You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Haters gonna hate, Gunners gonna gun
Started by lexa_m
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Get a copy of Kaplan's DentEssentials. An NBDE part I review book that has some pretty decent tables in the back for dental anatomy.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
There's a workbook by Karst entitled Dental Anatomy, a Self-Instructional Workbook. Our first year instructor for this course was about as organized as an open silverware chest, flung from the top step of a very long flight of stairs. This book saved us. It will get a complete and utter noob through dental anatomy. It uses the reading level of a third grader, and is very redundant, but it sure did work. There is also a coloring book appropriately entitled Dental Anatomy Coloring Book, by Fehrenbach. This book is very very helpful when you're in the head and neck unit of gross anatomy and/or neuroanatomy. Use the classic Anatomy Coloring Book, by Kapit & Elson for everything else.
There are some good apps out there, I believe mostly for Android. Excellent apps actually, a student could learn a lot from them. Just search app stores.
Hooray for Android!There are some good apps out there, I believe mostly for Android. Excellent apps actually, a student could learn a lot from them. Just search app stores.
Memorize everything man. You'll finish first year dental even before your classmates start. While everyone is relaxing in the summer, you'll be gunning them down.
don't start studying. you will be burnt out before you even realize it. Unless you want others to outgun you.
Its said over and over, and I can't agree more, do something fun this summer before you no longer have that opportunity. Stretches of several months off become increasingly impossible in dental school and your profession life. If you have the means, do something unforgettable - get some buddies and drive across the country. Travel to Europe, buy a bike in Amsterdam, and bike to Switzerland. Money always prohibited me from doing those types of things, but I would have hustled a little harder and picked up more shifts at work and stretched my finances to make it happen if I could go back and do it over.
Its said over and over, and I can't agree more, do something fun this summer before you no longer have that opportunity. Stretches of several months off become increasingly impossible in dental school and your profession life. If you have the means, do something unforgettable - get some buddies and drive across the country. Travel to Europe, buy a bike in Amsterdam, and bike to Switzerland. Money always prohibited me from doing those types of things, but I would have hustled a little harder and picked up more shifts at work and stretched my finances to make it happen if I could go back and do it over.
Thiiis. Although im not going to Europe until summer between D1 and D2 this guy still has the right idea. That bike idea intrigues me. Do it and let me know how it goes for next summer
This summer, I will be in the cadaver lab ... cutting up cadavers ... in dental school...
Nothing says welcome to dental school quite like trying to find all the branches of CN7 beneath a millimeter of skin.This summer, I will be in the cadaver lab ... cutting up cadavers ... in dental school...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
slow and steady wins the race. by no means am i a gunner, but i've gone through more dental school than you have so i will say this.
enjoy your summer. don't burn yourself out, because the course load is nothing like what you've experienced before.
enjoy your summer. don't burn yourself out, because the course load is nothing like what you've experienced before.
One resource to check out is the University of Mich YouTube channel. They have a specific play-list just on dental anatomy and I have really enjoyed it. They're old videos so I would take any of the clinical technique videos with a grain of salt. Most videos are ~30-60 min long and will expose you to some great concepts. IMO you can enjoy your summer & watch these vids to get a preview of the great education you're about to receive.
Example:
Playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF1F17D438FB715E7
Example:
Playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF1F17D438FB715E7
You should be out of school and either graduated or about to. I hope you have listened to those who have encouraged you to take some time for yourself this summer, and not concern yourself with dental anatomy. It's all coming down the road sooner than you think, and it never goes away. Have some fun, even if it is not in Europe or somewhere exotic. Spend some time at a lake or the beach. I have been practicing for over 30 years, and the most I can ever get away is 3 weeks at a time, which is at a heavy price when I return. There are no summer vacations after you start school. Enjoy this last one.
"Traveling" IMO is overrated; I advise against it. I could go on a long tangent but I'll just suggest that you not succumb the populist notion that travel is something you should/must/ or want to do. There are so many better ways to spend your time if you want to relax; and, if it's about self improvement there are far more efficient and better ways to learn about cultures/places/language or otherwise increase your intellectual diversity.
However, because right now "traveling" is in vogue it does have the potential to build social capital - you can always go for that reason?
However, because right now "traveling" is in vogue it does have the potential to build social capital - you can always go for that reason?
"Traveling" IMO is overrated; I advise against it. I could go on a long tangent but I'll just suggest that you not succumb the populist notion that travel is something you should/must/ or want to do. There are so many better ways to spend your time if you want to relax; and, if it's about self improvement there are far more efficient and better ways to learn about cultures/places/language or otherwise increase your intellectual diversity.
However, because right now "traveling" is in vogue it does have the potential to build social capital - you can always go for that reason?
![]()
2nded, I had to travel for family business. But more likely than not, I despise travelling. Cramped 16 hr flights, never well rested, always lacking something, etc. Cant say sightseeing aint fun, but it certainly aint relaxing.
My idea of a perfect relaxing day is sitting on the beach, with a beer in one hand, a sandwich in the other, sun in the sky, and beautiful girls to hang out with.
My idea of a perfect relaxing day is sitting on the beach, with a beer in one hand, a sandwich in the other, sun in the sky, and beautiful girls to hang out with.
I thought you were a girl this whole time. Unless you are one.. in that case, I won't judge.
2nded, I had to travel for family business. But more likely than not, I despise travelling. Cramped 16 hr flights, never well rested, always lacking something, etc. Cant say sightseeing aint fun, but it certainly aint relaxing.
My idea of a perfect relaxing day is sitting on the beach, with a beer in one hand, a sandwich in the other, sun in the sky, and beautiful girls to hang out with.
You just described my dream vacation
I agree with his perfect day, the only thing is I'd have to travel to get to a place like that hahaYou just described my dream vacation
I thought you were a girl this whole time. Unless you are one.. in that case, I won't judge.
You really think the guy who has a dank meme as a handle is a girl?
False, I am a doge.
You can work on your hand skills this summer.
I obtained some crown prep models from a local dentist. The models are no longer needed after the crown is seated in the patient. He gives me the model and I wax up the crown prep to learn more about the anatomy of the tooth, as well as how to adjust for the occlusion and obtain good contact points.
Just an idea!
I obtained some crown prep models from a local dentist. The models are no longer needed after the crown is seated in the patient. He gives me the model and I wax up the crown prep to learn more about the anatomy of the tooth, as well as how to adjust for the occlusion and obtain good contact points.
Just an idea!
Traveling is not overated IMO. Budget traveling, as described above is not what I consider leisure activity, and as a dentist, you will not be cramped in the back of tiny jet with crying kids everywhere. You will be upstairs on the A380 with the stand up bar in the back, flight attendants at your beck and call, well rested no matter how long the flight, and a car waiting to pick you up at your destination. There are perks to finishing this education, and don't let anyone who is not a practicing dentist tell you otherwise.
But everyone is entitled to an opinion.
But everyone is entitled to an opinion.
Traveling is not overated IMO. Budget traveling, as described above is not what I consider leisure activity, and as a dentist, you will not be cramped in the back of tiny jet with crying kids everywhere. You will be upstairs on the A380 with the stand up bar in the back, flight attendants at your beck and call, well rested no matter how long the flight, and a car waiting to pick you up at your destination. There are perks to finishing this education, and don't let anyone who is not a practicing dentist tell you otherwise.
But everyone is entitled to an opinion.
Knowing myself, I probably suck it up and go with business class for international and economy for domestic. And use the extra money on my truck and lambo. Never saw the point going first class.