Low COMLEX, is FM the only option?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Here are the "new" Lifestyle Specialities: PROADE

PMR: Over glorified PT. Ask an PMR resident what they do, they'll say, "Hey, I can get a pain management fellowship"
Radiology: Technician. Never sees patients.
Optho: 9-5
Anesthia: Technician that needs to know how to deal with codes. 8-4
Derm: Do I have to say it? The KING of Lifestyle Specialities
ER: 3 days of work/ 4 days off OR 4 days of work/ 3 days off. Some days you just see simple family med type cases and get $300k yearly.

But yeah you get the idea lol.

:laugh: good one...ROAD (radiology, optho, anesthesia, derm) used to be the accepted "lifestyle specialties" acronym, like in the 90s. I was under the impression this had changed as anesthesia and rads weren't really considered as "lifestyle" as folks thought and the job markets were shakey. I have seen PROP'D as the newer lifestyle specialty acronym (Psych, rad onc, optho, PM&R, derm). Either way these things are pretty funny. EM is definitely not a lifestyle specialty, constantly fluctuating schedules are F'ing horrendous, especially as you age.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I find that hard to believe dude.

Lol sure man, sure. Yeah all those sub 500 DOs can’t even match primary care these days :rolleyes:

I have more anecdotes of sub 500 COMLEX scores matching ACGME PC programs than I do fingers.

Reactions: 2 users
Lol sure man, sure. Yeah all those sub 500 DOs can’t even match primary care these days :rolleyes:

I have more anecdotes of sub 500 COMLEX scores matching ACGME PC programs than I do fingers.
I've heard that even ACGME IM programs (that can give you opportunities to specialize) are doable with a slightly low COMLEX score and no USMLE, but its only anecdotal.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard that even ACGME IM programs (that can give you opportunities to specialize) are doable with a slightly low COMLEX score and no USMLE, but its only anecdotal.

Yeah you can see them in the IM match thread. There are a few.

IM is the most abundant specialty with enormous variety and tiers of programs. It's not hard to match into IM. It's hard to match into a specific higher tier IM program, especially those with in-house fellowships, university based or affiliation, etc.

Reactions: 3 users
IM is the most abundant specialty with enormous variety and tiers of programs. It's not hard to match into IM. It's hard to match into a specific higher tier IM program, especially those with in-house fellowships, university based or affiliation, etc.

This. But I would imagine for OPs sake that psych might indeed be off the table given this years match results.

:laugh: good one...ROAD (radiology, optho, anesthesia, derm) used to be the accepted "lifestyle specialties" acronym, like in the 90s. I was under the impression this had changed as anesthesia and rads weren't really considered as "lifestyle" as folks thought and the job markets were shakey. I have seen PROP'D as the newer lifestyle specialty acronym (Psych, rad onc, optho, PM&R, derm). Either way these things are pretty funny. EM is definitely not a lifestyle specialty, constantly fluctuating schedules are F'ing horrendous, especially as you age.
I don't know who put anesthesia in ROAD to begin with, I guess the pay somewhat offset the 60 hour average workweeks. My guess is they just needed an A to make the "road to happiness" acronym work.

EM is questionable. In the absolute perfect practice setup, it can meet ROAD criteria, but I wouldn't bet on it. More likely expect to work your ass off and die 20 years earlier.

Reactions: 3 users
I don't know who put anesthesia in ROAD to begin with, I guess the pay somewhat offset the 60 hour average workweeks. My guess is they just needed an A to make the "road to happiness" acronym work.
Depending on your preferences, the "ROD to happiness" could have also been entertained. Zing!
You're welcome, I'll be here all day.

Reactions: 10 users

EM is questionable. In the absolute perfect practice setup, it can meet ROAD criteria, but I wouldn't bet on it. More likely expect to work your ass off and die 20 years earlier.

I'm pretty sure the ROAD acronym was invented in a different time of medicine where these specialties had significantly better lifestyles than they do today. From what I've read:

• Radiology now has a ton of scans to get through and far more work now that new and better imaging technologies have developed. Despite this, the hours are usually very good, you can interpret scans from home, and the pay is one of the highest.
  • The only thing I know about ophthalmology is that apparently the compensation has been drastically cut.
  • Anesthesia has the issues you've mentioned, but it will always depend on what type of job you take. Also CRNAs are affecting how the field will be shaped in the future, which many are concerned about.
  • I've previously read that on here that "Derm is still the golden goose, and she's priced appropriately."
EM has one of the highest burnout rates. People think it'll be great because it's shift work and doesn't involve call, but the burnout rate should make it abundantly clear why it's not a lifestyle specialty.

Hi all. Long-time lurker, 1st time poster.

Got my level 1 score today of 422. Is FM the only available specialty to me?

Thanks for any advice

Depends -- as I'm sure you're aware, the DO world is about relationships and finding "diamonds in the rough"....go do some audition rotations at your programs of choice, don't be a bonehead but work hard and help the team -- I think you'll be surprised at what comes your way.

I'd whole lot rather have an intern who was a hard worker, knew when to ask questions, didn't cowboy up on patients and that I could work with to help them pass boards vs the natural gazelle with an attitude --- As an attending, I want someone I can trust on the other end of that phone when I'm covering call in the middle of the night --- but that's me....

Reactions: 1 users

PMR: Over glorified PT. Ask an PMR resident what they do, they'll say, "Hey, I can get a pain management fellowship"

Not sure if offended, or....

(we do more than just go into pain, I promise. Sports, US guided joint and spine injections, emg, botox for spasticity, and headache in TBI population, amputee prosthetic management, PRP, prolotherapy, research in neuro-regeneration at the spine for SCI, the list goes on and on, but I get your point.) :p

Radiology: Technician. Never sees patients.
Optho: 9-5
Anesthia: Technician that needs to know how to deal with codes. 8-4
Derm: Do I have to say it? The KING of Lifestyle Specialities
ER: 3 days of work/ 4 days off OR 4 days of work/ 3 days off. Some days you just see simple family med type cases and get $300k yearly.

But yeah you get the idea lol.

Not sure if offended, or....

(we do more than just go into pain, I promise. Sports, US guided joint and spine injections, emg, botox for spasticity, and headache in TBI population, amputee prosthetic management, PRP, prolotherapy, research in neuro-regeneration at the spine for SCI, the list goes on and on, but I get your point.) :p

That dude has some really gross simplifications of these fields and makes me wonder if he's done any real research into what people in the fields say about it. Radiologists are just technicians that never see patients? ER is just a couple days of work a week and it's easy money?

Either they're intentionally being inflammatory or has very little insight into those fields. You could spend half an hour reading the specialty forums and have a better picture than what they presented.

That dude has some really gross simplifications of these fields and makes me wonder if he's done any real research into what people in the fields say about it. Radiologists are just technicians that never see patients? ER is just a couple days of work a week and it's easy money?

Either they're intentionally being inflammatory or has very little insight into those fields. You could spend half an hour reading the specialty forums and have a better picture than what they presented.

I swear to God Idk why they let some of these types of idiots into medical school.

Making false generalizations with no experience in the field or ever having shadowed it or not knowing people that practice within it and reading the crap on this website makes these douchers think they know absolutely and everything.

I feel bad for their future patients mane.

:(

Hi all. Long-time lurker, 1st time poster.

Got my level 1 score today of 422. Is FM the only available specialty to me?

Thanks for any advice

I matched Rads with a 430. Not impossible. Go for what you want, but have a solid backup plan (Plan B and C)

This. But I would imagine for OPs sake that psych might indeed be off the table given this years match results.

A person from my school scored mid to low 400's on both COMLEX exams and had originally failed level 2, still matched psych after getting around 7ish interviews
Another person my school who scored mid 400's on level 1 and then scored mid 500s on level 2 matched psych with 4 interviews only.
People from my school who had no red flags and had scores well above 500 on both exams failed to match psych despite many interviews.
Therefore the conclusion is that psych is not all about board scores. It's your fit into the program and your dedication and commitment to the field that will get you accepted/matched

Hey sorry, I know this is old, but what was your backup? Just curious to know how you juggled that.

Didn’t have much of a backup. Even though I matched, that was my biggest regret retrospectively. I was confident that I would match where I did due to program feedback but I figured if I didn’t match I could SOAP into FM. Turned out that everything was super competitive this year and I was extremely lucky.

Didn’t have much of a backup. Even though I matched, that was my biggest regret retrospectively. I was confident that I would match where I did due to program feedback but I figured if I didn’t match I could SOAP into FM. Turned out that everything was super competitive this year and I was extremely lucky.
Very interesting. I want to be sensible about having a backup, but I feel like refusing to settle is so important. I would almost rather end up in a research or tri year before settling into something else. I’m early on though, still a year left to have my hopes and dreams properly squashed

Very interesting. I want to be sensible about having a backup, but I feel like refusing to settle is so important. I would almost rather end up in a research or tri year before settling into something else. I’m early on though, still a year left to have my hopes and dreams properly squashed

Exactly, I felt the same way. I wasn’t going to let a few stats destroy my dream of going into Rads so I took the risk. Supplement your app with other things and do plenty of aways. Show your dedication to the field and to programs.