Low GPA - BSn or post bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Behold1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
So very long story that is too long to type- I always felt I had the academic abilities to handle med school. After a 6 month concussion + very bad anxiety (never had it and suddenly I was having panic attacks nearly everyday), my GPA tanked my first semester at my transfer school (Ohio state - go Bucks!). Very bad depression was very hard on me and my GPA was mediocre in the semesters following until my 5th and final year. Things were really starting to get better....and then my dad died out of nowhere, I lost my mind, tried to kill myself, hospital mandated a 6 week therapy program and it changed my life. I have found so much peace that wasn't there and my head is not constantly racing with anxious or depressed thoughts to distract me. I've been doing well in school again :D antidepressant has helped so much. Anyways. I'm graduating soon with an expected cGPA of 2.5. I had finally given up on med school last year and decided to go to an accelerated BSN (1 year) program...but I know that being a surgeon is my calling and I will always want to go back and try again. I was looking into post bacc options (I am very interested in the ones that guarantee a spot if you meet their benchmarks). Do I get a BSN (would be a nice gpa raiser since I expect to do well) or do I attempt to get into a post bacc with my low pitiful 2.5? I figure if I get the BSN I can then have a career to pay back my huge loan debt and take upper level science classes to attempt to get into med school that way. My mom would be willing to pay for my post bacc if I insist that it's what I want. Could I even get into a Post-bacc with a 2.5? I'd love opinions from post bac or nursing to med school people or anyone honestly lol

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Also, I took the MCAT just to see how it would go and got a 514. If I study I might be able to get it higher. Lack of academic capability isn't the reason for my gpa

I'd vote SMP. You've obviously got what it takes to do well in med school (nice MCAT score!) so find a program (preferably with a linkage), show your stuff, and get your acceptance!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd vote SMP. You've obviously got what it takes to do well in med school (nice MCAT score!) so find a program (preferably with a linkage), show your stuff, and get your acceptance!
Thanks :) I think if I get into a post bacc, I'll choose that. If I don't get a SMP spot maybe I can try a DIY SMP that I've heard of (haven't seen any posts on the effectiveness of the diys)

As a bit of life advice you should never really take very important exams "just to see how it would go", but a 514 is a high score :). General consensus is you should not retake a high score (like 513+) unless it's going to expire.

I dont think theres any such thing as a DIY SMP. But people do DIY postbacs and the "effectiveness" of those can be found everywhere. A lot of people do DIY postbacs and get accepted no problem, so it's just as effective at fulfilling their purposes as a formal program.

To add to my previous, go to nursing school only if you want to be a nurse.

An SMP is your path of least resistance. I did BSN->Med school, but it’s a very indirect route, and not really worth it unless you want to be a nurse.

If not an SMP, I’d try to get a cert for OR tech and then do a DIY-postbacc until your cGPA>3.0, but this would take many more years.

Fantastic MCAT, though. Personally I’d apply before it expires.