Loupe light and flip up lenses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

therock21

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be purchasing loupes soon, about a month, and am curious about whether the light is worth it or not. I've talked to some people that say a light is a necessity and others that say they've never used it. What do you think?

Also, I think I like the flip up lenses, I know some companies say they're garbage and whatnot but I liked them when I tried them on because you could get more of a tilt out of them and not have to bend your neck so much. Will there be something I won't like after using them for a long period?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

get the light. Its almost as important if not more than the loupe. Just buy both.

Also, I think I like the flip up lenses, I know some companies say they're garbage and whatnot but I liked them when I tried them on because you could get more of a tilt out of them and not have to bend your neck so much. Will there be something I won't like after using them for a long period?

Thanks
less movable parts the better.

Members don't see this ad :)
the choice of TTL or flip-ups is one you need to make for yourself. It's all about what you prefer. I personally prefer flip-ups because I would go nuts if I couldn't get the lenses out of my line of sight. Some people can get past it just fine.

I have 2 sets of Surgitel flip-ups, 3.0 and 5.5. I think Surgitel offers the best angle for flip-ups to reduce neck strain. Also, their wide angle lenses are more compact than other brands. My 5.5x are smaller than DFV or Zeiss or orascoptic.

My 3.0 were great for lab projects, but now that I am treating patients, I am finding that my 5.5x are invaluable for restorative procedures. It is just amazing what a difference it makes being able to see in detail. It's not just preps, but being able to contour a composite almost perfectly before curing, detecting miniscule amounts of flash after curing, getting your finish and polish just right.

Absolutely, positively, get the light!

Unless you have the hands of a neurosurgeon, my recommendation is to go with the highest magnification you can afford. If you can't afford it, beg, borrow or steal!

Thanks guys. Yeah, most of the people at my school recommend the light as well. I guess I'll probably fork over the extra couple hundred dollars.

get the light. Its almost as important if not more than the loupe. Just buy both.

ultralight optics - featherlight. You wont regret it. I need to say their name 5 more times today to get my spamming check in the mail.... :p

i have the lumadent and it is the ****.

I'm about to buy a lumadent and sell my ultralight. The featherlight is a good light, but tends to get too diffuse when you are using higher magnification. The lumadent has more of a spotlight with clear borders. Plus, at ~350, it is tough to beat that price.