low gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

muscan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

muscan said:
Hi guys,

i had my ece evaluation done and i had a gpa of 2.5 later i got my evaluation done again with WES www.wes.org and now my GPA is 3.53 .NYU rejected me cuz of my low GPA ,later after i got it reevaluated they accpted me ,so for all those with low GPA there is hope,keep trying.Hope this helps.

Muscan.

:eek: :wow: :eek:

Are you sure you submitted the same transcripts to both institutions???

Hi muscan

I am really surpised i thought it usualy makes a difference of 0.1-0.2 points but in ur case its a huge difference.

If u dont mind can u please tell us what makes u think NYU rejected u cuz of gpa cuz i thought all that matters is good part-1 score

Best of luck with the college

BOND

Members don't see this ad :)
muscan said:
Hi guys,

i had my ece evaluation done and i had a gpa of 2.5 later i got my evaluation done again with WES www.wes.org and now my GPA is 3.53 .NYU rejected me cuz of my low GPA ,later after i got it reevaluated they accpted me ,so for all those with low GPA there is hope,keep trying.Hope this helps.

Muscan.
:eek: :confused: :idea:
thanks muscan.........for the info.....

thank you for the information........it just might be helpful!

Errr Guys..I need to know if there is any advantage of going for WES instead of ECE..I do see that ECE course-by-course is about 15$ cheaper than WES. So what's the difference?

AjayDas said:
Errr Guys..I need to know if there is any advantage of going for WES instead of ECE..I do see that ECE course-by-course is about 15$ cheaper than WES. So what's the difference?
Looking at muscan's experience i think you should go for a WES evaluation.

Well that might just be a freak accident...I think attempts also make a diference in the GPA. That MIGHT have been overlooked or something like that. Otherwise, it really doesn't make sense having such a HUGE difference!

Also, the cost of forwarding the Evaluation cost from WES is 40$ for the first copy and then 15$ per copy..Way too high compared to ECE. ..Wondering ..Should I send my papers to WES hoping like crazy that Muscan's luck would rub off on me too.. ;)

p.s what did you do on the day you sent your papers to WES Muscan? ;)

Hai ajaydas,

WES may be priced higher but there is a remarkable increase in GPA when compared to ECE.It's not only in muscan's case but one of my buddies got it done in WES after a low GPA frm ECE.The increase is as dramatic as muscan's.I think WES don't consider the attempts but ECE does, that's why the low GPA.
Well.. now u think about whether to save u'r dad's money r get a better GPA... ;)

By the way i liked u;r revising the decks idea, :idea: ....Way to go Ajay..

U'r best buddy
gorur :love:

Thanks Gorur,

So I guess it's WES for me now!!!! Dad will curse the day I joined SDN :))

p.s Gorur, Thanks for being my pal...errr U guy or girl? Don't want to repeat lol

myself and my friends have experienced a considerable difference in the WES GPA as compared to ECE. and it had nothing to do with the number of attempts, coz all of us had only one attempt. i really did not understand the reason for the difference though. I had posted about this long time ago on sdn, but again there where several threads stating that there was not much of a diff in their gpas with ece and wes.

I had gotten my transcripts by WES long time ago, when i was applying for my masters (3 yrs ago), and last year I got the ECE evaluation done(as i was under the impression most dental schools needed ECE evaluation in particular) and i had requested some 10 copies, expecting the same score as WES, but since my WES scores where better i ended up sending that (after checking with the schools that they accepted WES evaluation).

some of my friends also got it done by GES - global educational services.

most schools accept wes and ece. like i said in another thread- for me it made a 0.1 difference i.e., it went from 3.79 to 3.89. i would suggest that if your gpa is really low, wes is worth considering since gpa does make a difference if all other things are equal between 2 candidates. u do need ece for ndbe - so go ahead and get a course-by-course done right away to apply for ndbe and then later on get a wes eval done and compare and send the one that is better. we are talking about at least 100thou for dental education...so a few dollars spent now on evals wont make much difference if it means getting into the school of your dreams.

good luck! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Itsme for the info...Would be great if someone could lemme know which colleges are not accepting WES.

grr...life is soo complicated.

I think of it as an investment, if I had to do it again, I'll go ahead an invest the money in getting both evaluations done. After seeing the results then decide wich way to go and where. For a substancial increase in my GPA I think is worth the try.

AjayDas said:
Thanks Itsme for the info...Would be great if someone could lemme know which colleges are not accepting WES.

grr...life is soo complicated.

Maybe you should go to each school website, find out, and then post a thread about it. ;) :p I'm sure everyone will appreciate it. :D :p

meggs said:
I think of it as an investment, if I had to do it again, I'll go ahead an invest the money in getting both evaluations done. After seeing the results then decide wich way to go and where. For a substancial increase in my GPA I think is worth the try.
I agree with u meggs :luck:

Well Meggs..believe it or not, i have already started making one ;)

muscan said:
Hi guys,

Muscan.

hi muscan,well even my g.p.a was incresed to 3.4(wes)from 2.9(ece).i was rejected at nyu bcoz of low g.p.a.88 in my baords.when did you send u r new g.p.a (wes one)to nyu.are there any chances of asking them nowto review my application again.just for an idea.thank you.

tempabc said:
hi muscan,well even my g.p.a was incresed to 3.4(wes)from 2.9(ece).i was rejected at nyu bcoz of low g.p.a.88 in my baords.when did you send u r new g.p.a (wes one)to nyu.are there any chances of asking them nowto review my application again.just for an idea.thank you.

Glad to see new members join in and share such experiences with us. Thank you Tempabc and Muscan . :thumbup: We all learn from it. I, for example, am hitting my head agaisnt a wall for not knowing this before. +pissed+

Wait, now coming to think of this. The people that have had the GPA increase experience with WES (like itsme, muscan, tempabc, toothmail, gorur,etc), are you all from India?

'cause now I'm thinking this MAY only happen with the Indian grading system.
Somebody? :confused:

What if my documents are not in English?
If your documents are not in English, you must submit precise word-for-word English translations together with your foreign-language documents. WES does not provide translation services. Translations prepared by the school or university that you attended or by authorized translators in your home country are acceptable. If you need to find a translator in the U.S., you may wish to contact University Language Services, Inc. 1-800-419-4601. Outside the U.S., call 212-766-4111. This information is provided for your convenience only. All arrangements must be made directly with the translation service of your choice.

This is from ECE:
English translations for each document submitted. You may prepare the translations yourself, as long as they are complete, literal, word-for-word, and in the same format as the Spanish document.

So for non natives English speakers like myself, ECE saves me the translation money, 'cause I did them by myself. While WES requires proffessional translation. :(

meggs said:
This is from ECE:

So for non natives English speakers like myself, ECE saves me the translation money, 'cause I did them by myself. While WES requires proffessional translation. :(

Looks like it should be worth spending for proffessional translation.
considering it as one of the investments :D

meggs said:
Wait, now coming to think of this. The people that have had the GPA increase experience with WES (like itsme, muscan, tempabc, toothmail, gorur,etc), are you all from India?

'cause now I'm thinking this MAY only happen with the Indian grading system.
Somebody? :confused:

yep, iam an indian from rajiv gandhi university.

i think its a rationale issue,if you get a low GPA it would work better for you if you go with WES,but as toothmail she has already a high GPA so it dident make a big difference for her as muscan and others,still its a worth a try.

Grrrr..The problem is with people like me who don't know what their GPA is.

Hi all,
Reading this thread has put me in so much confusion now :scared: , I have so many questions...I agree I had heard before on SDN and someone I know who tried getting their eval done again from WES got a significant change in their GPA.
But, I am not sure what ECE takes into consideration.I don't mean to boast(just pointing out some details) when I say I ranked 1st in my college throughout back in India and also got a few Gold medals from my school apart from scoring a good rank in the University during my final year but somehow ended up with a GPA of 3.44.
I am from Rajiv Gandhi University and passed out last year.Is it because the University is relatively "young" (but then ,I didn't ask anyone to combine all the 40+ schools in Karnataka into 1 University a few years ago , right! :( )...........or is there anything I am missing here :confused: :confused: ?

elementz said:
.I don't mean to boast(just pointing out some details) when I say I ranked 1st in my college throughout back in India and also got a few Gold medals from my school apart from scoring a good rank in the University during my final year but somehow ended up with a GPA of 3.44.
I am from Rajiv Gandhi University and passed out last year.Is it because the University is relatively "young" (but then ,I didn't ask anyone to combine all the 40+ schools in Karnataka into 1 University a few years ago , right! :( )...........or is there anything I am missing here :confused: :confused: ?

Your ranking in your school, class, group, country, etc. has nothing to do with the GPA you end up getting when an evaluation is done on your grade transcripts. All they take into account is the amount of credit the subject has versus the grade you got in that subject. There are GPA calculators on the net, google them if you want.

In the Western educational system the credit the subject has depends on how many theoric and practice hours does the individual subject has. And the grade is that A+-,B+-, C+-,D+- or F+-.

Some schools might the differ the name calling for the ABC grades, for Pass/Fail system or for the High, Medium, Low, Very low system. It depends on the school and/or the country.

At the end if your GPA is higher than that of your classmates, then your ranking is decided. I mean, GPA affects ranking, but ranking doesn't affect GPA. Does this makes sense? Hope I didn't confuse you even more.... :luck:

EDIT: Your school reputation, longevity, prestige, size, class size or anything else for that matters affects the GPA. You can get a GPA even if you were home schooled!. :)

Will schools consider a new GPA by WES after they have already recieved one from ECE?

Hey Elements,

My friends who were pretty decent in their academics...1'st class...not Distinction!..got a gpa of 3.7
Something tells me that RGU's reputation has increased in their eyes

elementz, ur gpa has nothing to do with ur performance at ur school. even if we did great, gpa is a calculation involving credit hours and scores only. it depends a lot on the curriculum and number of hours assigned to a subject by our university, and of course our scores. dont sweat the gpa...u cant change it now....and they look at our ndbe scores first... :luck:

meggs said:
I mean, GPA affects ranking, but ranking doesn't affect GPA. Does this makes sense? Hope I didn't confuse you even more.... :luck:

EDIT: Your school reputation, longevity, prestige, size, class size or anything else for that matters affects the GPA. You can get a GPA even if you were home schooled!. :)

Thanks Meggs, seeing it in a different light and perspective makes things seem less overwhelming and you sure didn't confuse me, I get the idea..but then, I guess there's not much that can be done now...
and WOW! home schooling also gets a GPA...now thats something new to me!Trust you meggs to keep coming with so many less known facts!

P.s. I shall look up GPA calculators in any case..thanks again!

AjayDas said:
Hey Elements,

My friends who were pretty decent in their academics...1'st class...not Distinction!..got a gpa of 3.7
Something tells me that RGU's reputation has increased in their eyes

I guess thinking that way is a comfort :) ...I have to look around and find someone to blame :D :D :D

toothmail said:
dont sweat the gpa...u cant change it now....and they look at our ndbe scores first... :luck:

Good advice...thanks a ton!...I guess I should make it up in the scores when I finally plan on taking up part-2 (or even retake part-1 ;) )... :)

elementz said:
I guess thinking that way is a comfort :) ...I have to look around and find someone to blame :D :D :D

Definitely Elementz!. Blaming somebody else really helps!

I still blame my parents for my looks:D :D

AjayDas said:
Definitely Elementz!. Blaming somebody else really helps!

I still blame my parents for my looks:D :D
Hey that is soo cool :cool: I guess all the 'new ' applicants should get their gpa's from both ECE and WES.
When we apply in so many school,pay for the dexterity test and other expenses I guess gpa is a good investment..
All the best guys

pinktooth said:
Hey that is soo cool :cool: I guess all the 'new ' applicants should get their gpa's from both ECE and WES.
When we apply in so many school,pay for the dexterity test and other expenses I guess gpa is a good investment..
All the best guys
thanks pink tooth.........

muscan said:
Hi guys,

Muscan.

Hi Muscan,
I submitted my application with wes for evaluation and i got a mail from them stating that my degree would be send to my univ for confirmation ,IS this usual??
I dont remember anything on the web mentioning that they will verify the degree from the home country. How long did it get u to get ur evaluation? i am just worried that its going to take a long time for them to verify it , wold it help if i send them the notarized copy of the degree?
thnax
BOND

Bond said:
I submitted my application with wes for evaluation and i got a mail from them stating that my degree would be send to my univ for confirmation ,IS this usual??
I dont remember anything on the web mentioning that they will verify the degree from the home country.

You bet they'll do it!!! Did you think they just were to take your word for it?? Nahhh. ECE for sure contacts the school to verify the facts. These institutions aren't naive (as we are), they know fraud exists, so they make sure they've go the school green light before proceeding.

They won't mention it on their website, 'cause they assume you have nothing to fear, if you ask, they'll probably tell you :why should you want to know it ahead of time?

Meggs said:
You bet they'll do it!!! Did you think they just were to take your word for it?? Nahhh. ECE for sure contacts the school to verify the facts. These institutions aren't naive (as we are), they know fraud exists, so they make sure they've go the school green light before proceeding.

They won't mention it on their website, 'cause they assume you have nothing to fear, if you ask, they'll probably tell you :why should you want to know it ahead of time?
Meggs
Good to see u after such a long time? how r u?
Well i was surprised that they verify it well Ece didnt verify anthing from back home.And i am just concern cuz our educational system is not as good as it is here and the people is the admsitrative dept r not good with these kinds of jobs.Well its good that they told me now i can ask my father to go to college and ask them to give them the green light itother wise its going to do ages for them to send something here.

Bond said:
Meggs
Good to see u after such a long time? how r u?
Well i was surprised that they verify it well Ece didnt verify anthing from back home.And i am just concern cuz our educational system is not as good as it is here and the people is the admsitrative dept r not good with these kinds of jobs.Well its good that they told me now i can ask my father to go to college and ask them to give them the green light itother wise its going to do ages for them to send something here.

Chances are ECE did verify it with your school, you just don't know it. I'm sure ECE and institutions alike are used to dealing with foreign schools admnistratives employees. They probably know how to get the info from them.

Meggs said:
Chances are ECE did verify it with your school, you just don't know it. I'm sure ECE and institutions alike are used to dealing with foreign schools admnistratives employees. They probably know how to get the info from them.

May be ur right.

Hi all
My GPA as evaluated by ECE 1st time was 2.58 but my classmate who has almost same percentage as me had a GPA of around 3.2. I wrote a letter to ECE explaining this, after 15 days I got a new GPA of 3.14, mistakes happen so better to compare u r gpa to that of u r friends or check on SDN just to be sure. hopefully this will help people getting their evaluations from ECE.

oletyrags said:
Hi all
My GPA as evaluated by ECE 1st time was 2.58 but my classmate who has almost same percentage as me had a GPA of around 3.2. I wrote a letter to ECE explaining this, after 15 days I got a new GPA of 3.14, mistakes happen so better to compare u r gpa to that of u r friends or check on SDN just to be sure. hopefully this will help people getting their evaluations from ECE.

oletyrags what did u write in the letter.
I mean did u mentioned the name of ur friend?
Did u guys had same scores in all the subjects?
Did they ask for anyother documents?
and the last thing u said to check the gpa on sdn how can i do that????

Hi Bond
My scores were similar not same thats y my friend got 3.2 plus and I got 3.14. I called them and talked to them about this. they asked me to send in a written letter asking them to reevaluate keeping this new information in mind. No i didn't give them my friends name, didn't want to get my friend into trouble. When i said check in SDN i meant search the links cos some links have people discussing their percentages and GPA's. hope this info helps u.

thnax oletyrags for all the info

BOND

Hey guys,
I too got my evaluation done at ece and got a GPA of 3.1.
After reading this thread I sent my documents to WES.I was pleasently surprised that my GPA is now 3.72.
From my experience,I encourage those who have low GPAs to go ahead and get your evaluation done through WES.
Good luck.

divya said:
Hey guys,
I too got my evaluation done at ece and got a GPA of 3.1.
After reading this thread I sent my documents to WES.I was pleasently surprised that my GPA is now 3.72.
From my experience,I encourage those who have low GPAs to go ahead and get your evaluation done through WES.
Good luck.

Congrats on that divya! :) I do have a question, are you from a country like India or Pakistan, where the grading system is expressed on percentages? Or are you from a country where grades are given in As and Bs?

I think this is the key here. The discrepances in "translating" the grades from percentages to letters (As and Bs), is what causes ECE to award you such low GPA although that's not the right one.

You'll think ECE personel must be experts in different grading systems around the world, beign such a large institution like it is. But it seems like they fail to convert grades right from system to system. :rolleyes:

Perhaps you guys should unite and sign some kind of letter /petition/ document demanding ECE to explain their convertion system and/or try to improve it. I'm sure ECE must have received letters like this in the past, but perseverance pays. :luck:

Meggs said:
Congrats on that divya! :) I do have a question, are you from a country like India or Pakistan, where the grading system is expressed on percentages? Or are you from a country where grades are given in As and Bs?

I think this is the key here. The discrepances in "translating" the grades from percentages to letters (As and Bs), is what causes ECE to award you such low GPA although that's not the right one.

You'll think ECE personel must be experts in different grading systems around the world, beign such a large institution like it is. But it seems like they fail to convert grades right from system to system. :rolleyes:

Perhaps you guys should unite and sign some kind of letter /petition/ document demanding ECE to explain their convertion system and/or try to improve it. I'm sure ECE must have received letters like this in the past, but perseverance pays. :luck:

I'm from India.In dental school we are given marks as a percentage.Yes,it is surprising as to why such large institutions have not found a standardised way to convert Gpa's.Thanks for your wishes.