Loupes for D1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AkaDr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
how common is it for D1s to buy loupes??

Members don't see this ad.

At SB, we are encouraged to buy our loupes for our intro to operative class in our first year. It helps to have them to help with posture. Check out when your school starts operative technique and that will probably be a good time to buy them. Also, your school may have vendors coming and that will be a good time to check them out.

Operative - Loupes = A LOT of unnecessary neck and back pain.

I was also one of the few that used them during our second semester of waxing and I personally thought it made everything a lot easier and faster.

Members don't see this ad :)
if one wears contacts, do they typically get prescription loupes or non prescription and wear contacts all the time?

I do not suggest the designs for vision nike frames. They are flimsy and the side shields that hold the cable for their light always breaks. Get the "tank" frames from them.

Can any of you that have loupes already suggest a webpage that might have a picture of many different styles? I'm just curious as to what's out there. Thanks!

Scotty

I don't know how it works for other schools but I'm almost positive that it's done in the same manner. But for us here at Houston, the local reps from the major companies all came to the school to show us their loupes, have us try them on, mess with different magnifications, try things with or without light, etc etc. Here are the websites for two of the more common loupes companies but just like sunglasses or normal glasses, you really cant know for sure unless you try them on.

www.orascoptic.com
www.surgitel.com

I don't know how it works for other schools but I'm almost positive that it's done in the same manner. But for us here at Houston, the local reps from the major companies all came to the school to show us their loupes, have us try them on, mess with different magnifications, try things with or without light, etc etc. Here are the websites for two of the more common loupes companies but just like sunglasses or normal glasses, you really cant know for sure unless you try them on.

www.orascoptic.com
www.surgitel.com

Thanks dude...checked out both sites. Quite a bit to those little buggers! You have any opinions on whether or not to get a light? I've seen students with both. I would assume having the light would be nice, but I bet it's pretty expensive.

Scotty

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with having them for your Operative class. Most schools have a vendor fair where the major loupes companies will show to push there product on you. In any case, make sure to ask your upperclassmen about what they bought. There are so many options. The biggest decision will be your magnification and that is something you search here on SDN/ask at school.

The light is nice. Get a combo from one of the vendors when they come blazing through your school. Most have a 30-day return policy, so one of my classmates ordered a pair from every major vendor, and only kept the ones she liked best.

i have the surgitel half jacket, 2.5x, and just bought the light.
I would definitely recommend this combo, their light is pretty good ( i hear loupelights.com is also a great led light company). get it before you start amalgam or composite, i dont think it is too necessary for waxing

i think the surgitel optics are much more clearer than the other companies..

Most of us here at VCU bought ours in the first semester. I got the Heine 2.5's. I can't imagine what it would be like to work without them!

Members don't see this ad :)
My friend (who's a D4) said surgitel has horrible customer service and orascoptic is okay as long as you don't deal with Scott.

Anyone have good experience with surgitel or orascoptic?

My friend (who's a D4) said surgitel has horrible customer service and orascoptic is okay as long as you don't deal with Scott.

Anyone have good experience with surgitel or orascoptic?
A few in my class started out with Orascoptic, then switched to Surgitel and are much happier. I gotta admit, the Oakley TTL frames are sweet! I tried them on they are probably the lightest of any I've put on, and I've tried on at least a couple pairs of each of the leading brands. Although, you aren't the first that has posted about Surgitel having crappy customer service if your loupes break...

Why did you go for 2.5x vs. the 3.5x

Why did you go for 2.5x vs. the 3.5x
Me? Cuz it was a bit cheaper, I was totally new to loupes, and the field of view is larger on the 2.5's. I plan on getting a set of 3-3.5's right before graduating tho.

Thanks, that was helpful. So you went with the Oakley TTL (half jacket, m frame or fate?), Heine 2.5x? How much did that run? did you also purchase the light?

EDIT:
I just searched for heine 2.5x, what working distance (in mm) did you choose?
Also found a price range, $875 to over 1500, yikes!
http://www.medicalresources.com/shopping/proddisplay.asp?catalogid=1298
If you're talking to me, yes, I got the Heine HR 2.5's. They look like this:

http://heine.com/eng/PRODUCTS/PRODUCT-OVERVIEW/Binocular-Loupes/HEINE-HR-R-Binocular-Loupes

I got the max working distance, I think, around 22"? I'm 6'4 so I need the longer distance. No light for me. I couldn't justify the extra expense and I think by the time I purchase my 2nd set of Loupes the lights will probably be lighter/cheaper/better.

Oh, and I paid around $930 I think. Student discount saves you hundreds.

Get them ASAP. Get used to using them, and don't look back.

I have quite a bit of experience with loupes having owned two pairs of loupes and two different headlights. I wear them for everything, and I mean everything even perio.

First and foremost get lightweight and comfortable ones. They will all tell you their optics are superior. This is BS. Every major company has good optics; so don't listen to the hype. Just focus on LIGHTWEIGHT & COMFORTABLE.

Also, get the highest mag that comes in a lightweight package. The whole point in loupes is to magnify so don't screw around with lower power mags. Usually this is 3.5x. Don't worry about field of view. If you can see slightly more than one tooth, then the field is wide enough.

I have owned QOptics and Designs for Vision. Do NOT get the "tank" (Buddy Holly or Yeoman) frame from DFV. They were so heavy that I could not wear them for more than a couple of hours. Now they are just an expensive paperweight. I like QOptics. They use plastic rather than metal lens housings which makes the package very light. They have good customer service (I had my frames replaced once with no problems), and they are cheap.

Finally, GET A LIGHT. Don't believe anyone who tells you that you don't need one because they have obviously never used one.:laugh:

Remember increased mag equals increased need for illumination. Also, there is a fundamental difference between light coming in from the side and light coming from the same direction that your eyes are looking.

Again focus on LIGHTWEIGHT. Don't focus on brightness. They are all bright enough. The brighter ones, like QOptics or DFV are so bright that you will probably turn down the intensity to decrease fatigue.

I have used the QOptics light and the Ultralight (http://ultralightoptics.com/ formerly loupelights.com). They are both good, but the Ultralight is the lightest one available; so I recommend that.

DFV also makes a lighter loupe light now, and even though the light is supposed to be not as bright as their original, I still never put it up full power. This is in a not so nicely lit preclinical lab. See what light + loupe packages you can get, and I definitely agree with light and comfortable when looking at these guys! The happier your body and eyes are at the end of the day, the better work you will do!

---"Also, get the highest mag that comes in a lightweight package. The whole point in loupes is to magnify so don't screw around with lower power mags. Usually this is 3.5x. Don't worry about field of view. If you can see slightly more than one tooth, then the field is wide enough."----

so, you think we/i should start with loupes of 3.5x mag?? i though it would be better to start with 2.0-2.5X and then move on to the 3.5X..

---"Also, get the highest mag that comes in a lightweight package. The whole point in loupes is to magnify so don't screw around with lower power mags. Usually this is 3.5x. Don't worry about field of view. If you can see slightly more than one tooth, then the field is wide enough."----

so, you think we/i should start with loupes of 3.5x mag?? i though it would be better to start with 2.0-2.5X and then move on to the 3.5X..

Not everyone has the $$$ to "move on to" the 3.5x. If you can afford two pairs of loupes in a 3-4 year span, then start with 2.5 and then get 3.5 as suggested by some (I wouldn't personally know). Others I think are saying that just go ahead and buy the 3.5 and force yourself to get used to them while your adjusting to loupes anyway so that you don't have to buy another pair and you're set. But I also know of A LOT of dentists that either don't use loupes at all ( I wouldn't recommend this) or they are fine with the 2.5. Personally, I got a good deal on the orascoptic TTL 2.5 sport frames ($800) so I bought those because I thought it was reasonable as a first year. So far I don't see a need for a higher mag but i also haven't worked in a patient's mouth yet or done any endo or extractions or whatever.

Here at UMDNJ there are absolutely required for the first day of preclinic, you can't drill without them. There are no cons to loupes other than the initial cost, but they are worth every penny and then some.

I have orascoptic with the headlight FYI, and Scott was OK in my book LOL regarding an earlier comment :laugh:

Some more food for thought:

Say you're practicing in your first year out of school and only have one pair of loupes, and they break? Having always done procedures with magnification how comfortable will you be working on people for a few days w/o mag? This is part of why I got 2.5's first, and will get 3.5-4.0 in my senior year. Also, STUDENT DISCOUNT. :D