low gpa..average DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AOx4RN

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
2009 undergad gpa 2.8
2013 bachelor of nursing gpa 3.6
Overall gpa. 3.2 sgpa 3.2
DAT AA 20/ TS 21/QR16

Been a nurse for almost 7 years while recently taking taking prereqs at community colleges.

I applied to several schools with only 1 interview (rejected). Any advice to improve my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

I like to apologize before hand for not answering your question, but I am very curious why do you want to be a dentist after 7 years working as a nurse? Also, have you look into CRNA? This is a better career choice than starting over and try to get into dentistry.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Could you use the WAMC template to provide a complete picture?

Where did you apply? What's your state residency? What's your shadowing experience with dentists?

Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile

Overall GPA: 3.2 (undergrad university: 2.8, BSN degree 3.67) I am currently taking prereqs at community colleges because it fits into my work schedule.
Science GPA: 3.2
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.1
DAT score: 20 AA, 21 TS 16 QR, 19 PAT
State of Residence: CA

Undergrad Attended: University of Merced, California 2009
Major: Biology
Minority? Vietnamese
Shadowing Experience: 160+ general dentist
Volunteering Experience: Passed out food and made blankets for homeless community every winter since 2016
Current profession: Registered Nurse since 2013. Worked 3.5 years in the ICU in Dallas (2 years) and Bay area (1.5 years). PACU RN since 2017
LOR: 1 biology teacher, 1 physics teacher, 1 General dentist, 1 Anesthesiologist

Applied to several schools: California, Nevada, Arizona, Texas, Nebraska, Portland, Washington

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I like to apologize before hand for not answering your question, but I am very curious why do you want to be a dentist after 7 years working as a nurse? Also, have you look into CRNA? This is a better career choice than starting over and try to get into dentistry.

I have always wanted to become a dentist since high school. I lacked focus during my college years. I thought about CRNA but my passion is in dentistry and I am willing to start over at this point in my life.

This is interesting to see that you didn't land any other interviews since your BSN GPA is outstanding. May I ask when did you apply? How many schools did you apply to?

This is interesting to see that you didn't land any other interviews since your BSN GPA is outstanding. May I ask when did you apply? How many schools did you apply to?
Submitted in July. 14 schools

Sadly unless you are a Texas resident, chances are nearly nil if you applied to a Texas school. At the minimum all of your California schools should be in play, and then add some schools geographically nearby. Then add privates that have students represent a national base even if they are further out east.

Sadly unless you are a Texas resident, chances are nearly nil if you applied to a Texas school. At the minimum all of your California schools should be in play, and then add some schools geographically nearby. Then add privates that have students represent a national base even if they are further out east.
Yeah...California, I wish lol

Apply broadly to private schools. The cost might be higher, but you have a better chance of getting in. Really weigh the cost vs benefits before you switch.