Untitled

7+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2009
Canada
Status
Pre-Dental
Hey guys.

So, here's my story.
I just graduated from an undergraduate program at a Canadian University earlier this year. I'm looking to apply to dental schools in Canada and the USA this year. Here's the thing - my cGPA is just shy of a 3.0 (had a really bad 1st year of uni). I don't want to give up on applying but my question to you is: would it be worthwhile going back to my uni part-time and take a few courses to bump up my cGPA, or try for a Masters program? I've already done a 5th year of uni. The next thing is, I haven't been able to acquire enough LOR's to be able to apply to many schools (most of my profs say they don't know me well enough or they don't have time). Does anyone have any suggestions of what I should or could do?

Thanks in advance.

Typical Average Student

5+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2014
Houston, TX
Status
Dental Student
Begin a masters program to get your GPA up, talk with your professors to get to know them and apply in the future. Then again, there are plenty of people that got in with a gpa below 3.0 but it is quite difficult so if you want to make it worthwhile, pursue a 1 year masters and apply the next or following cycle. Good luck! Patience is key.

May 19, 2015
Status
Pre-Dental
For the Canadian schools: some schools will knock off your worst year, but then your other years would have to be around the 3.8 or 3.9 range. If I were you, I'd focus on American schools, maybe take some classes and really make an effort to get to know your professors.

OP
Untitled

Untitled

7+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2009
Canada
Status
Pre-Dental
Actually... I can't say much without your DAT scores.
My scores range between 18 and 20. My AA: 19

I just graduated from a 5-year undergrad program but I'm thinking if i should take an extra course part-time through distance study to boost my GPA or if I should just leave it.