Low GRE Scores for DPT Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nita C

Reaction score
UPDATE!!
Hi everyone, I recently applied to two schools that offer a flex DPT program. The schools are Nova Southeastern University and University of St. Augustine. I didn’t do well the first time I took the GRE and I scored below 150 on both sections with a 3.5 in writing. I recently retook it studying with Magoosh and I only improved by 5 points and I’m still below the minimum for St. Augustine by 4 points. The GRE is such a struggle for me and I’m so exhausted studying myself to death. I’m considering applying for a master’s program in human movement. I know that it’s really a waste of money, but I think I would benefit by raising my gpa and I wouldn’t have to take the GRE for PT school. Has anyone took the master’s route and then applied to PT school? I’m also an Athletic Trainer and I work at a chiropractic clinic.

Cgpa: 3.47
Pgpa: 3.1-3.4 (depending on the school)
GRE: Q:145 V:144 W3.5
GRE2: Q:144 V:145 W4.0

Interviews: USA

Attending USA

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Have you thought about applying to programs that don’t require GRE?

Have you thought about applying to programs that don’t require GRE?
I unfortunately don't have many options because I need to do a hybrid program so that I can still work as an AT. I'm going to keep looking for schools though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I unfortunately don't have many options because I need to do a hybrid program so that I can still work as an AT. I'm going to keep looking for schools though.
I applied to a few hybrid programs that don’t require GRE. UPitt and USC have one!

Reactions: 1 user
Have you tired to use a study course like Kaplan for the GRE or have you only been self studying? I used Kaplan and it really improved my score. Some of the courses are expensive, but my guess is that it would be a lot cheaper compared to a master's program.

Also I would check with programs to see if they consider your GPA in a masters program. A lot of programs may only take your undergrad GPA into consideration so in that case it would be better to retake some classes at a community college to bump up your gpa.

Reactions: 1 users
Have you tired to use a study course like Kaplan for the GRE or have you only been self studying? I used Kaplan and it really improved my score. Some of the courses are expensive, but my guess is that it would be a lot cheaper compared to a master's program.
Yes! I paid for Magoosh and I watched over 100 lessons but I still struggled a lot. I'm not sure what I want to do if I get rejected from these schools.

Hi everyone, I recently applied to two schools that offer a flex DPT program. The schools are Nova Southeastern University and University of St. Augustine. I didn’t do well the first time I took the GRE and I scored below 150 on both sections with a 3.5 in writing. I recently retook it studying with Magoosh and I only improved by 5 points and I’m still below the minimum for St. Augustine by 4 points. The GRE is such a struggle for me and I’m so exhausted studying myself to death. I’m considering applying for a master’s program in human movement. I know that it’s really a waste of money, but I think I would benefit by raising my gpa and I wouldn’t have to take the GRE for PT school. Has anyone took the master’s route and then applied to PT school? I’m also an Athletic Trainer and I work at a chiropractic clinic.

Cgpa: 3.47
Pgpa: 3.1-3.4 (depending on the school)
GRE: Q:145 V:144 (2nd attempt and still waiting on the writing score)
Hi there, I am a fellow AT and I was just accepted into the Tufts Boston DPT program. It's a 2 year hybrid program. I didn't do well on the GRE's either. That test is literally my enemy. Tufts has a new program based out of Arizona look into it, the deadline is March and they start in June. I start my journey in January and I will be working as a high school AT while completing the program. I blindly took the GRE's in Oct. and I believe I barely scored a 150 on each part. I would've applied to USC but the price was insane!!!

Franklin Pierce in Arizona is hybrid and has no minimum GPA. They're still accepting applications. They had no supplemental questions and didn't do interviews. I have a lower GPA than you and got accepted last week

Hi there, I am a fellow AT and I was just accepted into the Tufts Boston DPT program. It's a 2 year hybrid program. I didn't do well on the GRE's either. That test is literally my enemy. Tufts has a new program based out of Arizona look into it, the deadline is March and they start in June. I start my journey in January and I will be working as a high school AT while completing the program. I blindly took the GRE's in Oct. and I believe I barely scored a 150 on each part. I would've applied to USC but the price was insane!!!
Thank you so much!! I'm going to look into it and congrats on your acceptance!

Members don't see this ad :)
Franklin Pierce in Arizona is hybrid and has no minimum GPA. They're still accepting applications. They had no supplemental questions and didn't do interviews. I have a lower GPA than you and got accepted last week
Woops meant to say no minimum GRE. It does look like they accepted about 80 people for their 50 seat cohort already since there's about 80 people in the zoom invite to the webinar for people accepted

Woops meant to say no minimum GRE. It does look like they accepted about 80 people for their 50 seat cohort already since there's about 80 people in the zoom invite to the webinar for people accepted
Oh wow! I'll look into that school. Congrats on your acceptance!

When did you apply?

When did you apply

I applied sept 1st
I applied November 29 and app is under review on Dec 9. Hopefully I can get a spot still even though you said there’s 80 acceptances sent out already

What's GRE score requirements for St Augustine now? Used to be 294 or 296. If you meet their minimal requirements, they will accept you.

What's GRE score requirements for St Augustine now? Used to be 294 or 296. If you meet their minimal requirements, they will accept you.
It’s 294 now. I got a 293. Do you think I’ll get in?

I applied November 29 and app is under review on Dec 9. Hopefully I can get a spot still even though you said there’s 80 acceptances sent out already
Only about 20 people attended the accepted student zoom. I'm still debating, but I'm unlikely to accept my seat since I got accepted to a non-hybrid school

I scored below the minimum but, they granted me an interview for next week so fingers crossed!

Did you apply for summer cohort? I applied for fall but haven’t heard anything back yet besides my application being sent to admissions this was on Nov 16
I scored below the minimum but, they granted me an interview for next week so fingers crossed!

It’s 294 now. I got a 293. Do you think I’ll get in?
I don't know. But I heard from another person years ago, besides the one who responded above, that they gave him interview and accepted him with a lower GRE. I scored 293 myself and struggling ALOT with GRE, could never get 150 on reading part, but retook it to meet the minimum requirements. Also just FYI every single person who got interviews for Flex got accepted. I'd retake it again if you have time. I took that damn test 3 times; the worst and non-sensical test on earth! Boards were easier.

Did you apply for summer cohort? I applied for fall but haven’t heard anything back yet besides my application being sent to admissions this was on Nov 16
Yes, I applied for summer towards the end of October. They called me and told me I'm eligble to start this January instead.

Hi guys I just wanted to give an update. I have been accepted to USA and I’ll be starting this spring. Good luck to all other applicants!