Low Average Credit Hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gogorillas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

Currently a sophomore, completed the gen chems, org I, mirco, genetics, intro bio, and intro bio II. I have a 4.0. Plus, planning to do some serious studying for MCAT.
When I was in high school, I took a lot of gen eds through the high school. That being said, I've been averaging around 13 credit hours per semester in college. Usually two sciences classes and a gen ed. I recently noticed that you're supposed to average 15 or more credit hours per semester. I do work, but usually not more than 10 hours a week.

Question: How big of a damper will averaging under 15 credit hours play into medical acceptance if I have a good GPA and a good MCAT score?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think it should really affect anything so long as you pick up your pace afterward. If you're planning on taking next semester to finish the prereqs, study for the MCAT, and take it in the summer AND you keep the 4.0, it should be fine.

However, it is not going to be fine if you stick to that forever. Even next semester, take at least 16 credits and increase the course load to about 15-18 during your last 2 years. To be honest, managing straight As isn't that impressive if you don't have many credits; so, keep the grades but slowly increase the credits to show that it isn't a fluke GPA.

That may be true, but if you are taking 2-3 upper division science courses and are doing your required shadowing and/or volunteering, plus a job you should be alright. I hardly think they will penalize you for doing well.

Adcomms will be looking at the total load you carry, not just the academic load. I agree ten work hours a week isn't much, but if you did research, volunteered a few places, shadowed, participated in student government, had some family responsibilities, and ran a sport-related group (or somesuch), they'd still have some respect for your time management skills.

[But, if you spent 20 hours a week on video games, then, not so much.]