love letters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RC2018

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
You can only send to one program saying that you are ranking them #1, right? what about the other programs on your top list that you really liked? How do you tell them? Just say you are my top choices?
My interview at my first choice did not go well and I think the chance of matching there is pretty low, but I might have a good chance at my second choice, should I rank my second choice first and let them know?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You can only send to one program saying that you are ranking them #1, right? what about the other programs on your top list that you really liked? How do you tell them? Just say you are my top choices?
My interview at my first choice did not go well and I think the chance of matching there is pretty low, but I might have a good chance at my second choice, should I rank my second choice first and let them know?
Thanks!
Rank programs as YOU like them. Always. Don't rely on how you felt the interview went or try to guess what programs are looking for. The surest way to not get the program you want, and to always wonder if you could have, is to rank another program higher. Programs will make their list, you will make yours, and the Match will work. As to contacting programs post interview: You aren't obligated to tell any programs anything, but there is no harm in telling your #1 that they are, indeed, your first choice. If you want to contact other programs as well, you can say something positive about your interview experience and that you would be honored to train there without mentioning "top choices."

Reactions: 1 users
When we send thank you/ letters of interest what is the best thing to put in the subject line. It seems too bold to put letter of intent or letter of interest there, but maybe I am just being silly.

When we send thank you/ letters of interest what is the best thing to put in the subject line. It seems too bold to put letter of intent or letter of interest there, but maybe I am just being silly.

How about follow-up to interview? Or End-of-season feedback?

Reactions: 1 user

You are over-thinking this. Keep it short and straightforward. Please don't send emails that say "I'm thinking of ranking you highly". I know what that means. I'm not #1. Again - it is unlikely to change anything, but for programs that want that sort of "you're #1" feelings, it might help, so go ahead and send ONE email.

Subject: You are my #1 program

Text: blah blah blah #1 choice blah blah blah, sincerely, MS

You are over-thinking this. Keep it short and straightforward. Please don't send emails that say "I'm thinking of ranking you highly". I know what that means. I'm not #1. Again - it is unlikely to change anything, but for programs that want that sort of "you're #1" feelings, it might help, so go ahead and send ONE email.

Subject: You are my #1 program

Text: blah blah blah #1 choice blah blah blah, sincerely, MS

I understand what you are saying, but I just have to wonder would it be beneficial telling a program that they're your second choice? Obviously it's not as great as first choice, but ranking something second among a list of at least 10 is still pretty great, don't you think? Is it that there's limited accountability in doing that? As in, it's easier to tell if someone lied about ranking you first after the match comes out, but it's much harder to tell if someone actually ranked you second?

Also, is not responding to a love letter better than responding and telling them that you'd love to go there? Since the latter, it's pretty certain that you're not ranking them first (otherwise you would have stated so...).

I understand what you are saying, but I just have to wonder would it be beneficial telling a program that they're your second choice? Obviously it's not as great as first choice, but ranking something second among a list of at least 10 is still pretty great, don't you think? Is it that there's limited accountability in doing that? As in, it's easier to tell if someone lied about ranking you first after the match comes out, but it's much harder to tell if someone actually ranked you second?
So if your SO told you that you were their second choice as a spouse/bf/gf...how would you feel?

4th years are neurotic, get that and even more so coming closer to match but this is not chaos theory...everything you do is not going to have a huge effect...but no one likes to be second choice.

Just don't. Again, these letters that you send are really more for your own peace of mind so you can know you "tried to do everything," and is very unlikely to actually impact their ranking of you. There is no way that hearing "you're number 2" will sound positive.

Also, is not responding to a love letter better than responding and telling them that you'd love to go there? Since the latter, it's pretty certain that you're not ranking them first (otherwise you would have stated so...).

Again, doesn't matter. Not everyone is neurotic and tells their number one program that they are number one.

Reactions: 1 users
what to put in the subject line for a love letter email?
I will be ranking you #1?

Last edited:
what to put in the subject line for a love letter email?
I will be ranking you #1?

I wrote my top program with the subject "Interview Follow-up" and made it brief. I had already alluded to their placement high on my list in the thank-you note I sent post-interview. So I basically told them that after reflecting on all the programs I visited, they were still my #1 and I will be ranking them as such.