1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Low GPA. first year pre-med

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by CadetV, Dec 23, 2008.

1. CadetV

Pre-Medical
    This semester I acquired a 2.3 GPA because i received an F in Western Civ and a D in Calculus. The Western Civ grade was a fluke and will be corrected to an A within the next week but that still leaves the D in Calculus. If i do retake it, i will do it at the local community college. I would like to know if it would be worth it to retake this class. Because this is my first year of college and semester of college, I would like to know how bad my chances have been hurt of making it into med school.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ksmi117

ksmi117 GEAUX TIGERS!!!
    Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    While a D does nothing to help your application, it can be overcome. Definitely retake it and get an A. From here on out, you've got to get those A's though, to pull that GPA back up. But don't worry too much. It's only your first semester. If there's any semester to get a D in, it's the first. Med schools like to see upward trends for GPA's.

Best of luck!

4. RySerr21

RySerr21 i aint kinda hot Im sauna
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    definitely retake the D. Its only your first semester, you still have all of your other pre reqs and other courses you can do well in. Its not going to kill your chances, but you should definitely retake. The MD schools will do some sort of average, and if you end up applying DO, they will just take your highest grade and totally ignore the D as far as GPA calculation.

5. JeetKuneDo

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I think you almost have to retake this class since it's a pre req. Since it's your first semester, you're not lost, but you'll have to work extra hard to raise your gpa.

6. powerbar17

Pre-Medical
    Will a B+ in differential and integral calculus hurt my chances of getting admitted to a top tier medical school?

7. stixx

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    No.

8. armybound

armybound urologist.
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    yes, you'll want to retake the D in calculus.

9. saqrfaraj

Physician 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Hahaha...I wonder what kind of behind-the-scenes action is going on to get that grade changed? :laugh:

10. EP123

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    RETAKE THAT ****!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

11. njbmd

njbmd Guest
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Retake any coursework that you received a grade less than B-. Don't retake that F grade at a community college if you received the original grade at a four-year university. You have more college ahead of you than behind you so figure out why you did poorly and don't get any more grades less than B+ in anything.

Make sure that you do competitively on the Medical College Admissions Test and that the rest of your grades stay high and you should be OK. You can explain one semester as youthful adjustment but don't hone any bad habits.

12. Lukkie

Lukkie Membership Revoked
    Removed

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    yeah def retake calculus.

13. powerbar17

Pre-Medical

I hope that is sarcasm