Lots of early applicants this year...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Atlantis07

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
When did you get your BU secondary in?

Don't the number of applicants each year always increase?

Members don't see this ad :)
I got the same email. Then a week later an interview invite dropped into my inbox. Relax.

Freaking out! Just got an update from BU that said that they couldn't get to my file yet despite it being awhile since being marked complete. They said that there is a record number of applicants who have submitted early this year. I wonder if this has anything to do with the economy/people wanting to go back into school. Or is this just a trend every year that the GPA gets higher and people apply more competitively? Regardless, I'm totally freaking out right...

i'm guessing it's option #2. but it's totally not worth freaking about. breathe.

BU was notorious last cycle for sending out the earliest rejections

recession now....people go back to school, and it takes about 2 years to complete the prereqs to apply to med school...so there will be a spike. Or a decline...depending on this reform lol.

why 2 years from now?
Financial crisis hit last September (although the economy was in a bit of a recession for the half year before that). When recessions happen lots of people decide to go into medicine. So if people decided to start Fall 2008, Summer 2011 is when those people will be applying to med school. Obviously this is just my opinion so feel free to criticize.

no, no I agree with you guys, I just forgot that people would have had to go back to get their pre-reqs, which you're right, would take 2 years.

that said, I'm confident the economy will be in an appreciably better state 2 years from now, so it will be interesting to see if people who flocked to safety at the height of the crisis will follow through with their plan.

Hmm....the logical thing to assume would be fewer people would be applying to each school, because everyone is tight on money....I thought people would be more selective of what schools to pick.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm....the logical thing to assume would be fewer people would be applying to each school, because everyone is tight on money....I thought people would be more selective of what schools to pick.

Yeah. There are waaaay to many factors to try and analyze something like this.

It's pretty pointless, other than to say that an increasing number of applicants are applying, and an increasing number of applicants are applying earlier than in the past.

it's an interesting thought, and if it were true, I think you'd see fewer applications at the "top tier" schools, since money-conscious applicants might be less likely to buy the lottery ticket, if they know their app doesn't match up.

That's unlikely. People would rather spend the extra couple of thousand because they see it as investment that will pay many times over. If they're willing to pay ~ 200k and be in debt for a while they probably would be willing to spend the extra 1-2k and apply broadly.

That's unlikely. People would rather spend the extra couple of thousand because they see it as investment that will pay many times over. If they're willing to pay ~ 200k and be in debt for a while they probably would be willing to spend the extra 1-2k and apply broadly.

because we HAVE that extra 1-2k...

:thumbup:

Can't remember the last time I had an extra 1-2k to spend. The whole 'bills' thing kind of gets in the way. You know...rent, electricity, food, gas, car payment, insurance, student loan payments... things you need a job to pay for...

It's something you apply for, and then they pay you to... nevermind. I don't want to ruin the surprise.

Knowledge of personal finances fail.

Can't remember the last time I had an extra 1-2k to spend. The whole 'bills' thing kind of gets in the way. You know...rent, electricity, food, gas, car payment, insurance, student loan payments... things you need a job to pay for...

It's something you apply for, and then they pay you to... nevermind. I don't want to ruin the surprise.

Knowledge of personal finances fail.
Thank you for taking what I wrote out of context. I wasn't implying that everyone has 1-2k lying around to apply, just that in 2 years down the road, the percentage of all applicants applying to elite schools will be roughly the same as it is now.

Last edited:
Thank you for taking what I wrote out of context. I wasn't implying that everyone has 1-2k lying around to apply, just that in 2 years down the road, the percentage of of all applicants applying to elite schools will be roughly the same as it is now.

Didn't say you were implying people had an extra 1-2k.

What I was implying is that you seem to have a skewed view of the cost of applying to med school because you have not been in a situation where you need to make personal sacrifices in order to do so. Acting like 1-2k isn't a big deal just emphasizes that.

Didn't say you were implying people had an extra 1-2k.

What I was implying is that you seem to have a skewed view of the cost of applying to med school because you have not been in a situation where you need to make personal sacrifices in order to do so. Acting like 1-2k isn't a big deal just emphasizes that.
I was generalizing. Considering that there are close to 50,000 people applying I feel that is pretty rational. I wasn't acting like 1-2k isn't a big deal.

I was generalizing. Considering that there are close to 50,000 people applying I feel that is pretty rational. I wasn't acting like 1-2k isn't a big deal.

Sorry. Bad day, was looking for a fight.