Low GPA/High MCAT CA ORM nontraditional

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oneplus

Reaction score
  1. 3.1 cGPA/ 2.99 sGPA (after DIY postbac of 21 science only credits: 2 A- (all other classes were A's))
  2. 519 MCAT: 130/130/130/129
  3. CA
  4. Asian ORM
  5. Top 25 uni
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
    1. 2800 hrs as paid ophthalmic tech
    2. 70 hrs as pt transport volunteer in hospital + 100 hrs during high school at same hospital (can this be included in my app?)
    3. 40 hrs as volunteer translator at community health fairs
    4. 40 hrs as volunteer translator on service trip
  7. Research experience and productivity
    1. published 1 paper after 80 hrs research
    2. 50 hrs in different lab/no paper
    3. 30 hrs in different lab/no paper
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented
    1. 20 hours in ED - followed residents
    2. 10 hrs ophthalmology
  9. Non-clinical volunteering
    1. 20 hrs adult english literacy tutor at local library (cut short by COVID)
    2. 40 hrs crisis text line (ongoing)
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
    1. Student advocate for campus health (associated with uni's office of health and wellness)
  11. Relevant honors or awards
    1. Recognized volunteer by CA Senate
Please give me suggestions for which schools might give me a chance with such a low GPA. I am not sure if I should keep taking classes during the application cycle (and hopefully update schools with new grades) or look for another clinical job.

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest these DO schools with your stats:
WESTERN
TUCOM-CA
AZCOM
TUNCOM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
UIWSOM
ACOM
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM
UNECOM
For MD schools you could try these:
Loma Linda (if you fit their mission)
California University
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
NOVA MD
TCU-UNT
Creighton
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State

Reactions: 1 user
Your non-clinical volunteering is really low. You need at least 50 hrs of shadowing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your non-clinical volunteering is really low. You need at least 50 hrs of shadowing.
Would my ~80 hrs of experience translating between physicians and patients count as shadowing? I was there for the duration of the patient encounter

Reactions: 1 user
Would my ~80 hrs of experience translating between physicians and patients count as shadowing? I was there for the duration of the patient encounter
Yes, you can count that towards both. In fact, being involved is more informative than just "shadowing".

Reactions: 1 users
How? I worked in a biochem lab at my undergrad (also a T20) for 2+ years and still haven't managed to get my name on a paper.
If you've been working there for 2+ years with no publication, I would urge you to reconsider your involvement in that lab. I tried 2 labs before finding a 3rd one where I got published because the PI was receptive to my dedication to the project and input.