loupe light?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snuffie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm buying a new loupe light and I'm looking to see if anyone has any advice? I have never had one and would like a good deal. But, it's very important that it is a quality light.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I bought mine from Designs for Vision. It is fine. If you contact the company you bought your loupes from you might be able to work a deal with them.

I have an orascoptic, the model with the 3 modes/intensities of light. Big battery pack that failed about 3 months in (say 3 charges). Replaced for free but the local rep is not exactly personable or helpful.

Battery lasts forever. The attachment to the orascoptic loupes is atrocious. One screw in a track that makes the light want to shift around all the time and the screw is tiny and rounded so its impossible to tighten it as much as you want to.

Couple of my classmates have been selling very small, long lasting lights for an extremely reasonable price. I would have purchased one of those if they had made it at the time.

i agree with you Steve. the best way to buy one is in person so you can try it out. my problem is that i live in the boonies. and the few times i make it into a large city i have no idea where to look. i found a store in Houston that has a good selection but only name brand ($$$). if anyone knows of a shop in Memphis TN or little rock AR ( or between or close) i would love to know about it. maybe Nashville or st. Louis, i travel there but less frequently.

I originally had the Designs for Vision headlamp. High quality light, very nice. However I hated wearing on my head so I sold it on ebay and bought the lumadent at group discount w/ a few other students. It ended up being $330 for everything. For that price its not a bad light, does its job. I think the components like the battery back holder and the clips are really cheap, but other than that I have no complaints. The ultralight is a nice light. The sales girls like to say that it's very durable and they demonstrate that point by slamming it on the counter. But with the student discount they charge $495 plus another $30 or $40 for the composite filter. That's way overpriced. If you're an ASDA officer then you can go to the national meeting an get an ultralight for $300 but other than that I would go with the lumadent.

I originally had the Designs for Vision headlamp. High quality light, very nice. However I hated wearing on my head so I sold it on ebay and bought the lumadent at group discount w/ a few other students. It ended up being $330 for everything. For that price its not a bad light, does its job. I think the components like the battery back holder and the clips are really cheap, but other than that I have no complaints. The ultralight is a nice light. The sales girls like to say that it's very durable and they demonstrate that point by slamming it on the counter. But with the student discount they charge $495 plus another $30 or $40 for the composite filter. That's way overpriced. If you're an ASDA officer then you can go to the national meeting an get an ultralight for $300 but other than that I would go with the lumadent.

i got my Design for vision light for about $300 when they were doing a promo for the class. can't complain about it. the way it clips on is slightly annoying but other than that I think it's a good light.

Tufts is giving us the led daylight mini. is that any good?