Low GPA, need advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JayMcDent

UCSC undergrad
7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You are going to need another degree at 4.0 to bring your GPA to the low end of possible. It might be prudent to explore other career possibilities.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would informal post bacs work? But how does a informal work and is it better than formal? Or could I just take cc classes?

Is being a dental assistant beneath you?

That's just not something I want to pursue.

Would informal post bacs work? But how does a informal work and is it better than formal? Or could I just take cc classes?
If you can get a 4.0 for the next 8 semesters any one of the options will work. But after that you will probably have to do some sort of master's still.

Taking one or two CC classes to get you back in the swing of studying isn't a bad thing. However, the bulk of your come-back work should not be at CC. It will be perceived, and correctly, that you couldn't hang at a 4-year place so dropped down a level and are excelling there. That tells AdComs that you excel at CC level, which is a long way from dental school level.

How informal post bacs work has been discussed at length in the forum. Do some reading and it will be come apparent.

Re: the # of years of recovery. You have a long road ahead of you, at least two full time years at university level to even have a shot at a SMP, and then you are another 2 years away from matriculating (year of SMP and a glide year). So you are 4-years MINIMUM (if you get As in everything) from being competitive for dental school. More probable is 5 years, maybe even 6 if you don't pull As. If you want this road, then there are no short cuts.

There is no "i f*cked up college and found a secret 6 mo back door into med/dent school".

Taking one or two CC classes to get you back in the swing of studying isn't a bad thing. However, the bulk of your come-back work should not be at CC. It will be perceived, and correctly, that you couldn't hang at a 4-year place so dropped down a level and are excelling there. That tells AdComs that you excel at CC level, which is a long way from dental school level.

How informal post bacs work has been discussed at length in the forum. Do some reading and it will be come apparent.

Re: the # of years of recovery. You have a long road ahead of you, at least two full time years at university level to even have a shot at a SMP, and then you are another 2 years away from matriculating (year of SMP and a glide year). So you are 4-years MINIMUM (if you get As in everything) from being competitive for dental school. More probable is 5 years, maybe even 6 if you don't pull As. If you want this road, then there are no short cuts.

There is no "i f*cked up college and found a secret 6 mo back door into med/dent school".
Its just dent school that's like this. There is a backdoor into med school for sure. Its called DO and Caribbean. Or you could spend 2-3 years getting a nursing degree and then later become a CRNA. Beat the system, don't be enslaved by it!

Its just dent school that's like this. There is a backdoor into med school for sure. Its called DO and Caribbean. Or you could spend 2-3 years getting a nursing degree and then later become a CRNA. Beat the system, don't be enslaved by it!
DO yes, Carib no. You should do some more reading on the current number projections of US MD and DO graduates filling all residency seats within the next few years, meaning the back door for the Carib is closing shut very quickly.

The DO schools that are easy to get into are no better than the Carib.

Getting in is no gift unless you're ready to compete for worthwhile residencies & jobs on the other side. You don't get a discount if you "only" do primary care.

If you think you can beat the med ed system then you have no idea what that system is.