Low GPA, High DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ryanking

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
With 3.08 overall GPA, 3.05 science GPA, 23 AA, 24 ST, and 20 PAT, which schools should I apply to?? I'm a reapplicant.. I got rejected by NYU, Tufts, BU, USC, and Penn without interviews, and had only one interview offer from Columbia in 2006-2007 application cycle...:( What should I do to improve my chance to get in?? I am thinking about taking some science courses in Post-Bacc program. Also, I will retake DAT in June... Does anyone know which dental schools prefer low GPA and high DAT applicants rather than high GPA and low DAT applicants??

Members don't see this ad.

go to predents.com

You can use it to list your lists in desc / Asc GPA , DAT scores, etc etc.

man your DAT scores are sweeeeeeet !!!!
Did you apply late or something? Do you have much shadowing experience? How is your personal statment...

I was going to said Columbia is proberly the only school that loves HIGH DAT and is okay with a low GPA... but you said you didn't get into columbia last cycle....Do you have enough research expersience? try to get more research experisence and columbia should accept you..(I think)
your DAT is great! :thumbup: GOOD LUCK!

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied in May last year... I don't have any research experience...That is probably one of the main reasons why I got rejected by Columbia after the interview..
Thanks for the advises.

i dont have any research hours as well....i was being told by my advisor that research hours are not important for a predent...it matters a lot for a premed...oh my god am i in trouble now? i could have done research hours but i didnt! but i have ~100 shadowing hours & ~40 voluntary hours at hospital (still doing both)

in similiar situation with GPA and DAT.... Hoping all will workout....

With 3.08 overall GPA, 3.05 science GPA, 23 AA, 24 ST, and 20 PAT, which schools should I apply to?? I'm a reapplicant.. I got rejected by NYU, Tufts, BU, USC, and Penn without interviews, and had only one interview offer from Columbia in 2006-2007 application cycle...:( What should I do to improve my chance to get in?? I am thinking about taking some science courses in Post-Bacc program. Also, I will retake DAT in June... Does anyone know which dental schools prefer low GPA and high DAT applicants rather than high GPA and low DAT applicants??

Try UOP, unversity of pacific from CA.. i know they had some students w/ low gpa and high dat scores..ur dat scores r awesome, so think be4 retaking dat bcz if u r sure that ur scores will go up, then retake it..otherwise, try to boost ur gpa either by post-bacc or master program..gdluck..

Why on earth are you retaking your DAT? I mean it would be hard enough to bring everything up by even 1 point, and that won't mean anything to any school committee...

Work on the GPA.

Don't retake the DAT. No point in risking a higher score. Much greater chance (statistically) you will score lower than the chance you will score higher.

Re-apply. Get involved with volunteering. Shadow dentists. Show that you absolutely want to become a dentist, and the schools will see that. Good luck, and don't you dare retake the DAT. Effort poorly spent where you could work on other areas of improving your application.

Don't retake the DAT. No point in risking a higher score. Much greater chance (statistically) you will score lower than the chance you will score higher.

Re-apply. Get involved with volunteering. Shadow dentists. Show that you absolutely want to become a dentist, and the schools will see that. Good luck, and don't you dare retake the DAT. Effort poorly spent where you could work on other areas of improving your application.

DO NOT RETAKE THE DAT!!! Jeninny's got it right. Shadow, show your desire. Take some upper level science classes. This is what I did, and I got in on my reapp.

Okay, you need to show dental schools that you can actually do well in dental school. Your dental school curriculum will more difficult overall compared to your undergraduate curriculum. The classed will be a little bit more in depth, but the rate at which the material will be thrown at you will be like nothing you've ever experienced. Dental school admissions committees will most likely look at your undergrad grades (even though they may not reflect your abilities) and determine quickly that you will not be able to survive dental school because of your below average performance in a less rigorous program. You will actually prove to them that you can do it. I would recommend that you take at least 30 credit hours of graduate level SCIENCE courses and perform above average (i.e., >3.5). If you can do this, then you should be in a great position to have choices of dental schools if you apply early.

Good luck!

basically i am going to repeat what everone else said...DO NOT RETAKE DAT...statistically you cannot improve more than 1 or 2 points...and that does not prove anything...you got a great score the first time you took DAT...and that shows something! no need to improve on that

take more science courses & get more As...to prove that you can handle it ...improve your GPA...shadow dentist to show them that you know what dentistry is all about..