Low GPA and Low MCAT What to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeuroscEYEnce

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 2.8 GPA and 18O MCAT, 2 years neuro research, and 100 hours volunteering, 100 hour clinical shadowing. I've applied to several SMPs and a couple certificate programs and have been denied to any of the programs. I am now stuck. I have no idea what to do. But I am determined to do whatever it takes to show that I am willing to improve myself and go to medical school or DO. Any advice to what I should do? Also, know of any programs that might match my credentials?

Members don't see this ad.

I have a 2.8 GPA and 18O MCAT, 2 years neuro research, and 100 hours volunteering, 100 hour clinical shadowing. I've applied to several SMPs and a couple certificate programs and have been denied to any of the programs. I am now stuck. I have no idea what to do. But I am determined to do whatever it takes to show that I am willing to improve myself and go to medical school or DO. Any advice to what I should do? Also, know of any programs that might match my credentials?

They rejected you because of your MCAT score. Retake the MCAT, try a different study method, etc. Take post-bacc undergrad, upper level science classes for a year. Then, you can reapply to SMP programs.

Members don't see this ad :)

With an 18O, DO will not take you. Also, I know you didn't mention it, but whatever you do, don't fall into the trap of going offshore (Carib, etc), as enticing as the opportunity may seem. There is something clearly wrong with your MCAT study/test-taking strategy (GPA, i.m.o. is fine for SMP's), and that will bite you in the ***** come USMLE time. No way around it, start reading the 3 month MCAT schedule on SDN and study like your career depends on it! (Because it kind of does..) Hope that helps...Good Luck.

GPA, i.m.o. is fine for SMP's
You might one of the few that think that.

The general rule of thumb for SMPs is 3.0 or damn close to it (meaning like 2.96) - not 2.8

It definitely is not "fine" - it could be balanced with a rockstar MCAT or superb ECs

But as it stands, it most certainly is not "fine"