Louisville (OOS) vs. Kentucky (OOS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nca015

Reaction score
Hi Everyone! Congrats to everyone who got awesome news this past week. I really need help deciding between these two schools.

School 1: University of Louisville
* OOS
Pros:
- Throughout my Interview everyone stressed the family atmosphere of the School
- Early exposure to clinic and plenty of specialties to experience during the 4 years of the DMD program
- vertical integration program for D1, D2, D3, D4
- Manageable Class size with more people to interact with

Cons:
- Location- A little worried about living and how to get to and from the school safely
- Not exactly sure where Dental School students live

School 2: University of Kentucky
* OOS
Pros:
  • Smaller Class Size allows for more hands on help and exposure to Faculty
  • Lexington is really beautiful
  • Stressed the importance of the family atmosphere
  • Close relationship between D4's and D1's from the very beginning
  • Digital Dentistry seems to be really emphasized
Cons:
  • Unsure if a majority of UKCD students end up staying in Lexington after graduation
  • Is there a divide between Kentucky residents and OOS?
Summary: I am really excited about both of these schools! My major dilemma is that I don't know if a smaller class size at Kentucky would be extremely different and restricting socially. Does one school have a better reputation for graduates than the other? Both are around the same cost for tuition (although if anyone from Louisville could let me know if there is a flat tuition cost for each of the 4 years) since I am out of state. I really enjoyed both interview days and felt like each school's faculty genuinely care about their students! Any guidance any student from either of these schools could give would be greatly appreciated!

Congrats again to everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Everyone! Congrats to everyone who got awesome news this past week. I really need help deciding between these two schools.

School 1: University of Louisville
* OOS
Pros:
- Throughout my Interview everyone stressed the family atmosphere of the School
- Early exposure to clinic and plenty of specialties to experience during the 4 years of the DMD program
- vertical integration program for D1, D2, D3, D4
- Manageable Class size with more people to interact with

Cons:
- Location- A little worried about living and how to get to and from the school safely
- Not exactly sure where Dental School students live

School 2: University of Kentucky
* OOS
Pros:
  • Smaller Class Size allows for more hands on help and exposure to Faculty
  • Lexington is really beautiful
  • Stressed the importance of the family atmosphere
  • Close relationship between D4's and D1's from the very beginning
  • Digital Dentistry seems to be really emphasized
Cons:
  • Unsure if a majority of UKCD students end up staying in Lexington after graduation
  • Is there a divide between Kentucky residents and OOS?
Summary: I am really excited about both of these schools! My major dilemma is that I don't know if a smaller class size at Kentucky would be extremely different and restricting socially. Does one school have a better reputation for graduates than the other? Both are around the same cost for tuition (although if anyone from Louisville could let me know if there is a flat tuition cost for each of the 4 years) since I am out of state. I really enjoyed both interview days and felt like each school's faculty genuinely care about their students! Any guidance any student from either of these schools could give would be greatly appreciated!

Congrats again to everyone!
This is a common decision for many students. I would recommend specifically reaching out to the admissions directors of each school asking about living and such! That is what I had done previously when making my decision. It also may help to drive around both campuses again since you may or may not have been to them due to the virtual nature of this year?
Maybe you have already done both of these things but in this time there are never too many questions to ask the schools since you know they want you to go with their program! They will be happy to provide more indepth guidance and answers most times or potentially connect you with D1s etc.

Reactions: 1 user
I interviewed and visited both. I personally liked Kentucky better.

However, both are typical dental schools contributing to the ridiculous system. Either one will give you the piece of paper allowing you to work in the real world and springboard your practical learning.

Therefore I think it would come down to class size and location. Louisville is bigger in class and population of city. I think cost of living was a bit higher. Lexington is more on the smaller end in both and seemed like it’d be relativity cheap to live there. Either way, state of Kentucky seems like it would be a cool place to live.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello! I was wondering which one you ended up choosing? :)
I applied to Louisville and Kentucky and am also an out of state student (from Florida)

Hello! I was wondering which one you ended up choosing? :)
I applied to Louisville and Kentucky and am also an out of state student (from Florida)
Hi! I ended up choosing Kentucky and love it! It’s small class size really allows you the ability to get hands on experience really early on!

Reactions: 1 users