Low GPA, and Low DAT..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NewDent02

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
My extracurriculars are by far my best attribute to my application. I have a low 3.3 GPA, and i just scored a 18AA/TS on the DAT because of QR bringing me down.. I dont know if i should just apply, and see what happens (15+ schools) or retake the DAT in august because thats the next chance I could..

its either apply broadly with what I have and enjoy my first summer off, or retake the DAT in august but and update my DAT score at that point.. I dont know if its too late or not though.. If i dont retake ill have my app done in june.

Members don't see this ad.

My extracurriculars are by far my best attribute to my application. I have a low 3.3 GPA, and i just scored a 18AA/TS on the DAT because of QR bringing me down.. I dont know if i should just apply, and see what happens (15+ schools) or retake the DAT in august because thats the next chance I could..

its either apply broadly with what I have and enjoy my first summer off, or retake the DAT in august but and update my DAT score at that point.. I dont know if its too late or not though.. If i dont retake ill have my app done in june.
Is that your sgpa? If I were you I would apply now and then study for a retake in August! I bet if you could get a 20+ you would get in somewhere! Dont get too discouraged though! There are plenty of other people in your boat (like my self)

Is that your sgpa? If I were you I would apply now and then study for a retake in August! I bet if you could get a 20+ you would get in somewhere! Dont get too discouraged though! There are plenty of other people in your boat (like my self)
What’s your situation if you don’t mind me asking ?

Members don't see this ad :)
What’s your situation if you don’t mind me asking ?

I am also applying this year with lower stats (3.2 sgpa and 21 AA/TS but 16 QR), I may not have to retake the DAT, but I understand how stressful it is as an applicant with lower stats. It is really easy for me to read forums and freak out about my chances. I just did ALOT of research on different schools and applied broadly.

Reactions: 1 user
I am also applying this year with lower stats (3.2 sgpa and 21 AA/TS but 16 QR), I may not have to retake the DAT, but I understand how stressful it is as an applicant with lower stats. It is really easy for me to read forums and freak out about my chances. I just did ALOT of research on different schools and applied broadly.
Yeah we’re really close tbh but the DAT scores.. i messaged you if you don’t mind!

I feel you, I have a 3.37 GPA and 18 on DAT with really low QR as well :( I am probably gonna go a head and try to apply for this cycle because if I retake I wont be able to submit my application until really late and thats not ideal

I feel you, I have a 3.37 GPA and 18 on DAT with really low QR as well :( I am probably gonna go a head and try to apply for this cycle because if I retake I wont be able to submit my application until really late and thats not ideal

I applied two cycles ago with almost exact stats, I got a 14 or 15 QR. I applied broadly to 10 schools and I did not get an interview or waitlisted. Wish you the best though!

I applied two cycles ago with almost exact stats, I got a 14 or 15 QR. I applied broadly to 10 schools and I did not get an interview or waitlisted. Wish you the best though!
Do you think it's the QR that held you back? What was your DAT AA?

I think most(?) schools require at least a 16 on all sections so you seem good there.

My friend had a low GPA, somewhere around there and a similar DAT, definitely not higher and she got into one school. Whatever your extracurriculars are, try to shows schools that those are why the school is a good fit for you and you're a good fit for the school.

For example, I was able to show UNE that much of my volunteer works directly fulfilled their mission statement. Same with BU. I also research some of the events they have participated in in terms of volunteering and I somehow worked that into my secondary essays

What is your DAT breakdown? That can give us a bit more insight into your situation.

Do you think it's the QR that held you back? What was your DAT AA?

My AA was 18 and I got 20s in all science sections. I think the QR did bring my score down. My reading score was 17 I think too which was lower than the scores I had been getting on my practice which also brought my score down.

Are you going to retake and reapply?

I think you have a shot with your stats even with a lower GPA if you have good extracurriculars. Look at schools that have averages similar to yours.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you going to retake and reapply?
Yes I plan on retaking in February and reapplying next cycle. I currently have a job at an orthodontic office and I graduated with my Master's in May (did average). I am also currently working on research with an oral surgeon. Hoping all of these make me look better than I did before.

Same boat and actually did retake dat in August and got the same score but got 2 interviews thus far. Waiting to hear from 4 more schools.

Same boat and actually did retake dat in August and got the same score but got 2 interviews thus far. Waiting to hear from 4 more schools.
what were your stats again if you dont mind me asking? also what schools did you end up hearing back from? i applied in early july to 20 schools with really good extra curricula's, no reaches, and my 3.3 GPA but with my 18AA. I havent heard a thing back from anyone yet though.. no rejections yet i guess are good considering schools like Arizona have already sent them thhrough email? im getting nervous though..

what were your stats again if you dont mind me asking? also what schools did you end up hearing back from? i applied in early july to 20 schools with really good extra curricula's, no reaches, and my 3.3 GPA but with my 18AA. I havent heard a thing back from anyone yet though.. no rejections yet i guess are good considering schools like Arizona have already sent them thhrough email? im getting nervous though..
I had a slightly lower gpa (3.2) and a 21 on the DAT w/ a 16 on QR. I got interviews at Indiana and AT Still MO. I know you have heard this a bunch, but it is a long process! If you look at past years threads, there a plenty of people who dont hear anything until the new year and are still able to get interviews and acceptances!

I plan on retaking in February and reapplying for next cycle. Does a Master in Biomedical Sciences GPA count towards a sgpa or how does that work?
Any science courses you took while pursuing that degree will count towards the sGPA.

Hey n
So I heard back from touro and UB so far I heard back from UB on August 24th and touro I heard from on August 10th. My inteeview st UB was just two days on on the 24th of September and my touro inteeview is December 5th. I applied *offically* to 4 other schools because for UMD i didn’t pay the application fee since they only accept visa and master and honestly I put all my debt for this process on my poor discover card lmao. But i haven’t heard from the other 4. 3 of the four are oos, and 1 is nyu but it doesn’t surprise me I haven’t heard from NYU yet. They don’t review applications in the other they receive them plus it’s hella expensive so I’m sure they conduct many interviews BC thy need bodies it’s just how it is I guess. I’m babking on UB it’s my undergrad school and I love it here I couldn’t imagine anywhere else. I’d say most schools are pretty biased in terms of accepted in state residents just because the majority of people IN MY OPINION are more inclined to attend in state for tuition purposes but as I found out st my interview at UB, NY is one of the few if not the only state that allows OOS residents to apply for in state residency after the first year with simple proof of residence and paying rent for 10 months. So In that way Im saying they welcome a unique breadth of individuals - UB certainly does. So idk where you’re from but if you’re not in NYS, keep your head up you might still have a chance. I hope any of this could help you in some way

Hey n
So I heard back from touro and UB so far I heard back from UB on August 24th and touro I heard from on August 10th. My inteeview st UB was just two days on on the 24th of September and my touro inteeview is December 5th. I applied *offically* to 4 other schools because for UMD i didn’t pay the application fee since they only accept visa and master and honestly I put all my debt for this process on my poor discover card lmao. But i haven’t heard from the other 4. 3 of the four are oos, and 1 is nyu but it doesn’t surprise me I haven’t heard from NYU yet. They don’t review applications in the other they receive them plus it’s hella expensive so I’m sure they conduct many interviews BC thy need bodies it’s just how it is I guess. I’m babking on UB it’s my undergrad school and I love it here I couldn’t imagine anywhere else. I’d say most schools are pretty biased in terms of accepted in state residents just because the majority of people IN MY OPINION are more inclined to attend in state for tuition purposes but as I found out st my interview at UB, NY is one of the few if not the only state that allows OOS residents to apply for in state residency after the first year with simple proof of residence and paying rent for 10 months. So In that way Im saying they welcome a unique breadth of individuals - UB certainly does. So idk where you’re from but if you’re not in NYS, keep your head up you might still have a chance. I hope any of this could help you in some way
Shoot I forgot I also applied to Stony brook so 2/5 other’s we’re in state lol. But stony I’m not banking on I just tried to apply to as many nys schools as possible.

And my stats are as follows:
UB under grad majored in biomedical engineering

Science GPA: 3.50
Overall GPA: 3.42
Dat scores: ATTEMPT 1 - AA18/BIO17/OC16/GC18/RC21/QR19/PAT15

ATTEMPT 2- AA18/BIO15/OC18/GC15/RC23/QR19/PAT15

I arguably did worse the second attempt lol but working full time with absolutely no help from anyone to Pay for these dental school apps seriously took a role in that so idk. I was also dental assisting for a while year prior to this so idk! UB looks at the whole picture for sure and that’s why i say don’t lose hope. Lmk if you’d like to know anything else and i apologize for my poor grammar it’s 3am and I’m up thinking about UB #predentprobs lol

Hey I have quick question, I have low gap (3.2) and low Dat scores (18) too. But I did a lot extracurricular activities in school like running a pre dental society club and volunteered and shadowed a lot too (more than 300 hours). Do I have any chance in getting in?? This is my second time applying (applied in early June) and I am kind of nervous..

Hey I have quick question, I have low gap (3.2) and low Dat scores (18) too. But I did a lot extracurricular activities in school like running a pre dental society club and volunteered and shadowed a lot too (more than 300 hours). Do I have any chance in getting in?? This is my second time applying (applied in early June) and I am kind of nervous..
i have literally the same stats.... did you hear anything back yet?