Low GPA from top 20 undergrad school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LAspy

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
did not find any recent threads on this, so posting it. Have low GPA ( GPA/sGPA =2.9) from top 20 competitive undergrad school, with degree in Comp Sci. What are my chances? is 515+ MCAT good enough to get MD or DO in any US schools. Would like to avoid Carribean if possible.

Members don't see this ad.

From advice I've been given (obviously take it with a grain of salt because everyone always has different situations and outcomes), that GPA is a red flag. Obviously a near perfect MCAT score/very good, like you said (515+) will obviously alleviate concerns of ADCOMS but not completely. A 2.9 stands out as "Will s/he be able to handle the rigorous medical school curriculum" since GPA and MCAT scores seem to be heavily weighted in ADCOMS at this time. That being said, in order to boost your chances, as pms_testosterone said, "take more courses ... get good grades in them", maybe a Post-Bac is necessary to prove you can handle those Med school classes.

As an addition: a GPA is a GPA, just because you're "Top 20 competitive undergrad" that doesn't necessarily give you a pass. From experiences I've had and heard of, just because you're from a "competitive" undergrad gives nobody a free pass. If you can rightfully justify your 2.9 in a personal statement, and you feel that justification can be heard in ADCOMs, then go for it, you can probably compete at at least the DO level. Your degree is in Comp sci, so what exactly is making it the 2.9? Is it the science/pre-med requirements if you're taking those? or is it your comp-sci courses?

Good luck with everything and I hope it works out!

You can get into a DO school for sure. I doubt you can get into a MD school. BUt you can try, you never know

518 (129/130/130/129) Kaplan 511 one week before test. Jan 19, 2017 MCAT