Low Class Rank/Decent GPA - Peds Residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RockThisDAT

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey folks, long time lurker but first time posting. I’m a D4 with a 3.8 GPA and recently checked my class rank. Turns out I’m in the bottom 10% of my class. Absolutely crushed at first to hear this, but also shocked because I thought I was doing ok.

I was hoping to apply to residency this summer (peds), but I don’t even know where I stand anymore after seeing my class rank. I was super involved with extracurriculars all 4 years, did research, went to many conferences, so the other parts of my application are good. I’m worried about how class rank will affect my app. Any thoughts?

Also, has anyone else experienced anything similar to this in terms of class rank/gpa?

Members don't see this ad.

I have seen this often.
A year in a good GPR out shines poor class rank.

P.S. Is a bit late to be applying to most residencies?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
id try and apply broadly and see, you can always apply gpr after if you don't match

Try to take ADAT maybe and do well on it, it will just shows you are capable.
Honestly, a good gpa and low rank is not your problem!
Everyone else probably is 3.8001, 3.8005. which is a joke
how many are you like 30
If everyone was getting As, how is it your problem that you ranked lower, just because they differed by slight decimials. That doesn't cancel your achievment and hard work.
Maybe your school accepted the best and you all are very smart and capable..
Maybe they did inflate grades, but again, not your problem!
I wouldn't waste a year of my life on a gpr if I can do PED right away.
Try to get good LOR from PED, and also get exposure to PED/ Exterenship/Volunteering etc..
And apply broadly to PED, and if you didn't match, try to post match with PED and if you still didn't get in, then go to a GPR/AGED (POST match)

Last edited:
How is a 3.8 gpa equal to bottom 10%... Are you sure you're not top 10%?