Low GPA... Do I have a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1065604

I'm a non-traditional applicant. My OptomCAS application was just verified, and I'm feeling discouraged... My cGPA was calculated to be 2.90, and my sGPA 2.47. I do feel like I have a compelling story for my low GPA, but I just don't know if that's enough.

I scored a 400TS/380AA on the OAT. I have 5+ years of experience working as an optometric technician, and I was an active member of my pre-optometry organization; I also served as PR Chair & VP, and I volunteered as a vision screener. Other extracurriculars I was involved in are: Alpha Epsilon Delta, Vietnamese Students Association, Filipino Students Association, and my sorority.

I've submitted my application to a bunch of programs, but verification was a punch in the face. I don't know where to go from here. I feel like there's no hope for me.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a non-traditional applicant. My OptomCAS application was just verified, and I'm feeling discouraged... My cGPA was calculated to be 2.90, and my sGPA 2.47. I do feel like I have a compelling story for my low GPA, but I just don't know if that's enough.

I scored a 400TS/380AA on the OAT. I have 5+ years of experience working as an optometric technician, and I was an active member of my pre-optometry organization; I also served as PR Chair & VP, and I volunteered as a vision screener. Other extracurriculars I was involved in are: Alpha Epsilon Delta, Vietnamese Students Association, Filipino Students Association, and my sorority.

I've submitted my application to a bunch of programs, but verification was a punch in the face. I don't know where to go from here. I feel like there's no hope for me.

Hey there! From your OAT scores alone, you’re a strong candidate. No school is going to look at only one facet of your application.
Given your extracurricular activities, I am assuming you are Asian. If that is so, you can also play up diversity in your application.
That kind of score, leadership skills, and the diversity factor make you a strong candidate for competing schools like UCB, Ohio State, SUNY, etc.

Best of luck!

Hey there! From your OAT scores alone, you’re a strong candidate. No school is going to look at only one facet of your application.
Given your extracurricular activities, I am assuming you are Asian. If that is so, you can also play up diversity in your application.
That kind of score, leadership skills, and the diversity factor make you a strong candidate for competing schools like UCB, Ohio State, SUNY, etc.

Best of luck!

Thank you for your time & feedback. I really do appreciate it, and I will keep your advice in mind.