Lots of gunners?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cessna 182

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone give me feedback on whether students seem to be gunners/jerks or if they group together to help each other at these schools? These are the schools I applied to and I really don't want to goto a school where everyone is a gunner, I guess its obvious that there is always gonna be someone right... Anyway thanks!

CASE
UNLV
ASDOH
OHIO STATE
COLORADO
OREGON
CREIGHTON

Members don't see this ad.

So far my class at oregon is really cool. we all get along great. We work hard when the time comes and we play hard the rest of the time. I heard that the third years have some gunners so I guess that the personality of every class is different from year to year.

good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
There is one in every class. If you don't know who it is then they haven't shown their dark side yet.:smuggrin:

Does that ever seem to be a problem at d-school?!

Every class has their own personality. My class was considered full of "gunners" by the upper classmen. They all thought we were/are crazy. But within our class we all helped each other, and worked really hard. But there are jerks out there who go on the mentality of "for me to succeed, you must fail, and I hope you do."

Never was a problem for us though, but I do wish there was a curve every now and then. Dang smart people!

i never understood what a gunner was until people started calling me it and i started to understand why. i don't consider myself a gunner simply because i'm not trying to specialize. what's funny is that those calling me a gunner are trying to specialize themselves. the fact that they thought of it and i never have, just shows that they're sizing me up for competition that they really have no need to worry about. what i love the most about dental school as of yet, is that people equate grades with future success. it's laughable.

rumor is UCSF has a lot of in-class competition. Don't really know anything about it though

rumor is UCSF has a lot of in-class competition. Don't really know anything about it though

For D1s? It's too early to tell. Thus far, everyone in my class has been really chill.

For D1s? It's too early to tell. Thus far, everyone in my class has been really chill.

It's all just unfounded stories. My roommate has a friend who is a 3rd year at UCSF so she hangs out with them sometimes. Her friend likes the school but doesn't like the level of competition within her class. She said UCSF went to a no-grade system to try and curb the competitive tendencies of their students.
Maybe it worked and the students have mellowed out, or maybe it was never an issue.

How are you liking UCSF so far? Is it true you guys have only half days 3 days a week or something like that? That's the rumor on the north side of town

It's all just unfounded stories. My roommate has a friend who is a 3rd year at UCSF so she hangs out with them sometimes. Her friend likes the school but doesn't like the level of competition within her class. She said UCSF went to a no-grade system to try and curb the competitive tendencies of their students.
Maybe it worked and the students have mellowed out, or maybe it was never an issue.

How are you liking UCSF so far? Is it true you guys have only half days 3 days a week or something like that? That's the rumor on the north side of town

I'm not sure how things will play out once we start taking exams, but right now no one seems to be cutthroat or anything like that. As far as our schedule, we have 8-5 on MTTH and 8-12 on WF. It's not like I've been playing around on the half days, though...I've spent each of those days in the library or in preclinic.

I'm not sure how things will play out once we start taking exams, but right now no one seems to be cutthroat or anything like that. As far as our schedule, we have 8-5 on MTTH and 8-12 on WF. It's not like I've been playing around on the half days, though...I've spent each of those days in the library or in preclinic.

Wow, that's sweet. We have friday afternoons off now and I'm loving it. It makes a huge difference.

every class has a different personality.

jb!:)

Absolutely. Class ahead of me is rumored to be overly competitive and cutthroat, while my class is pretty laid back and really nice to each other. The gunners help everyone else and even each other out.

I think it's great though...it makes dental school a LOT more bearable.

I'm a 2nd year at UCSF and there is hardly any in-class competition at all. Very cooperative and chill, and a very "us vs the curriculum" mentality. The D1's seem like they're from a similar mold so far. the D3's study more than our class, but I've never heard seen anything to indicate any interclass competition there either. D4s are too up the ladder for me to interact with much, so I can't comment on their class personality/dynamic.