "how to survive at sea". .

i knew a guy who one time packed a bunch of ziplock bags on a plane flight to use for floatation or something in case the plane crashed. :laugh:

i was on call on the night all the superdoc stuff was going on. i don;t follow the show, but the call team had a good laugh out of it.

and grey's anatomy is terrible. except for the blonde chick it's not worth watching.

Alias and Scrubs are my weekly can't miss shows.

--your friendly neighborhood Tivo-ing caveman

Homunculus said:
and grey's anatomy is terrible. except for the blonde chick it's not worth watching.

I especially love the surgical interns going down to the ED, after being admonished by their chief to "stay away from the emergency medicine interns. They don't know their ass from their esophagus.", to (sometimes physically) fight over trauma patients. No EM presence to speak of and rarely an attending present at the bedside - even on level ones. Patients are treated and released from the ED by these interns without presenting the cases to surgical, let alone EM, attendings, with occasional poor outcomes (shrugged off as "learning experiences"). And I don't know about at anyone else's program, but here we always let the surgical interns go to the helipad for a hot offload on their first day {sarcasm}.

Really they are showing a great deal of EM, just not naming it so, oh yeah, that show is already on a different network.

- H