Lots of new jobs on pathoutlines

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone else notice the uptick in jobs on pathoutlines? Just looking back over the last month, there's been over 80 new job postings. This rate of job openings seems to go back about 2 months.

At that pace there would be around 1000 new jobs this year, way more than the number of graduating residents/fellows. And this is not counting all the jobs that aren't being posted. Is it a positive sign?

In the last couple of weeks, pathoutlines has started posting data about the number of job advertisements active on the site. The data run from Jan. 1, 2019 through today. The graph (from pathoutlines) is below:

1602745817084.png

It looks to me like

1) The pathology job market is seasonal, with a peak in January
2) Before COVID, 2020 started off stronger than 2019. On January 1 2020, there were 500 jobs advertised, as opposed to 400 last January.
3) When COVID hit, 2020 not only lost the increased momentum, but became slightly worse than 2019. In May, June, and July 2020, there were about 20 fewer jobs open than at the same time the previous year.

These are just my vague observations. The data aren't going to be perfect; the number of jobs advertised on pathoutlines also depends on how likely employers are to advertise their positions on pathoutlines. Also, I know that at least one of the ads that is active has been posted for several months, and that the group has decided to hold off indefinitely on hiring.

So I'm curious how these trends line up with what actual pathologists are experiencing.

PS--I myself am not a pathologist; I'm a scientist. I keep an eye on the pathology job market because my husband is a pathologist, and at any given time I like to know the odds that his career will require us to leave the desirable coastal city where I have stable employment, and move somewhere populated largely by moose. Right now they seem pretty high...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
In the last couple of weeks, pathoutlines has started posting data about the number of job advertisements active on the site. The data run from Jan. 1, 2019 through today. The graph (from pathoutlines) is below:

View attachment 320507

It looks to me like

2) Before COVID, 2020 started off stronger than 2019. On January 1 2020, there were 500 jobs advertised, as opposed to 400 last January.
3) When COVID hit, 2020 not only lost the increased momentum, but became slightly worse than 2019. In May, June, and July 2020, there were about 20 fewer jobs open than at the same time the previous year.

These are just my vague observations. The data aren't going to be perfect; the number of jobs advertised on pathoutlines also depends on how likely employers are to advertise their positions on pathoutlines. Also, I know that at least one of the ads that is active has been posted for several months, and that the group has decided to hold off indefinitely on hiring.

So I'm curious how these trends line up with what actual pathologists are experiencing.

PS--I myself am not a pathologist; I'm a scientist. I keep an eye on the pathology job market because my husband is a pathologist, and at any given time I like to know the odds that his career will require us to leave the desirable coastal city where I have stable employment, and move somewhere populated largely by moose. Right now they seem pretty high...

The pathologist spouse thing is rough, but let me tell you my own observations that the difference between good gigs in pathology and bad ones are the most extreme of any specialty in medicine. It has the worst winner takes all practice outcome I could have ever imagined. So if you do find yourself in a place with "moose" it is likely because that may very be a place where he can make more $$ than both of you currently put together.

Reactions: 4 users
How has medicine fallen to what is a giant Nigerian prince scam yet again?

Hydroxychloroquine! Remdesivir! Convalescent plasma!

I have a tonic that will cure small penis size! Make your hair grow! Make you younger!!
View attachment 319101

THIS: Big global study finds remdesivir doesn't help Covid-19 patients

Yes folks the great medical charlatans have struck again but this time they got out before their Gilead stock CRASHES, we should all be thankful Goldman Sachs profits are up a whopping 93% year over year.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

View attachment 320507

It looks to me like

Most path jobs are word of mouth so he better be making friends ASAP.

I saw a study yesterday that said AP specimens are down 25 percent this year.

The pathologist spouse thing is rough, but let me tell you my own observations that the difference between good gigs in pathology and bad ones are the most extreme of any specialty in medicine. It has the worst winner takes all practice outcome I could have ever imagined. So if you do find yourself in a place with "moose" it is likely because that may very be a place where he can make more $$ than both of you currently put together.

That is possible. I don't have salary info yet, since I have only recently become open to looking at locations inhabited by large fauna (I said moose, but mountain lions and alligators are OK too.)

But between the fact that he'd probably have a better work/life/salary balance in a smaller city, and the fact that housing in most of the US costs like half what it does here, it seems like time to be open minded.

I didn't have a ton of opportunities to work remotely until COVID. But that seems to be changing, making smaller cities more interesting for me and many other people in tech.

Most path jobs are word of mouth so he better be making friends ASAP.

The network certainly does help. We moved for his fellowship and at the time it sucked, as I had to leave another stable job. But the connections he made there continued to be valuable after his training was over.