General Admissions & OTCAS Low GPA - Info Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cadotstudent

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello there,

I just wanted to start a thread for those, who like me are have more limitations with regards to which schools to apply to due to a lower GPA.

What schools accept a lower cGPA?
What schools look at the last 60 units?
What schools look at all aspects of the application equally (if any)?

I will truly appreciate any input and I know there are also others on the same boat who will also appreciate the information! Also any previous or current students who have also applied with a lower GPA and have been admitted, please do share the experience and the school(s) you were admitted to.

Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there,

I would definitely try to take a few pre-reqs at a Comm. Colleges to up your GPA. Try to apply to programs that really are a good match with your background.

With that said, I think what people fail to recognize sometimes is that GPA needs to be viewed in context of the school, too. My undergrad GPA was a 3.14 and I was quite nervous when applying especially after reading some of the outstanding GPA stats on here. However, I went to a top 20 liberal arts school where teachers quite frankly did not believe in giving A's and a 3.4 was considered an awesome GPA. I think there is a ton of grade inflation out there; I went and took over 6 pre-reqs at Comm. Colleges and state schools and got straight A's with my eyes closed even in scenarios when I knew the quality of the work I was handing in was LESS than anything I did in undergrad. I strategically applied to programs that would likely understand the name of my undergrad program and would also appreciate my background from a small liberal arts school. I was accepted at Springfield College, AIC, and Salem State and waitlisted at Tufts with an overall GPA of around 3.3. Everyone's background is different so see what you can do to raise it a little bit and then sell yourself and you never know!

Hello!

So when looking to apply I mostly looked out for schools that looked at candidates holistically. Specifically for schools that held interviews or had supplemental essays were I could show what I had to offer. I also applied to schools that required GRE's because I did fairly well on them and I think it showed that im not just a GPA.

My GPA was a 3.014 and prereq was around a 3.4/3.5 depending on the school.
I ended up getting interviews for Chatham, MGH, and TJU. I got into TJU, waitlisted for Chatham and Salus, and accepted into University of Pitt and TJU. I took myself off the Chatham waitlist and didnt go to the MGH interview.

My best advice is to apply as early as possible, do a million drafts of your personal statement and resume, and reach out to schools/go to interest sessions.

GOOD luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello. Wishing you the best of luck. We have fielded this question 101 times. If you have a very low GPA my strong advice is to apply to schools which look at your last 60 credit hours. Hit google and "last 60 credit hour" occupational therapy programs. There are a few.
If your last 60 credit hours suck keep taking classes and getting a 3.8 and above. Your pre-reqs should be As and Bs with more As. Retake if you need to.

If you want the sure shot way to become an OT this is the path. Average GPAs to get into most programs are hovering med school levels: 3.7-3.8ish.

Agree with everything already said - look for the schools that look at the last 60 credits. Make sure you look into schools that offer interviews; if you're feeling ballsy, contact the school to see how much weight they put on the interview (I know University of St. Augustine weights it about 20%. However, definitely nowhere near the most affordable option out there.)

Reactions: 1 user
Hello!

So when looking to apply I mostly looked out for schools that looked at candidates holistically. Specifically for schools that held interviews or had supplemental essays were I could show what I had to offer. I also applied to schools that required GRE's because I did fairly well on them and I think it showed that im not just a GPA.

My GPA was a 3.014 and prereq was around a 3.4/3.5 depending on the school.
I ended up getting interviews for Chatham, MGH, and TJU. I got into TJU, waitlisted for Chatham and Salus, and accepted into University of Pitt and TJU. I took myself off the Chatham waitlist and didnt go to the MGH interview.

My best advice is to apply as early as possible, do a million drafts of your personal statement and resume, and reach out to schools/go to interest sessions.

GOOD luck!
Did you take the GRE?

Agree with everything already said - look for the schools that look at the last 60 credits. Make sure you look into schools that offer interviews; if you're feeling ballsy, contact the school to see how much weight they put on the interview (I know University of St. Augustine weights it about 20%. However, definitely nowhere near the most affordable option out there.)

I'll add that USC looks at applicants holistically as well, weighing each aspect about 20% each (GPA, GRE, LOR, essays, volunteering). As someone stated above, look for schools that look at last 60 units overall (not just last 60 units of UNDERGRAD... some schools are unclear picky so I contact them). Some schools even do last 50 or last 45 units. Just gotta do your research.

I'll add that USC looks at applicants holistically as well, weighing each aspect about 20% each (GPA, GRE, LOR, essays, volunteering). As someone stated above, look for schools that look at last 60 units overall (not just last 60 units of UNDERGRAD... some schools are unclear picky so I contact them). Some schools even do last 50 or last 45 units. Just gotta do your research.

Sounds great. USC is amazing. Their tuition is astronomical. Please keep an eye on tuition people. An OT degree that costs 6 figures is a really really hard thing to justify imho.