Low GPA... Do I have a chance?

Started by deleted1065604
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

D

deleted1065604

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a non-traditional applicant. My OptomCAS application was just verified, and I'm feeling discouraged... My cGPA was calculated to be 2.90, and my sGPA 2.47. I do feel like I have a compelling story for my low GPA, but I just don't know if that's enough.

I scored a 400TS/380AA on the OAT. I have 5+ years of experience working as an optometric technician, and I was an active member of my pre-optometry organization; I also served as PR Chair & VP, and I volunteered as a vision screener. Other extracurriculars I was involved in are: Alpha Epsilon Delta, Vietnamese Students Association, Filipino Students Association, and my sorority.

I've submitted my application to a bunch of programs, but verification was a punch in the face. I don't know where to go from here. I feel like there's no hope for me.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a non-traditional applicant. My OptomCAS application was just verified, and I'm feeling discouraged... My cGPA was calculated to be 2.90, and my sGPA 2.47. I do feel like I have a compelling story for my low GPA, but I just don't know if that's enough.

I scored a 400TS/380AA on the OAT. I have 5+ years of experience working as an optometric technician, and I was an active member of my pre-optometry organization; I also served as PR Chair & VP, and I volunteered as a vision screener. Other extracurriculars I was involved in are: Alpha Epsilon Delta, Vietnamese Students Association, Filipino Students Association, and my sorority.

I've submitted my application to a bunch of programs, but verification was a punch in the face. I don't know where to go from here. I feel like there's no hope for me.

Hey there! From your OAT scores alone, you’re a strong candidate. No school is going to look at only one facet of your application.
Given your extracurricular activities, I am assuming you are Asian. If that is so, you can also play up diversity in your application.
That kind of score, leadership skills, and the diversity factor make you a strong candidate for competing schools like UCB, Ohio State, SUNY, etc.

Best of luck!
 
Hey there! From your OAT scores alone, you’re a strong candidate. No school is going to look at only one facet of your application.
Given your extracurricular activities, I am assuming you are Asian. If that is so, you can also play up diversity in your application.
That kind of score, leadership skills, and the diversity factor make you a strong candidate for competing schools like UCB, Ohio State, SUNY, etc.

Best of luck!

Thank you for your time & feedback. I really do appreciate it, and I will keep your advice in mind.