Loupes question: how's the DFV light?

Discussion in 'Dental' started by Incis0r, Oct 12, 2017 at 12:09 PM.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. Incis0r

Incis0r I LOVE Dental School 2+ Year Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Alterac Valley
    D1 here.

I'm pretty certain I want to go with DFV EF 3.5X. However, I'm wondering whether I should pay an extra $500 and get my light from them as well or if I should go Lumadent for that (heard tons of great things about their lights).

Would appreciate any advice you can share!

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017 at 12:16 PM
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Screwtape

Screwtape 7+ Year Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Midwest, USA
    Dentist
    Go lumadent. 100% sure on this one.

Ari Rezaei, blablabla1 and Incis0r like this.
  4. O Gaúcho

O Gaúcho 2+ Year Member

Jul 14, 2014
    I am in a similar situation as you. But, I am pretty sure I will go with the Surgitel Prism 3.5x with the Oakley frames. The DFV EF seemed pretty bulky and the frames didn't fit me well.

Incis0r likes this.
  5. Incis0r

Aug 9, 2014
    Alterac Valley
    Price seems comparable to DFV. Did you get Lumadent? Were you able to set up a group order with your classmates for the discount?

My DFV rep told me that if I get just the loupes from DFV and not the light, I won't get the free carrying case to transport my loupe + light anymore though.

Edit: just noticed that the DFV lights are all wireless unlike Lumadent, which has a wire.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017 at 3:41 PM
  6. Incis0r

Aug 9, 2014
    Alterac Valley
    When are you buying your set?

7. Screwtape

Screwtape 7+ Year Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Midwest, USA
    Dentist
    I got my lumadent for $300 if I remember. In my opinion much better quality and better customer service. Everything fits in my “loupes only” box from DFV (loupes and light). You just have to do some rearranging. I also just leave them in my office now...

But yes if wireless is a necessity then lumadent is a no go.

Incis0r likes this.
  8. O Gaúcho

O Gaúcho 2+ Year Member

Jul 14, 2014
    November 13th

Incis0r likes this.
  9. Incis0r

Aug 9, 2014
    Alterac Valley
    Have a few follow-up questions for you:

1. You mentioned your box is from DFV. Are your loupes from DFV? What magnification? Expanded Field or no?

2. How long does your Lumadent light last on a single charge? Their website advertises 30 hours but I want to hear from you what your experience is with the actual charge.

3. Are the DFV loupes too heavy in your opinion?

I'm looking at the "Best Value" package from Lumadent- $495.00 retail ($425 if it's a group order with classmates).
    It includes two battery packs, each of which can last "up to 30 hours."

Seems like a way better deal than the DFV light (up to 10 hours battery, and that too only 1 pack).

10. Roy Williams

Roy Williams SDN Gold Donor Gold Donor

Dec 11, 2015
    Has anybody gotten the lumadent 3.3x loupes? I really like those but i'm considering those as well as something from DFV...

Incis0r likes this.
  11. Screwtape

Screwtape 7+ Year Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Midwest, USA
    Dentist
    DFV 3.5 EF.
    I got the group deal when lumadent came to my school.
    My light lasts I would say about 3 clinic days, so like 24 ish hours. I do use it on high or close the whole time. It’s also not on the straight 8 hours all day... but length is very good.

I don’t think they are too heavy but when people try them on they always say “wow those are heavy”. So... I dunno ha.

Incis0r likes this.
  12. Incis0r

Aug 9, 2014
    Alterac Valley
    Awesome. Thank you for all of your help and input, Screwtape.
    Also, a belated congrats on your graduation :) Hope dentistry is treating you well!

13. iono101

iono101 2+ Year Member

Oct 28, 2013
    I ordered the DFV micro3.5 EF. It's much lighter.

Incis0r likes this.
  14. Greyangel6

Greyangel6 2+ Year Member

Aug 8, 2013
    I used Orascoptic 3.8x for pre-clinic. Now I get by with 2.5x Heine in clinic. I still use 3.8x when I'm doing competencies though. Lumadent for light!

Incis0r likes this.
  15. Incis0r

Aug 9, 2014
    Alterac Valley
    Nice. Gonna try this one out too. Which frame did you get?

16. blablabla1

blablabla1 2+ Year Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Lumadent’s the way to go. I use them with my Q-optics 3.0x and it works wonderfully

Incis0r likes this.
  17. yappy

yappy 7+ Year Member

Jul 11, 2008
    Great when it works but overall terrible. Myself, and many friends, have reported that the cord between the battery and the light keeps becoming damaged during normal use and the light no longer works. I have replaced it twice and it's breaking again.

Incis0r likes this.
  18. FanOfCostco

FanOfCostco 5+ Year Member

Jan 30, 2012
    Kinda off topic but I got ultralight with my dfv nikes.
    No matter what kind of "deal" you get, it's not worth it. They try to sell you by offering you "discounts".
    The light itself is alright. It does the job, but it's mediocre at best. Everything feels cheaply made, especially the battery. I would avoid ultralight.

Incis0r likes this.
  19. PreDentTechySon

PreDentTechySon 5+ Year Member

May 13, 2011
    We have DFV because our school has a contract with them and we were required to buy loops through them (Kinda stupid). Anyways, they're alright loops, but a guy in our class got a pair of Q-Optics and they are AMAZING. I know know if you've looked at those loops but if I had a choice in the matter, I would have chosen Q-Optics in a heartbeat.

Incis0r and blablabla1 like this.
  20. blablabla1

Oct 4, 2015
    Absolutely. Q-Optics gets underrated too much. They’re the newer kid on the block but their loupes are fantastic because of how light they are and they’re much better priced (atleast for student pricing) than their competitor. Pairing up one of their loupes with a lumadent is a great combo

Incis0r and PreDentTechySon like this.
  21. Incis0r

Aug 9, 2014
    Alterac Valley
    Thanks for the input. Gonna take a closer look at Q-Optics.

22. Incis0r

Aug 9, 2014
    Alterac Valley
    Have you compared with the DFV?

23. blablabla1

Oct 4, 2015
    I’ve tried on DFV loupes at VCU’s loupes fair and actually like them the least of all the vendors I tried (Q-Optics, DFV, Surgitel, Orascoptic). While the optics themselves were nice and clear, they were extremely heavy and large for the magnification given as were the frames. The light was a bit heavy as well from what I remember. They had limited magnification options and were not very competitively priced. Out of our 98 person class, I think only 2-3 people bought from DFV. About 40-45 people bought from Q-Optics and the rest were split between Surgitel and Orascoptic.

Price and comfort are the two biggest things I looked at when I was buying loupes and with that, I found Surgitel and Q-Optics to be best. The only reason I didn’t go with Surgitel was because their frames were a bit large for my small face and I didn’t like the idea of having plastic Oakley frames (it’s actually some synthetic flexible material but I liked having purely titanium alloy frames like Q-Optics does due to increased durability). If you’re willing to splurge, then I think Orascoptic offers the clearest/best optics. But for having spent only 1200 on my loupes and lumadent light, I’m extremely happy with the comfortable loupes I was able to get.

Incis0r likes this.
  24. Incis0r

Aug 9, 2014
    Alterac Valley
    Thank you for the detailed reply. Really appreciate it :)

Hope school is treating you well man.