Low GPA. first year pre-med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CadetV

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This semester I acquired a 2.3 GPA because i received an F in Western Civ and a D in Calculus. The Western Civ grade was a fluke and will be corrected to an A within the next week but that still leaves the D in Calculus. If i do retake it, i will do it at the local community college. I would like to know if it would be worth it to retake this class. Because this is my first year of college and semester of college, I would like to know how bad my chances have been hurt of making it into med school.

Members don't see this ad.

While a D does nothing to help your application, it can be overcome. Definitely retake it and get an A. From here on out, you've got to get those A's though, to pull that GPA back up. But don't worry too much. It's only your first semester. If there's any semester to get a D in, it's the first. Med schools like to see upward trends for GPA's.

Best of luck!

definitely retake the D. Its only your first semester, you still have all of your other pre reqs and other courses you can do well in. Its not going to kill your chances, but you should definitely retake. The MD schools will do some sort of average, and if you end up applying DO, they will just take your highest grade and totally ignore the D as far as GPA calculation.

Members don't see this ad :)
This semester I acquired a 2.3 GPA because i received an F in Western Civ and a D in Calculus. The Western Civ grade was a fluke and will be corrected to an A within the next week but that still leaves the D in Calculus. If i do retake it, i will do it at the local community college. I would like to know if it would be worth it to retake this class. Because this is my first year of college and semester of college, I would like to know how bad my chances have been hurt of making it into med school.

I think you almost have to retake this class since it's a pre req. Since it's your first semester, you're not lost, but you'll have to work extra hard to raise your gpa.

Will a B+ in differential and integral calculus hurt my chances of getting admitted to a top tier medical school?

This semester I acquired a 2.3 GPA because i received an F in Western Civ and a D in Calculus. The Western Civ grade was a fluke and will be corrected to an A within the next week

Hahaha...I wonder what kind of behind-the-scenes action is going on to get that grade changed? :laugh:

Retake any coursework that you received a grade less than B-. Don't retake that F grade at a community college if you received the original grade at a four-year university. You have more college ahead of you than behind you so figure out why you did poorly and don't get any more grades less than B+ in anything.

Make sure that you do competitively on the Medical College Admissions Test and that the rest of your grades stay high and you should be OK. You can explain one semester as youthful adjustment but don't hone any bad habits.

yeah def retake calculus.