Low credit load

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ems34027

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would it be okay to take 12 credits this fall in order to give me time to study for the January MCAT? I am not worried about graduating as I have 30+ credits more than I need right now so that isn't an issue. Will adcoms look down on me for taking a lighter load?

Members don't see this ad.

At my school our adviser encourages us to take 12 in the spring of the year we take our MCAT, so I don't think there is any issue so long as you have taken all of the pre-req courses that will help you on the exam (biochem, physics, etc.)

Truly nobody cares how many credits you took each semester as long as it doesn't take you more than 6 years to graduate.

Honestly I wouldn't recommend taking any classes while studying for the MCAT, but that's just me. I took the entire Fall semester off before my January MCAT, and it's a big reason why I'm in medical school right now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Truly nobody cares how many credits you took each semester as long as it doesn't take you more than 6 years to graduate.

Honestly I wouldn't recommend taking any classes while studying for the MCAT, but that's just me. I took the entire Fall semester off before my January MCAT, and it's a big reason why I'm in medical school right now.

At some schools this would negatively impact any financial aid given to a student because they would no longer be classified as full time, so not practical for everyone unfortunately.

Reactions: 1 user
At some schools this would negatively impact any financial aid given to a student because they would no longer be classified as full time, so not practical for everyone unfortunately.
12 is almost full time time at every school.

Wait, what? Admittedly I'm not an expert on this subject, but while I obviously didn't receive any aid for the semester I took off, I was able to receive the same package as usual for Spring semester. I had several classmates that took semesters off for various reasons as well.

If living expenses is the issue, I worked about 35-40 hours a week while I studied. I found this to be much more feasible (and a nice break) compared to taking classes because of no study burnout.

Reactions: 1 users
Wait, what? Admittedly I'm not an expert on this subject, but while I obviously didn't receive any aid for the semester I took off, I was able to receive the same package as usual for Spring semester. I had several classmates that took semesters off for various reasons as well.

If living expenses is the issue, I worked about 35-40 hours a week while I studied. I found this to be much more feasible (and a nice break) compared to taking classes because of no study burnout.

Hmm. It's very possible I'm remembering wrong but I think mine had the clause that I had to maintain full time status for all 8 semesters the aid was guaranteed.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hmm. It's very possible I'm remembering wrong but I think mine had the clause that I had to maintain full time status for all 8 semesters the aid was guaranteed.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My scholarship had a similar stipulation (plus a GPA level requirement)

Reactions: 1 user
Would it be okay to take 12 credits this fall in order to give me time to study for the January MCAT? I am not worried about graduating as I have 30+ credits more than I need right now so that isn't an issue. Will adcoms look down on me for taking a lighter load?
You're fine with 12 credits in the fall ... and adcoms will not look down on 12 credits ... no worries.

You're already ahead 30+ credits at this time - well done!

Glad to hear you're prioritizing your time (to provide sufficient time) to study for the MCAT in January.