Low GPA, Decent MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LopsidedTurtle

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
On this thread for a reason: what are my chances? My GPA is pretty damn low, but I feel like my general experience and MCAT scores might overcome it? I really just need to know if my GPA is going to require me to do some post-bacc work or a masters degree to bring it up. I really messed up in overall scheduling by taking a bunch of AP classes and DE classes in highschool, so I'm only spending two years in college to graduate officially, but I didn't decide on medical school until last year, so my grades were pretty much average (and below). At this point, I don't really expect to get into any top tier MD schools, I just want to get in, haha. I am in my junior year, as a white female florida resident looking at MD (not DO) schools, if that matters.

Overall GPA: 3.3
Science GPA: 3.5 (it should be noted that organic (both) I had an A in, it was physics that got me)
MCAT score: 514- but I'm going for a retake in May so that could help it go up

Experience:
-Two summer study abroads, one to India and one to Vietnam
-Patient care volunteer hours: nearly 800
-Shadowing hours: 50
-Internship in medical research for class credit (6 credit hours, so around 200 real time hours)
-Several leadership positions in a variety of on campus clubs
-General volunteering hours (non-medical): 200

If my chances are low, what do you advise I do? Post bacc classes, masters, more research or volunteering? I am thinking that my low GPA and shadowing hours are my biggest gaps, but I don't really know.

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

You do not need to retake the MCAT. Your only weakness is your GPA and if you can increase your cGPA to 3.6 by the time you graduate you should receive several interviews from your Florida schools. Apply to all your Florida MD schools including the new NOVA MD school.