low GPA but high OAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Elizah46

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guy! So I retook some classes to help my GPA, but I'm a little worried that it will be a red flag and not even get me an interview:( My GPA is around 3.0 for both overall and science (including the retakes). Is there anyone here that is in a similar situation? Or anyone who received interviews being a low gpa/ high oat applicant

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
How did you score so high with such a low gpa? Just curious

Hey! I'm in a nearly identical situation as you. I haven't submitted my application yet, but this website: Deadlines and Other Information | OptomCAS says how important OAT scores are to each school. I've been using it as a guide to decide which schools I should apply to.

@Mr Donald Mouse I can't speak for @Elizah46 , but for myself, I attribute my low GPA to attending an undergraduate university that curves chemistry and most biology courses to a C. I was also kinda stuck taking the hard upper-level classes at the same time since I made the mistake of not taking any bio/chem courses freshman year (long story). I think my college courses tested me on material that was more difficult than the OAT, so I was able to do well on that but not as well in the actual courses.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I have the same GPA as you roughly but I scored low on the OAT and applied late last cycle. I was told by an adcom that if I had scored something around a 360 I would've been able to land an interview, so I'm currently studying to do so. Your OAT scores are much higher than the average of acceptance across US schools, so I would say you're solid as long as you can explain the lower GPA in interviews. Good luck!

I knew I'd have to somehow balance my app so I studied my butt off for the OAT. The OAT destroyer really helped me while preparing for it. And that 3.0 is pretty much after grade replacement lol I'm kinda already mentally preparing myself to reapply.

Also
Hi, I have the same GPA as you roughly but I scored low on the OAT and applied late last cycle. I was told by an adcom that if I had scored something around a 360 I would've been able to land an interview, so I'm currently studying to do so. Your OAT scores are much higher than the average of acceptance across US schools, so I would say you're solid as long as you can explain the lower GPA in interviews. Good luck!
@skra7 thank you! When did you submit your app last cycle? I'm trying to get everything together but my letters of rec are literally dragging it out

Also

@skra7 thank you! When did you submit your app last cycle? I'm trying to get everything together but my letters of rec are literally dragging it out

I submitted in March, so basically when most classes were already full lol. You should be fine as long as you submit anytime before Thanksgiving!

Last edited:
I’m in the same boat. 3.02 GPA but 370 OAT. So far, I have an interview with SCCO. Their invite standards are simply 2.75+ GPA and 300+ OAT, which seems somewhat not as competitive as other schools.

Honestly, if your other aspects of your application are strong, I think you will be fine with a lower GPA.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Also, I don’t think it’s mentioned enough that minority status can sometimes help with this. It’s just a fact of admissions in general. White, American males will tend to need a higher GPA to get in than any other demographic. Something to consider when figuring out your chances of getting accepted.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile