• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

dstudent2210

Apr 23, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
I am currently preparing to apply to dental school for the first time this summer. I am junior, attending a "public ivy" school with a neuroscience major.

I have not yet taken the DAT (plan on taking it in June). I will most likely be around a 2.8 GPA with a science GPA a tad lower.

I have braced for the GPA by logging above average shadow/volunteer hours, clubs and activities.

With a strong DAT score, ie 21+ (I am usually above average with standardize tests), what are the chances of being accepted to dental schools? Which schools more specifically should I apply to with stats like this? As a backup plan, what are the options for the year off.

Thanks.

wizi

10+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Sorry, your chance is very slim with a 2.8. Even 21 DAT might not make up for it. Plus, its very hard to "evaluate" you since you havent taken the DAT yet.

You can do a SMP (do a search on SDN about SMP) in your gap year. Try to get 3.5+ SMP GPA.

JdogDMD

Dec 3, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Chances are not good at all. Even if you scored a 23 on the DAT your GPA is way too low!!!! Plus June is when the application opens. You'll be applying late in the cycle if you take your DAT in June... Someone in your situation would have to apply June 1 to even have a glimmer of hope at getting an interview somewhere. Good luck.

About the Ads

dentalprodigy

Mr. Awesome
10+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2009
South Jersey, NJ
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Lame excuse 4 low GPA but it is what it is...ur chances are slim regardless of your school status

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

DentalDoc123

Apr 24, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Honestly if you study really hard and get a good DAT along with having good extracurricular credentials, you have a shot. Dental schools really like students who log a great deal of volunteer/shadow hours and may look past your GPA if everything else on your application is strong.

xaznxcountx

10+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Got to get that GPA higher buddy. Been there, done that. I would highly recommended looking into a Masters program. 2.8 ain't going to cut it even with a 22+ DAT. Best of luck.

carnegie86

Apr 24, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Got to get that GPA higher buddy. Been there, done that. I would highly recommended looking into a Masters program. 2.8 ain't going to cut it even with a 22+ DAT. Best of luck.

What about Post-bac programs as oppose to a masters?
I'm definitely in the same situation as you with the low gpa and have retaken a few classes to improve my gpa.

Parklife

Mar 25, 2012
Status (Visible)
Don't give up hope. What is your sci GPA? You can either do a postbacc or retake classes. I would get a masters. A masters degree is worth something. Retaking classes is not. Is double majoring an option? You could also do that-delaying your time in undergrad but giving more opportunity to bring that GPA up.

Make sure all other aspects of your app are flawless. During the retake period you can also buff up your ECs. Mind your time frame. You don't want your DAT to expire.

wizi

10+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
What about Post-bac programs as oppose to a masters?
I'm definitely in the same situation as you with the low gpa and have retaken a few classes to improve my gpa.

Because aadsas combines your post bac GPA with your undergrad GPA --> it takes a really long time to raise your GPA (when you ACE all of your post-bac classes)

aadsas will have a separate column for your master GPA --> its like a 2nd chance. Its preferred by adcoms because you have to take a lot of upper level Bio classes....

ChuckDAT

Aug 17, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
How does this look?
oGPA 3.5
sGPA 3.4
DAT 19/20/19 (all above 20 on Sciences)

I know someone will mention extracirricular's and I will just say if it comes down to that I feel good about my chance. I will list highlights though...
-300+ hours of shadowing from 3 dentists (2 General and 1 ortho)
-Two research jobs, one with pending publication
(and overall a bunch of volunteer)

Can someone give me an opinion? I know 3.5 isn't terrible but when you look at pre-dents and some studs on here it looks weak! :oops: I am not looking at any IVY, just south/southeast D. schools. Thanks in advance!

KittySquared

Kitty chompers
7+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2010
7 seas
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Original poster. I wouldn't recommend applying. I'd consider a year and half of post bac science classes and perhaps retaking some of the classes you got Cs in. Or do a year of 1 year masters biology/physiology type of science programs and then apply. Something needs to happen to that GPA. Honestly.

How does this look?
oGPA 3.5
sGPA 3.4
DAT 19/20/19 (all above 20 on Sciences)

I know someone will mention extracirricular's and I will just say if it comes down to that I feel good about my chance. I will list highlights though...
-300+ hours of shadowing from 3 dentists (2 General and 1 ortho)
-Two research jobs, one with pending publication
(and overall a bunch of volunteer)

Can someone give me an opinion? I know 3.5 isn't terrible but when you look at pre-dents and some studs on here it looks weak! :oops: I am not looking at any IVY, just south/southeast D. schools. Thanks in advance!
You're right in the middle of the ball park. Apply early to 15 schools. Should be good. Looks like Nova's scores.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.