Louisiana post bac anyone? Tulane?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

mizzoudude

I have posted a couple of times on the forum with selfish questions, but I reason that if I know an answer to any of the questions on the forum, I will definately try to help out and I really appreciate everyone else's help as well.
Quick summary, I partied too much as an undergrad...3.2 with a 27 on the MCAT. Everyone is advising me to take an SMP to show that I can work the harder classes, but two things that are holding me back are location and cost. Everything SMP-wise seems to be on the east coast...atleast with an aspect of linkage. But this program in Tulane (2 of them) seem really great too. I did a search about the programs on the forum, but didn't really see posts by anyone who has gone through them or know them in detail...anyone? Anyone go through this program? How is living in New Orleans? Board? Linkage with Tulane, etc. ANY info on this progarm would be very helpful

Tulane University Health Sciences Center
Graduate School - Biomedical Sciences
Human Genetics Graduate Program
Description:
The Human Genetics Program is a multidisciplinary, interdepartmental program combining clinical genetics, biochemical genetics, molecular genetics and cytogenetics with emphasis in both basic research and service. The interdepartmental structure allows faculty from various departments to contribute to the rising needs of research, teaching, and service in human genetics. The Masters Degree program is an intensive one year program designed for individuals who desire to become conversant in the various fields of human genetics as well as for those individuals wanting to improve their credentials for admission to competitive professional schools.

------
School of Medicine
Department of Structural and Cellular Biology
Cellular, Molecular and Neuroscience Research
Tulane University Health Sciences Center, Department of Structural and Description:
Medical School-based graduate program designed to train students in techniques of cellular and molecular biology and neuroscience as applied to systems and projects based on their interests. Provides unique areas of teaching expertise in anatomical sciences.

Thanks again all.

Members don't see this ad.

mizzoudude said:
But this program in Tulane (2 of them) seem really great too. I did a search about the programs on the forum, but didn't really see posts by anyone who has gone through them or know them in detail...anyone? Anyone go through this program? How is living in New Orleans? Board? Linkage with Tulane, etc. ANY info on this progarm would be very helpful
I'm pretty sure I ran into some posts on the Cell/Molecular program. Give me a minute and I'll get you some links.

Edit:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=77483
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=125497
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=98106
(posts 8 and 11 for the last one)
mizzoudude said:
Graduate School - Biomedical Sciences
Human Genetics Graduate Program
Description:
The Human Genetics Program is a multidisciplinary, interdepartmental program combining clinical genetics, biochemical genetics, molecular genetics and cytogenetics with emphasis in both basic research and service. The interdepartmental structure allows faculty from various departments to contribute to the rising needs of research, teaching, and service in human genetics. The Masters Degree program is an intensive one year program designed for individuals who desire to become conversant in the various fields of human genetics as well as for those individuals wanting to improve their credentials for admission to competitive professional schools.
I could be wrong, but I think it's also reduced tuition--$15k/year.
mizzoudude said:

School of Medicine
Department of Structural and Cellular Biology
Cellular, Molecular and Neuroscience Research
Tulane University Health Sciences Center, Department of Structural and Description:
Medical School-based graduate program designed to train students in techniques of cellular and molecular biology and neuroscience as applied to systems and projects based on their interests. Provides unique areas of teaching expertise in anatomical sciences.
Thanks again all.
I'm not sure what this is...Is this different from the one-year MS in Cell and Molecular Biology?

Edit: I googled this and it appears to me that this is a PhD-only program:
http://www.yiyee.com/contedu/edu7-120001012013-0004.htm
http://programs.gradschools.com/southcentral/neuroscience.html
http://programs.gradschools.com/gra...F00000146EB4DC8D293A44D0F91423E37FA&_start=12

The one-year MS in Cellular and Molecular Biology the one that's been discussed on this forum a little. This one I know is $15k/year for tuition.

Tulane also has a one-year MS in Pharmacology program and a special Anatomy Certification Program for students waitlisted at US schools.

Okay here are the links to the Tulane programs I mentioned:

Tulane University- (1 year) Masters in Genetics
Tulane University- (1 year) Cell and Molecular Biology
Tulane University- (1 semester + optional neuro class in Spring for no additional charge) Anatomy Certificate
Tulane University- 1 year MS in Pharmacology

Thanks a lot for posting all those links.
I know that there are many cool gradute programs at Tulane:
The Pharmacology program seems very intense.
The Certificate for the Anatomy program does require that the student is waitlisted at a med school.
The Genetics program curriculum looks pretty cool, but I dunno if I wanna do hardcore genetics.
The cell and molecular biology program is the also attractive.
The tuition is fairly cheap (compared to other post bacs) and N.O. would be a great place to live.
As I mentioned, I have a 3.2 and a 27. Do any of you know if that is fairly good scores to get into any of the programs? I emailed the programs this morning and will post any answers I get.
Anyone know about the linkage with Tulane? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks again all...SDN rocks.

hey all, I have a 3.28 GPA, and 29 MCAT. I just got into the pharmacology masters program at Tulane. Anyone take that program? If so, what is it like and how did it help with your medical school admissions. Any help would be appreciated.